Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Al Kooper

HammondDave

Does anyone have any news about Al? Last night at NAMM Al was taken to the hospital before his concert.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even a Google News search doesn't turn up anything that recent on him.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Al has been a big influence - in so many ways - over the years. I was going to try and catch his show Saturday night, but wound down and called it a day around 11PM. I'm hoping that the hospitalization, and missed show are just temporary setbacks, and that we'll be hearing more of his inimitable sound soon.

Fingers will indeed be crossed. I'll spread the word to fellow friends/players here in NO CO. He'll be in our thoughts...

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I've found no one who knows anything about this. I wrote to a friend (a fellow professor) at Berklee and he hadn't even heard about it. There still is nothing on the news sites. Not to cast doubts, but is this just a rumor or did someone actually witness him being taken away?

I've found no one who knows anything about this. I wrote to a friend (a fellow professor) at Berklee and he hadn't even heard about it. There still is nothing on the news sites. Not to cast doubts, but is this just a rumor or did someone actually witness him being taken away?

I'm wondering the same thing, Steve. I did see a note on Twitter that his Tuesday night show in Seattle (at the Triple Door) had been cancelled, but otherwise haven't seen anything about this online.

Edited to add this citation from LineOut.TheStranger.com:

Legendary blues/rock keyboardist Al Kooper canceled his Jan. 19 date at Triple Door, reportedly due to problems with his pancreas. Kooper was also slated to DJ Wed. Jan. 20 at the Musicquarium's Back to Ours event with Self-Administered Beatdown, Jermaine Blair, and, er, your humble correspondent, but he will not be performing that night, either.

I did find this from a local paper.

Al Kooper Cancels Triple Door Dates

Posted by Dave Segal on Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Legendary blues/rock keyboardist Al Kooper canceled his Jan. 19 date at Triple Door, reportedly due to problems with his pancreas. Kooper was also slated to DJ Wed. Jan. 20 at the Musicquarium's Back to Ours event with Self-Administered Beatdown, Jermaine Blair, and, er, your humble correspondent, but he will not be performing that night, either.

It's certainly real - I went over to the Marriott to help tech for the SV-1 Al was going to be playing and spoke to Jimmy Vivino who told me the news...

But he said as they took Al out he was giving the paramedics a hard time/being grumpy so he knew all was right (since that's the usual Al we know and love)!

:-)

I hope he is OK, I have not been able to reach anyone else to get an update. I'll let you know when I hear something real.

Jerry

Yeah this did in fact happen as Jimmy announced it from the stage. And he did mention how grumpy Al was. Our prayers are with him.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Al is back home in MA and resting - he's not in a hospital. That's all - I'm respecting his right to privacy.

Regards,

Jerry

Completely understandable, Jerry... and thank you for the update. Fingers will remain crossed that Al will be back out doing what he does soon. :thu:

Thanks for the info Jerry. If you or anyone else can pass on our good wishes to him, that would be great. If not, we'll just send him good vibes. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

And he did mention how grumpy Al was. Our prayers are with him.

Y'know?...

Sometimes... in the morning... I wake up grumpy.

But most of the time I just let her sleep. :rimshot::laugh:

Sorry. :rolleyes: I've been dying to get that out.

Yeah. Al Kooper doesn't know we exist on this forum - and probably doesn't give a rat's arse. But please tell him that we've been asking about him and are sending positive thoughts his way.

Thanks,

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived