Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dead key on my nearly new NE3...

NoahZark

Well, not dead technically, but it's definitely triggering at a MUCH lower volume than everything else. I've got a note in to Nord's US distributor (American Music & Sound), which, interestingly, doesn't seem to publish warranty information on its website, but I'm curious whether anyone else has had such a problem? Any other advice besides working it through with the distributor? (The Nord website refers me to the distributor's website for warranty information.)

This thing is just a few months old, and it's pretty darn frustrating to be having this kind of problem with it so soon. :mad: My Yamaha S90ES is more than 4 years old, and I've absolutely beat the s**t out of that thing with nary a single problem (knock on wood).

By the way, not that it likely matters, but the problem key is the Ab below middle C.

Noah

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a "silent movie" style video out there on disassembly of the NE2, I would expect the NE3 to be similar.

I have been unable to google it - can't believe somebody isn't hosting it. It used to be on the old nordusa site.

Maybe Jason will chime in here.

Moe

---

This thread: https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2110405/One_Key_at_Full_Velocity_Help#Post2110405 has a detailed explanation of cleaning keyswitches on a Kurzweil. I believe (from others' comments) that the Nord uses a very similar system.

However (as a former instrument tech), I must say that Nord presumably has a warranty, probably for a year or more. Opening the keyboard and fixing it, if it is detected, would be grounds for their voiding the warranty if something more gives a problem. I'd pursue going through their service chain as a first option, unless you absolutely have to get it going immediately. I don't find the procedure difficult on my Kurzweils (or other instruments that I have serviced)but it does take a bit of care. Also - the usual symptom of dirt getting into the switches is either NO volume or FULL volume, not just a little volume.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Noah, where did you buy it? Won't they take care of this for you?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Also - the usual symptom of dirt getting into the switches is either NO volume or FULL volume, not just a little volume.

I had the same problem with my first PC3x. While several assured me it was a matter of cleaing the contacts it turned out that the problem was the 2 plastic tabs on the under side of the plastic key that make contact with the bubble strip. In this case the mold injection had a bit of "extra" on one of the tabs, Its the difference in time between these 2 tabs pressing into the bubble contacts that determines the volume. So if the tabs are not the exact required length you will have less or more volume.

Not guaranteeing that the Nord has a similar keybed but certainly something to look into.

I know it's a hassle to have to ship it back, but then you don't violate the warranty and all that. Besides, they are supposed to be covering stuff for two years now, right?

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Thanks, Joe.

Message sent to Sweetwater sales engineer.

I'll let you know what he says.

I still have the original packaging, and I really have no interest in doing anything to void a warranty. Thus, if I need to ship it back, I will. I can live without the board for a few weeks if needed.

Noah

I still have the original packaging, and I really have no interest in doing anything to void a warranty.

Mine still even has the "new features" sticker on it :)

I curious to hear the outcome too nz

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

Based on my personal experiences, I have very little doubt that Sweetwater will take care of matters properly.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

• 2 months later...

Well, it took me a while to finally deal with my NE3 problem (and to get a definitive answer from Sweetwater), but I'm happy to report that Sweetwater has agreed to simply replace the keyboard. The replacement is being shipped today by FedEx Ground with an airbill for me to ship back to them my current board with the defective key. I don't think I'm breaking any Forum rules by reporting another positive experience with Sweetwater service, so I wanted everyone to know about the happy ending to my tale (assuming the new unit arrives problem-free).

:)

Noah

Nice! Enjoy that new NE3. In fact, I want to see some posts about how you're using it. :)

Um, yeah, that's exactly what I meant ;)

Congrats on the NE3 replacement. Hopefully I'll get to hear it and the rest of your rig through those QSCs one day. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Sweetwater may cost ya a few extra bucks on the front end, but they always come through when there's a problem. Been my experience anyway!
SR guy thats finally decided to put his collection of toys to personal use (extremely G.A.S.'y) LOL

I put it on a stand, plug it in, connect some cables to an amp, turn it on, and press the black and white keys in a way that I hope doesn't cause my dogs to yelp.

What was it with Lyndon Johnson picking his dog up by her ears?

...never understood that.

http://www.presidentialpetmuseum.com/photos/Pets/Him-Ears-Lifted.jpg

Victor Borge, the Copenhagen-born pianist . . said he went to the White House once; Johnson picked him up by the ears and said: You, sir, are truly a great Dane.

Oh Bruttah :rolleyes:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived