Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2010-2011 Thread

Geoff Grace

I didn't put too much stock in the Skins' showing last week against the Bills, and I don't attach too much significance to this week's poor showing against the Ravens. It is preseason, after all.

Still, I look at the Skins and I see a team that fundamentally has the same problems on offense that it had last year -- aging RBs, one of the worst O-lines in the league, and no big possession receivers to allow Moss to stretch the field. Is D-Mac an improvement over Campbell? Sure. To me, however, this year will really be a test of the theory that coaches and schemes (not personnel) can help drive victories in the NFL. If Shanny Sr. and Jr. to turn this offense into something successful, I'll be pretty darn impressed. At the moment, I'm not optimistic the team will be any better than 8-8.

Noah

Agreed.

I think the Shanny schemes could work and they will end up 10-6. That is, providing they can keep those old legs healthy and get the other pieces to gel PDQ. :laugh:

Happy b-day Noah. I'll catch up in age one day. :wave::thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Raiders apparent;y looked pretty decent beating Chicago for their 2nd preseason win (hey, I'll take whatever I can get :D ).

You know who else might actually be a surprise? Detroit. With all the high picks they've had over the past few years, there's a whole lot of seriously talented guys on that team at this point - Johnson and Stafford were already there, and the addition of Suh (plus offseason acquisition Kyle Van Den Bosch) looks like it may really round the Lions out nicely. They looked very good beating the Broncos in Denver yesterday.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

...And now, we have the Bolts vs. the Cowboys in my local area, so I stand double corrected.

So, Governor Silver, how does it feel to have the entire forum rooting for your team tonight? ;)

Best,

Geoff

Lol, Geoff.

The Cowboys were a better test than the Bears. The game wasn't broadcast here in DC, so I'll have to wait for NFL Network to replay it. The Charger D must have done well, since the Cowboys O was unable to enter Charger territory until the fumble play, in which Rivers made a TD-saving tackle. Ryan Matthews statisticially had another nice showing, but I want to see the video.

Leftwich threw a strike to Wallace for a 68 yard TD which was pretty impressive.

*Grrrr* I'm so routing for Dixon to be the 2nd string QB after this Steelers pre-season(plus 4). I have a lot of hope for this young man long term.

TROLL . . . ish.

Mecca:

There are a lot of people that like Dixon in Pittsburgh. He competes, and he wants to play. I think he did a great job while he was in there, I watched the entire game. Maybe between the two of them the Steelers won't get smoked in all the games that Ben is suspended. Dixon can run as well as throw. But in the NFL, running QBs eventually get carted off the field on a stretcher. Not good.

Eli got nailed by his own team and got a big slash on his forehead for good measure.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

You know who else might actually be a surprise? Detroit. With all the high picks they've had over the past few years, there's a whole lot of seriously talented guys on that team at this point - Johnson and Stafford were already there, and the addition of Suh (plus offseason acquisition Kyle Van Den Bosch) looks like it may really round the Lions out nicely. They looked very good beating the Broncos in Denver yesterday.

The NFC North is shaping up to be a strong division.

And the AFC West? Let's hope it's a better division than last year.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

How hyped am I about the approaching season? I dreamt last night that I was the quarterback for the panthers (not my favourite team, even if they are named for a big cat) and I had trouble learning the playbook - misidentified a blitz, and couldnt draw all the receivers' routes from memory. coach had me running extra laps.

interesting to see what I will be dreaming once the season starts...:)

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

I dreamt last night that I was the quarterback for the panthers (not my favourite team, even if they are named for a big cat) and I had trouble learning the playbook - misidentified a blitz, and couldnt draw all the receivers' routes from memory. coach had me running extra laps.

Adding insult to injury, you didn't really have any WRs on the field considering Steve Smith is out with a broken arm. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

...And now, we have the Bolts vs. the Cowboys in my local area, so I stand double corrected.

So, Governor Silver, how does it feel to have the entire forum rooting for your team tonight? ;)

Best,

Geoff

Lol, Geoff.

The Cowboys were a better test than the Bears. The game wasn't broadcast here in DC, so I'll have to wait for NFL Network to replay it. The Charger D must have done well, since the Cowboys O was unable to enter Charger territory until the fumble play, in which Rivers made a TD-saving tackle. Ryan Matthews statisticially had another nice showing, but I want to see the video.

5 min. I after I posted the above, NFL Network put on the Chargers-Cowboys game. :laugh:

Ryan Matthews indeed looked very good against the Cowboys 1-string D. Part of it may be the continued development of young OL-men Vasquez, Clary, and Dombrowski, and fullback Hester. Still, Matthews was breaking tackles that would have taken down LT. Fullback Tolbert also got a lot of work at tailback most of the game, even against the 1st-stringers, esp. in short yardage. Perhaps Norv is thinking that giving Tolbert, who has been effective, more carries will reduce the wear and tear on the young Matthews, who did miss some games due to injury at Fresno State. The other RBs did not distinguish themselves - the Bolts could conceivably go with just Matthews, Sproles, and the two FBs for 2010.

Rivers elicited some gasps (than he did running a QB sneak) as he tackled a safety after the safety picked up a Sproles fumble and ran towards the end zone. That set up the first TD for the Cowboy's 1st-string O.

The run D once again excelled against starters and backups alike.

Mecca:

There are a lot of people that like Dixon in Pittsburgh. He competes, and he wants to play. I think he did a great job while he was in there, I watched the entire game. Maybe between the two of them the Steelers won't get smoked in all the games that Ben is suspended. Dixon can run as well as throw. But in the NFL, running QBs eventually get carted off the field on a stretcher. Not good.

