Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard of the Year 2005 Nominations

felix

For several years now, we've nominated and voted on Keyboard of the Year. Here's the old thread:

Keyboard of the Year thread Keyboard of the Year thread

So what are your nominations for 2005?

(This should be a lively one - maybe now that 5 years have passed we'll have some perspective that we didn't then.)

Here are a few that, from what I can tell, were released in 2005:

Alesis Fusion

Dave Smith Instruments PolyEvolver Keyboard

Korg OASYS

Moog Voyager Rack

Roland GW7

Roland RD300SX/RD700SX

Yamaha S90ES

All suggestions are welcome.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oooh, tough one.

PEK for return to analog.

Oasys for demonstrating the immense power possible in hardware.

S90es for all around killer gigging board.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

So what are your nominations for 2005?

(This should be a lively one - maybe now that 5 years have passed we'll have some perspective that we didn't then.)

I wonder if we'll finally have a discussion about the OASYS that's based on its merits and not its price.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Korg OASYS. While I couldn't bring myself to buy one, I saw it as the first, self-contained KB workstation/studio. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Korg OASYS. While I couldn't bring myself to buy one, I saw it as the first, self-contained KB workstation/studio. :cool:

I made a major upgrade to my studio just months before the OASYS was announced. I had spent around $14,000 IIRC, almost double what the OASYS cost. I had invested heavily in virtual instruments, blazingly fast hard drives, and a maxed-out, high-end computer; and I had spent at least a month to install the software, wire the hardware and set everything up. At the time, I was also struggling to get everything to be stable. Later, after about two years of computer problems, I eventually discovered that I had bad RAM all along. I lost both time and data because of the bad RAM; but after I replaced it, my troubles went away.

The OASYS gave me a good case of buyer's remorse because straight out of the box, it did most of what my system did and at a fraction of the cost. It was a lot more portable too. My system had turned out to be a real time pit. I can't begin to count the days I wasted setting up, troubleshooting, and maintaining it. If the OASYS had been out when I upgraded my system, I could have purchased it instead. I would have started making music right away instead of a month later and kept on making music without troubleshooting and maintenance issues.

From my point of view it was a real shame that so many people attacked Korg for how expensive the OASYS was. Compared to my system, it was a deal!

If Korg had released a successor to the OASYS that was as competitive with my current system as the old OASYS had been with my former system, I would have seriously considered buying it instead of spending over $8,000 to buy another computer and upgrade my software, along with another month of my time to set it up. But since that option doesn't exist, I know I made the best choice this time around -- and my current setup is a lot more stable than the last one was too.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• 1 year later...
That's interesting, Felix. In what way has your impression of OASYS been affected?

As for me, the two keyboards that blew me away back then were the PEK and the OASYS; and those are the two I would vote for today.

Best,

Geoff

When OASYS debuted, so much of reaction was tied to price. Granted, OASYS was expensive so price deserved to be part of the conversation, but as all of us who were participating in the forum then know, there were many other valid discussion points.

Especially now with the release of Kronos, There's definitely something to OASYS' role in keyboard history.

Archived