Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Apple iMac

Chad Thorne

OK, since my most recent problems with spyware getting into my PC, the answer I keep getting as to how to prevent it is "Get a Mac." So we're looking at them. I know many of you are computer gee- er, aficionados, so I turn to you for help. We can only afford used so I've been surfing Ebay like crazy. I've been looking at things like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-iMac-G5-PowerPC-1-8GHz-20-256MB-RAM-Desktop_W0QQitemZ370330184432QQcmdZViewItemQQptZApple_Desktops?hash=item5639662af0

The first question I have is, what do I need to be concerned about with a used unit, besides the obvious? Specifically, how do parts hold up? What kind of support does Apple offer for its older products?

Also, like many of you, I do music stuff on my computer. How much RAM would be adequate? Hard disk capacity? Processing speed?

I really appreciate any help/guidance. A week after paying 130 bucks to get a Trojan off my PC I've got another one. I've kinda had it. Thanks!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, what kind and level of anti-virus protection are you using on your PC?

I have never had a problem with spyware or virus and refuse to own an Apple product. Most people don't understand that you get what you pay for with a good firewall/virus scanner and I keep mine set to ultra-paranoid.

Anytime I have an application or a website that requires me to disarm my proection is immediately suspect (unless it's a reliable company and can do the install off-line).

As far as hardware is concern, you'll be needing to do a little research. Most music apps will tell you what the system requirements are.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

You don't need to get a Mac, just run Linux instead of Windoze, and the nice thing is, it's all free.

G.

i've experimented with linux. i, too, wanted to get rid of windows. i found that it required far more hand holding than i would like. i want to use my computer, not make my computer a hobby.

i have used apple before, and i find them exceptionally intuitive. maybe it's just me, but i love how everything works together and how by controlling the hardware, apple can make things work in ways that open hardware on windows cannot.

but i have no relevant experience to say how they hold up over time. some people have old mac desktops that are twenty years old and still working. my sister-in-law rode her macbook pro hard and put it away wet. it was always having problems.

viruses do exist for mac, but they're rare. why bother taking down less than 10% of the computer-using population?

robb.

My two cents, specially on the "how Macs hold up over time" subject. I totally switched from PCs to Macs on 2005, and had to go used all the way. My main studio's machine is a Mac, which is now 10 years old (a G4 Gigabit Ethernet tower), with CPU upgraded to 1,.8Ghz G4 (originally it had a 400Mhz G4), 2Gb RAM, all bought used and refurbished /re-powered by myself, with an (also bought used) Digidesign Digi001 audio interface.. On the second studio I'm building on the countryside, I already have an (also bought used) 8 years old G4 Quicksilver tower, 800Mhz, 1.5Gb ram, with another, identical Digidesign Digi001 audio interface. Both are running Mac OS X 10.3.9 "Panther" and ProTools LE 6.4. More than enough for me, both have had a long, prosper story, and have still a lot of life left.

The main studio machine was formatted and installed in 2005, and had never been re-formatted or re-installed anything ever since, except for the addition of a couple RAM sticks to make it go up to 2Gb RAM. The Quicksilver was used as an alternate house machine until the arrival of a Mac Mini about two years ago, and was relegated to the "alternate" role, until now, when it is being brought to the second studio. (Both mac towers are at the studios now, since the Digidesign Digi001 connects to the computer via a PCI card, which I cannot install on any of my other, smaller format macs).

In my case, these machines have proven very reliable, easy to work on, set-and-forget.

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

McAfee pro will prevent rootkits, McAfee free should detect them.

I nearly went down the route of getting a Mac. Unfortunately/fortunately it was cheaper for me to buy a case, hard drive and populated motherboard (£200) to upgrade my PC.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

I strongly recommend a Mac. Not that Windows is not nice: I had a windows system in the living room running XP and operated by three kids that lasted years without a glitch. The secret is that all the users did not have administrative rights, something that I recommend also on MacOS and is automatically enforced by most Unix systems.

I must also say that the new system that I have got, a Dell Inspiron Zino with Windows 7 is a great experience under every respect, but I have bought it instead of a Mac Mini mostly because wife and kids are used to Windows.