Eli got nailed by his own team and got a big slash on his forehead for good measure.

Mike T.

I'm thinking that Baltimore and Atlanta may cause them problems, but if the Steelers are 2-2 going into the bye then all is well.

TROLL . . . ish.

by MeccaJay:

I'm thinking that Baltimore and Atlanta may cause them problems, but if the Steelers are 2-2 going into the bye then all is well.

I just read on MMQB on CNNSI that Baltimore is hoping their pass rush gets a chance at Leftwich because he's a stationary target. There's certainly no love lost between these two teams and Baltimore would get great pleasure from not only being the Steelers on the scoreboard, but beating them up physically. The Rivalry continues.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

The NFL Network guys were already proclaiming the Ravens as a Superbowl-bound team during the Skins-Ravens game. I could see it as a possibility. Flacco seems to keep getting better and now he has Boldin as an additional target to go with that running game. However, they might need to avoid the Colts in the playoffs. As great the Ravens D has been, it has trouble stopping Manning.

The Broncos are about to be the third straight BB student failure.

I count four. But maybe you don't include NCAA?

Oh right - forgot about the Jets...

Actually, you can count Mangini twice if you like.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Sorry for being a bit out of touch, but what is this particular discussion about?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

by Governor Silver:

As great the Ravens D has been, it has trouble stopping Manning.

Manning can be had, but he's tough. Accurate, plenty of zip on the ball. He doesn't just play football, he is obsessed with it. He pays attention to details that other people don't even think about.

However, there have been teams and players that have gotten inside his head and were able to pick him off. The NE Patriots and in particular Ty Law did a great job of intercepting Manning at the worst possible time for the Colts. Not to mention NE manhandled the Colts small/fast receivers. That was one of the reasons there was a rule change about keeping your hands off a receiver after they are 5 yards down field. The Patriots didn't just cover the Colts receivers, they mugged them. We use to watch those games in amazement and wonder if the NE Defender got the receiver's wallet too. :/

Studying game film of the Colts is mission critical. That's how the Saints defense ended up beating the Colts last year.

Mike T.

I'm going out on a limb to restate that Matt Leinart is not an NFL QB. He isn't a Russell bust but USC put him in a very lucrative position.

I would not be surprised if the Cards either starts Anderson or looks for another veteran QB.

Marc Bulger would have been perfect following Warner again. I doubt the Ravens will give him up. :cool:

PD

by Governor Silver:

As great the Ravens D has been, it has trouble stopping Manning.

Manning can be had, but he's tough. Accurate, plenty of zip on the ball. He doesn't just play football, he is obsessed with it. He pays attention to details that other people don't even think about.

However, there have been teams and players that have gotten inside his head and were able to pick him off.

Sure, even the Chargers, who have never had a safety as good as Ed Reed.

Why the Ravens who have had superior secondaries to the Chargers have been unable to at least slow down Manning is one of the NFL's mysteries. I initially said "stop" but the Chargers never kept him scoreless - just slowed him down enough to win by putting more points.

Joe, yeah, there's a few jumps in there. Griff--probably reflecting on Josh McDaniels' investment in Tebow and the loss of Marshall and the injury to Elvis--was saying that McDaniels was going to join Romeo Crennel and, I am guessing, Charlie Weiss as Belichik coaching progeny who failed as head coaches. Then he remembered Mangini and the Jets.

Sorry for being a bit out of touch, but what is this particular discussion about?
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I'm going out on a limb to restate that Matt Leinart is not an NFL QB. He isn't a Russell bust but USC put him in a very lucrative position.

I would not be surprised if the Cards either starts Anderson or looks for another veteran QB.

Marc Bulger would have been perfect following Warner again. I doubt the Ravens will give him up. :cool:

Of course common logic says I should agree with you, but I do see something deep down in him. Deep down in the dna, I still think he's a winner. Weve been waiting and waiting on Reggie Bush to show us the same, finally in last years playoffs, it came thru.

Yeah, it's going to take a lot to bring that out in Matt at this point, cause he's got zero confidence left, but there's something there. Last night, I feel like he shouldn't have been pulled that early. He truly needed another quarter or so to put together a couple good drives, then put in Anderson. It's amazing to say at this point, but Derek Anderson is more accustomed to the starting role than Matt..Go figure?

Matt needs to settle down and fling that ball around a lot more, even thru some failure, to get to the possible Leinart within that's money. Now he's got 2 quarters left next week that dictate his entire season, I hope he makes the best of it.

TROLL . . . ish.

As you know, the NFL stands for "Not For Long". Teams want to win now. If it ain't happening in a quarter, it ain't happening. Is it fair? Probably not. The Preseason is the best time to throw your QB to the wolves because the games don't count.

I can see that they wanted to play another QB to get someone else in there so they can evaluate where they are at on the depth chart.

I didn't thing Big Ben played all that great when they put him in, but he did manage to get the team down the field, and of course they couldn't put the ball in the end zone. Even starters struggle, its not the JV team on the field your facing each week.

Cheers,

Mike T.

As you know, the NFL stands for "Not For Long". Teams want to win now. If it ain't happening in a quarter, it ain't happening. Is it fair? Probably not.

Yep, I know.. It's the cycle of life in the NFL. I just get so like an old high school councilor at times.. "I see such promise in this kid..yada yada"

TROLL . . . ish.

Archived