Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pro Tools/logic Question

stixcom92

So I recently picked up a used studio rig including a digi002 and a Kurzweil PC88mx. I also already had logic 9. I had to put together some backing tracks for someone, and with my soon-to-be-updated macbook not being able to play more than a few software instruments at once, I wanted to try to program the PC88 in multitimberal mode to play the track for me. I was able to get it to play in general midi mode, but I wanted to program it with the factory sounds, but every time I was finally able to program the channels in PT, and the sounds on the PC88, whenever I pressed play, all the patches would just revert on the keyboard, erasing everything I just did. I am sure that pro tools has a way around it, and I'm still a n00b with the program. Even when I can get the software instruments, there are just some sounds on the PC88 (mainly the piano sound and some drum sounds) that I still want to find a way to incorporate into tracks. I also had an old s80 given to me that I had a similar problem with, but I was able to stop the patch changing, but is still tedious to change all the channels manually.

I guess my main question is, on pro tools or logic, how do I

A. Pick the patches? (I have the .midnam files, if those do anything)

B. Stop it from changing the patches back

C. Really use the pc88 to it's controller advantage in Pro Tools/Logic?

Thanks.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most all DAWs have a preferences section, which handles many aspects of how the program behaves. Most often you have to manually change and save your own preferences, otherwise it will open with the default preferences every time. Perhaps your problem lies there?

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Protools uses the Audio MIDI Setup Utility found in the Applications\Utilities folder.

Load Audio MIDI Setup and go into the MIDI Devices section. Click on Add Device. Tell it the Manufacturer is Kurzweil and the Model is PC88. Connect the In and outs to whatever MIDI I/O device the PC88 is physically connect to.

In PT on the MIDI track make sure the output has the PC88 selected. At this point the patches will be available.

Busch.

You mentioned using the PC88 as a controller and it should be just fine. I don't know which version of PT you're using but with PT 8 there are several new virtual instruments. All of them allow you to easily assign physical controllers to controls by right-clicking on the control and selecting learn.

Also, if you want to use aftertouch from the PC88 within PT, go to SETUP > MIDI > INPUT FILTER and make sure MONO AFTERTOUCH is not selected. The default for PT is to filter aftertouch.

Busch.

Archived