Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What to do with a Wurlitzer 4300?

StanC

This is an old console organ from my parent's home that has been collecting dust in the basement for years. It has some electronic problems and I cannot find any one able/willing to fix it. Can't sell it and don't have the heart to just trash it. What to do?

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember working on some of those a good while ago. Maybe list it on Craigslist for free to someone who will pick it up? Otherwise, if you can still trash it without having to pay recycling fees to do so, that may not always be the case.

I don't remember offhand if that model had a "Rotosonic" Leslie, it was probably old enough to have Wurlitzer's own rotating speaker that had two 5" speakers on one end and a weight on the other.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I don't remember offhand if that model had a "Rotosonic" Leslie, it was probably old enough to have Wurlitzer's own rotating speaker that had two 5" speakers on one end and a weight on the other.

Yes it did have what you describe as Rotosonic. But it was called Spectra-Tone. The organ was purchased new circa 1965 - maybe the Rotosonic name was a later or earlier generation.

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Spectra-Tone was Wurlitzer's attempt at a rotary speaker. It was basically two 4" speakers mounted on either end of a can on the end of a metal rod which swung around on a shaft. It worked well enough. The 4300 is going to be a solid-state generator organ, they can sound nice for some music but not many people want them. The real interesting WurliTzer console is the 4600 series with the amplified reeds. They sound very pipelike, and through a Leslie you'd swear you were hearing a WurliTzer theatre organ...absolutely lovely sound. The 4602 is quite desirable having a 32-note pedalboard.

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

Bring it out back tonight, throw some lighter fluid on it, and use a KC 150 for a starter.............. :idea:

I had one of those spinet organs because my dad loved the "Shh-Boom" drum effects........silly thing wouldn't work for more than 3 months without a service call......

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

I had one of those spinet organs because my dad loved the "Shh-Boom" drum effects........silly thing wouldn't work for more than 3 months without a service call......

Jake

LOL!! Haven't played this thing for so long that I forgot about the Shh-Boom effect. Classic!

Stan

Bring it out back tonight, throw some lighter fluid on it, and use a KC 150 for a starter.............. :idea:

Jake

Y'know? That was just mean. :evil:

I like it. :thu:

I live in a donut hole (the county) - not within the city limits - although I should be.

So... I CAN BURN!

I've got a Christmas tree in position, ready for ignition. Once lit, these things burn very fast.

For the occassion, I don my NASCAR racing cap and a six pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Itza cheap thrill... I like it. And I recommend it to help beat the winter blues. :laugh:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Jake

Y'know? That was just mean. :evil:

I like it. :thu:

I live in a donut hole (the county) - not within the city limits - although I should be.

So... I CAN BURN!

I've got a Christmas tree in position, ready for ignition. Once lit, these things burn very fast.

For the occassion, I don my NASCAR racing cap and a six pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Itza cheap thrill... I like it. And I recommend it to help beat the winter blues. :laugh:

Hey Tom, you're gassing for a new board, why don't you make him an offer?

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Archived