Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keys on the Cheap... Nord or xk-2?

JimboK

Hello everyone,

Here is my dilemma: I have a Motif6 with a plg-150AN card in it. I like it. Good enough piano, EP and synth stuff for my needs. Oh yeah, wurli too. I hate it's organ however.

I also have a Hammond XK-2. Not the best ever but MUCH better then the yamaha. So I figured to complete my "organ" setup I was gonna buy a Ventilator since I don't like the xk-2 leslie sim. I have access to a cheap leslie (solid state 302 I think) and it works but weighs a ton (duh) and takes a microphone to record (which can cause issues). So, Vent + XK-2 looks like a good quality move.

But then I started thinking about it and I realized that I could sell the xk-2 for $300-500 and with the $500 I was gonna spend on the vent, would allow me to get real close to a used Electro 2. Things that make you go hmm....

So, old hammond+vent get's me solid organ OR Electro 2 which might allow me to move to a weighted piano setup sooner then later (it will handle the ep's and wurli's)

Chime in folks. Tip the old man in one direction or the other.

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get an XK-3c and use the Motif as a lower manual for a full organ(minus pedals) as well as for the non-Hammond sounds. Or hold on to the XK-2 and use it as a lower manual. Find a small module that you can control with the XK-3c/XK-2 "System" for the other sounds.

Good Luck.

Get an XK-3c and use the Motif as a lower manual for a full organ(minus pedals) as well as for the non-Hammond sounds. Or hold on to the XK-2 and use it as a lower manual. Find a small module that you can control with the XK-3c/XK-2 "System" for the other sounds.

Good Luck.

If one gets an XK-3c, can one easily use a Motif (XS-8) as the lower manual? Can one also easily use the XK-3c as a keyboard (controller) with a rack mounted Receptor, etc.? Is the X"K-3c "fully" MIDI compatible???

you want to go with the electro2. get a 61. I use one and leave my xk3system at home. they're light and sound good. I am tending toward a light, cheap piano board I can midi up to the electro - like a casio px330- so I have a decent piano sound and can play rhodes from the bottom board and b3 from the top - >50lbs total.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

you want to go with the electro2. get a 61.

+1. if those are your basic needs (B3, wurly, clav, piano), you can get a simple weighted stage piano to go below the nord. i use a yamaha cp33 w/ the E2 61 which works real well for my purposes (i like the heavier action). i really wouldn't mind upgrading to a cp5/cp50 so check those out, depending on your budget. but i definitely suggest the nord move.

the one thing that hasn't been addressed is the ventilator. i'm quite happy with the nord sim for the slow speed, but it the fast speed is kinda weak. also, the nord overdrive effect is good but not great (i have a K4 so i just use that to get some grit). but in all likelihood this organ set-up won't sound quite as good as xk --> ventilator, assuming the ventilator lives up to the hype because i haven't heard it in personnnn......

so do you sacrifice a bit of the organ sound to get better ep/clav and a weighted piano (and portability!). i say yes. ...or just splurge and get the nord AND the ventilator.

I'm using an electro2/61 and a cp33 tonight. I think that's how I'll keep it for a while.

I'll midi the cp33 to the nord and play piano and rhodes from the yamaha and organ up top. I have decided to forego the casio and just wear out the yamaha. $700 to save 15 lbs. is nuts.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

I'm using an electro2/61 and a cp33 tonight. I think that's how I'll keep it for a while.

I'll midi the cp33 to the nord and play piano and rhodes from the yamaha and organ up top.

I find myself using this identical rig more and more and it has be come my bread and butter setup (same midi arrangement too). It's been a while since my XK-3 and Motif ES left the house, unless I'm playing fusion and then the big rig comes out.

For form, function, sound and portability . . . its tough to beat.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

I'll midi the cp33 to the nord

how does this work? perhaps the wrong place for a primer on MIDI in a live setting but since this is my exact key setup as well, figured i'd ask. can you play nord programs through the 33? if so can they be different from the ones being played on the nord? would love to be able to have nord rhodes on the 33 while playing nord B3 on top...or do i need another nord for this? thanks for filling me in, real basic i know...

would love to be able to have nord rhodes on the 33 while playing nord B3 on top...

Unfortunately, this is not possible, as the Electro can only play one sound at a time.

I often use my CP33 as a lower manual for organ playing. You can split the Electro so that a keyboard controlling it via MIDI-Channel 2 plays a different organ registration than when you play on the keys of the Electro.

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

Archived