MacOS is the most polished Unix in town, can run Office, if you miss Word, or OpenOffice as anyone else and has an excellent music application (Garage Band) and a decent port of Band-in-a-box.

All in all, it feels like trading your Hyundai for a BMW.

The best switcher's guide that I have found is this

http://the.taoofmac.com/space/HOWTO/Switch

+

http://the.taoofmac.com/space/HOWTO/Switch/Apps

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)

I've used lots of different computers, starting back with a Commodore 64.

At one point in my life I was a Mac nut.

Now I use PC's.

With the current state of operating systems and programs, there is very little difference from the user's end.

Get the computer that will run the programs you want to use.

All computers will crash eventually.

Unix is for nerds.

Was reading an article where a person sent their Mac in to be serviced. Apple refused to service the computer, despite the fact it had a valid warranty, because the computer was used in and environment or by a person who smoked. The whole "nicotine is a substance considered toxic by the blargy-farg" argument was used.

Ok, Apple and its ownership have a history of some odd socio-economic belief systems, but:

1) - If it's under warranty and you provide the service, then damnit, provide the service. Don't get all hinky and holier than thou on me.

2) - If you WILL refuse to render warranty service due to the fact that you are a smoker, have a gun in the house, you aren't in a "traditional relationship", or won't warranty a radio because you listen to Rush Limbaugh on it, then just come out and say it. We're so wrapped in this PC (that's politically correct) crap and the whole time the Chinese are dumping lead-based painted trinkets on us.

http://theappleblog.com/2009/11/23/reason-to-quit-apple-warranties-void-for-smokers/

At one point in my life I was a Mac nut.

Now I use PC's.

With the current state of operating systems and programs, there is very little difference from the user's end.

I am currently a Mac nut, but must admit that Windows 7 comes pretty close in usability and general finish, especially for someone that does a lot of things at once and always has a lot of windows open.

To state it in a different way, it is the first time I do not feel like flying economy on Windows.

Still I miss one time saver on Windows: pressing space on any document opens a fast preview, no matter what application has created the document, since all the common formats are supported.

Then there is GarageBand: it is a hell of a lot of musical power packed in every single Mac. Of course you can always buy a better program, but this comes with the package.

And remember to make all your user accounts non privileged, it's pretty effective.

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)

Open up a brand new pc laptop and a macbook pro.

This is what you find. The PC has a ton of built in software that you don't want. With pop ups and subscribe here and you need this virus protector there etc etc. The there's the error messages that mean nothing except to a geek. There's also window options with yes or no, where the outcome is the same regardless of which button you press. Then there is WORD. OMG is this the worst bit of software ever created by man?

Sorry, the MBPro works out of the box. No pop ups, nothing. Just a bunch of built in software you can use straight away. Loading up photos to Facebook on PC is a multistage labyrinth. On Mac you just click a button.

Sorry, there is no comparison. There really isn't.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

I respectfully dispute your assersions based on the following:

1) - I just bought a PC (windows 7) laptop about two months ago. Not popups, no AOL, just two icons, one for office trial and one for online music trial that were easily deleted.

2) - I had no error messages.

3) - The assertion about the window with the Yes/No option with no change in outcome is gratuitous.

4) - Mine worked right out of the box.

5) - I have no evidence that HP WON'T honor my warranty if I need a repair (and the nicotine hazmat argument is weak, since every electronics repair geek I've ever met has isopropanol and 500 Q-tips at his repair station and isopropanol is in the same OSHA hazmat list - I guess we get to pick and choose our hazmat - if it were giant panda feces, maybe another matter altogether).

6) - Ooooo, one touch Facebook photo uploads. THAT'S what I've been missing all my life.

7) - I've been using Word for about 10 years and have no complaints. Learn the software! And I was a die-hard WordPerfect user for about ten years prior to that.

You're right. No comparison.

