Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil vintage electric piano ROM

Daddyg3042

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get it. :thu:

They did a great job on this. Very nice Rhodes, Wurlitzer, Clavinets especially. Patterned after famous instruments in hit songs, this collection is a lot of fun.

As always, Kurzweil has extremely high-quality sounds. I've never regretted adding this ROM to my PC2X.

Get it. :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I have the similar Classic Keys ROM in my PC2 - similar to the K series Vintage EP ROM, but with some added sounds like mellotrons. It was a worthwhile addition. Numerous additional Rhodes and Wurly patches, Yamaha - the 1970's portable piano that had lightweight strings and electric pickup, clavs, RMI, all the sounds are good; and having them instantly available without having to load samples from CD or HD is helpful.

I don't use it as much as I do the Orchestral ROM, but it does give me some keys that work well with the groups I am in.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Thanks guys. I've got a k2661. Owned a 2000, K2VX, & a 2600SX before this, so pretty familiar with the K line. I've got a few decent Rhodes & Clav patches, some of which are Dave Weiser's vintage collection. Most of these load at boot, which takes almost 5 min. between the piano, rhodes and other samples I load pretty much every time. The Rhodes I'm using works, but after listening to audio clips of the new Rhodes, SV-1 and some other ones, I think it could be better. Still don't have a good Wurly patch either, so I'm thinking ROM 4 might fit the bill for awhile.

I've never cared much for the synth action on this board, but love having the portability vs. the 2600XS I used to have. That 76 key PC3K might be the ticket if it's got semi-weighted action at least.

Appreciate the feedback.

"May you stay...forever young."

The Classic Keys ROM is an essential component of the K2661 and compares favorably to other expensive rhodes samples such as the Roland SRX-12. The integration of the KDFX and the general sound design is quite impressive.

As has already been mentioned this is all included in the PC3 and the forthcoming PC3K.

Get it. :thu:

They did a great job on this. Very nice Rhodes, Wurlitzer, Clavinets especially. Patterned after famous instruments in hit songs, this collection is a lot of fun.

As always, Kurzweil has extremely high-quality sounds. I've never regretted adding this ROM to my PC2X.

Get it. :cool:

+1

Like MoodyBluesKeys, I had the Classic Keys ROM for my K2600X. I forget the name of the program ("Model This" ?), but the first Rhodes patch was my personal favorite. The factory preset Rhodes do not compare to the Rhodes in this ROM.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

ditto above - it's a must if you have the PC2 or K2600X - some great sounds - the orchestral rom is pretty cool too - if you have a 2600 series get the piano rom as well - big step up from the internal piano - the only rom that I don't care for is the contemporary rom - though you can get it cheap enough on the web

Personally I found the ROM 3 "Triple Strike" piano to be a great disappointment, I heard very little difference from the stereo piano sample which is already a part of the K2600 stock ROM. I think this just adds a softer layer to that sample set, just what it doesn't need.

It's worth having both the Orch and Contemporary ROM for the K25/26s just to be able to use all the programs that have been created for these waveforms, particularly the "Best of VAST" factory programs for the last K2600 OS.

Personally I found the ROM 3 "Triple Strike" piano to be a great disappointment, I heard very little difference from the stereo piano sample which is already a part of the K2600 stock ROM.

Oh the irony of "Triple Strike."

:deadhorse: and :snax:

Archived