I find the abject and vociferous snobbery of Linux and Apple users, and their requisite MicroSoft hating, quite amusing. Kinda like the guy down the street that owns a Prius. What a wonderful thing I do to save the planet, just don't look in my garage at the two snow mobiles, the two motocross bikes, the ATV and the monstoursly overpowered F350 crew cab extended box with the tow package. Not to mention that most of that car is not recyclable nor can be chucked in a landfill because, well, the battery components are poisonus.

Bah, I say.

Sorry, the MBPro works out of the box... On Mac you just click a button....

Sorry, there is no comparison. There really isn't.

On what I call today "Studio 1", I was running PCs for years. Even at one time I had one of those big Intel Columbus cases, with a huge motherboard, Twin real processors, heavily cooled, SCSI Ultra-LVD Raid 1 hard disks, all the hype. I had two video cards for I ran three screens on the studio (One Matrox AGP dual head card, and a Matrox PCI single output card). It took me about 3 days of tests to find the right combination of drivers, to set up properly which one was the main screen, which one was the one besides it, how to configure it properly so when I move the mouse it went to the proper screen, and which one was the third screen at the top of the setup, which doubled as the Video (for TY video edition) monitor. 3 long and painful days. Once I had it all installed and configured, and running smoothly (OFF the network, of course), I had to clone the system hard disk (this practice I've kept over the years, tho, just in case) with everything configured and working as a swiss clock, just in case any virus or whatever it might happen could mis-configure the system, I could clone back the system disk, and be up and running again in a matter of minutes).

When I switched to Mac (My tests-in-parallel system back then was a Blue and White G3 tower running OS X 10.3.9), this was one of my concerns. I was worried it would be the same hassle. I installed an ATI dual head card and the other, "normal" video card that came with the machine as a secondary card. I connected the monitors and started the mac. All I had to set up was the screen placement configuration (which was real easy to do), and choose each screen's resolution and background. Total time: about a couple minutes. No drivers-fighting needed, at all. That's what I call "It works right out the box", as Davo said. And I guess that's the most complicated task I've done on those macs (Even replacing the original G4/400 CPU with the 1.8Ghz G4 upgrade was a snappy, unplug-replace-plug in operation).

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

Let's try not to generalize. There are lots of Priuses in my neighborhood. Nobody has any of that other stuff.

I don't really care what kind of computer, operating system, or software anyone else uses. I get a little bugged when someone sends me a file which I can't open (although I usually figure out a way to convert it.)

As far as I can tell, very few people know much more about their computers other than a few parts of the software they use.

This discussion is way off-topic, but it does say it is in the title, so I don't even know why I'm posting.

My next message will be in hexadecimal.

My only point from above, was that Chad didn't need to fork out a lot of money to avoid viruses on a Unix-based system (AppleOS). He could download one for free & install it (even on an alternative partition with Dual Boot) on the hardware he's got.

It'll do the job of websurfing. Same Firefox. Connects easily.

No hate for Microsoft here. I'm running Windows 7 & liking it. I also run Ubuntu 9.10 with Gnome interface & like that too.

However, I have firewalls, AntiVirus & Spyware protection running on Windows which works pretty well & I've had no probs.

I have none of the above running on Ubuntu & have had no probs......

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

I couldn't care less what some one runs, what some uses, or, for that matter, what kind of car they drive (J, Berley is a little different from where I live, no offense, but I have 'em here).

I just get honked off that everytime someone has a legitimate computer issue and posts it on the forum, a certain segment of the audience immediately starts with the "Buy a Mac, Use Linux, Windows Sux" mantra as the software/hardware fix.

Well! I certainly started something, didn't I?

Thank you all for sharing your experiences, thoughts, and in some cases passionately-held opinions. I have a lot to think about!

Bottom line for me: Is it true, as I have been told, that Macs a great deal less susceptible to viruses,etc., than PCs?

Truth spoken from robb. a few posts back, "viruses do exist for mac, but they're rare. why bother taking down less than 10% of the computer-using population?"

FWIW, Since purchasing my Motorola DROID, I have not used a computer (3 months). Can't wait until flash arrives...

You guys are silly. I've experienced just as many problems with Mac products as with PCs and most of my friends who have owned both agree.

The more sophisticated technology gets, the more problems it creates. We find ways of dealing with it.

Archived