Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Winter NAMM 2010 Reports

Joe Muscara

(I hope no one minds me starting this thread, but since I wanted to post about the first item, I figured what the hey. Triple Secret Bannination here I come!)

As most of you know, this year's Winter NAMM Show will begin this Thursday and run through Sunday. As always, anticipation of cool product announcements is running high.

There will probably be reports from MP and HC, but I'll let someone else add those links below.

Please post your Winter NAMM 2010 reports here, for forum members who are not fortunate enough to go to the show.

Feel free to discuss NAMM announced gear, events, and performances in this thread.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Synthogy Announces Ivory II

Since I already own all the current versions of Ivory, I'm mixed about this. For one, I don't use it enough to justify paying a lot for an upgrade. OTOH, there are a lot of piano "features" that Ivory I didn't include, such as Sympathetic String Resonance, Half Pedaling, Lid Position, and Pedal Noise, that other virtual pianos have been including so Ivory was starting to get behind.

One thing I didn't see mentioned was (I'm forgetting what it's called) where extremely low velocity playing plays no sound. I found that having that on my RD-700GX has improved my technique quite a bit. Before, if I sloppily but intentionally hit a key, I'd still hear it. With the RD, it forces me to play the key more properly. On days where I use Ivory instead of the internal RD pianos, I don't have that feature forcing me to be more precise.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

(I hope no one minds me starting this thread, but since I wanted to post about the first item, I figured what the hey. Triple Secret Bannination here I come!)

I've traditionally been the guy to start these threads, but there's no reason why it has to be me.

Besides, it appears you've left my usual opening pretty much intact, so I couldn't have done better myself! ;)

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Apple didn't exactly wait until NAMM to make their announcement, but the proximity of this release to NAMM makes it worth mentioning in this thread:

Logic 9.1 released

While a usual dot one release might not be worthy of mention, Logic 9.1 has a 64-bit mode and compatibility with 64-bit Audio Unit plug-ins making it a pretty big step forward.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Besides, it appears you've left my usual opening pretty much intact,
Yeah, even down to originally leaving it as "Please post your Winter NAMM 2009 reports here," :rolleyes:

Well, I, for one, protest! This is absolutely, totally, 100% unacceptable!

Every year, I look forward to Geoff's thread kicking off NAMM reports, and this year I have to suffer through someone who is Double Secret Banninated stealing Geoff's thunder and ruining my tradition?

I implore dB to delete this thread IMMEDIATELY so that Geoff can properly start his annual thread!

If that doesn't happen, I hereby request Triple Double-Secret Semi-Permanent Bannination (with sugar on top) for Joe!

;)

Noah

A pre-report: if you have an iPhone, do a search in iTunes for "NAMM." There is a pretty cool interactive NAMM Show App which connects you with announcements and alerts, has an interactive and searchable map, schedules of events/speakers/entertainment/etc., searchable list of exhibitors (which also interacts with the map!) etc.; One caveat- it does cost $1.99, but I have already plotted most of the booths I don't want to miss while I was in the hotel shuttle!

NAMM - There's an app for that And it's FREE

Anyone with a blackberry or Iphone should get this app if they are at NAMM.

NAMM Mobile APP

Looks like there are some new toys on The Roland (JAPAN) site

ROLAND 2010 NAMM Site

RD-700GX SuperNATURAL Piano Kit

MY Toys - Kurzweil PC1X, Roland A-90, Yamaha KX88, Yamaha CS1x, Novation 49SL MkII, Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2, JBL PRX615M

My Music Page

Yes, it looks like that Korg SP-170 is their competitor to the Casio PX-130. But I see some shortcomings there:

1) The Korg has a MIDI Out (which the PX-130 doesn't have). But the Korg doesn't appear to have a USB out. So to use the Korg with a computer, you need an additional MIDI interface. Also the Korg doesn't have a MIDI in, so it appears that its settings can't be saved to external media. (I hope that settings are at least internally saved. Hopefully, it isn't like the M-audio 88ES, where settings are lost when you power it off). Casio settings can be saved via its USB port.

2) The Casio has some buttons to change patches, volume knob, and a few other controls. The Korg doesn't look like it even has a volume slider/knob. Apparently, everything is done by pressing combos on the keyboard itself (like the Casio does with its function key).

3) Casio is still a couple pounds lighter.

4) There's no pic of the Korg jacks, nor does it specify whether the output jacks are mini (like the Casio) or 1/4 inch. I suspect they're mini.

5) The Casio can use its optional SP-32 (soft, sustenuto, and sustain) pedal unit. The Korg appears to support only a sustain pedal.

Tascam LM-8ST

http://www.sweetwater.com/images/publications/reports/tascam_lm8st.jpg

8 stereo channel / 4-buss line mixer

(8) stereo 1/4" TRS balanced inputs with -10/+4dB switch

1U rack mountable

Mic input with trim control on front panel

2-segment LED meter per channel

ST1 and ST2/AUX level control per channel

ST1 and ST2/AUX master level controls

Each channel switchable to ST2 (pre fader) or AUX (post) output

1/4" and 1/8" stereo headphone outputs

XLR balanced ouptuts for ST1 and ST2/AUX

Stereo balanced buss output/input for cascade

Ground lift switch and terminal

Tascam LM-8ST

Busch.

Tascam LM-8ST

1U rack mountable

Tascam LM-8ST

Busch.

Any word on the MSRP for this?

Kurzweil PC3X | Nord Electro 3 61 | EV SxA360s

I'm very interested in the Kurz PC3K due in Mach if they have it there.

Specifically, I'd like to know about it's VA and file management (i.e. loading/saving samples/sequences to/from media).

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

OK, very briefly because I am on a borrowed computer and am exhausted-

-Infinite Response has basically completely redone the VAX77 folding keyboard (with polyAT!), and this time around the fit and finish was impeccable, and the keyboard feel (while still a little bit light IMHO) is very much improved. I can now actually see owning this controller and using it for piano work. They have a new website and are now actually taking orders at infiniteresponse.com

-The John Bowen Solaris is now much closer to shipping (for you long suffering pre-order types) and sounds GREAT. Not many presets on the machine because OS updates are occurring almost daily, but it will be worth the wait. An Oberheim patch in particular sounded completely awesome....!

DSI came out with the keyboard version of the MoPho (but not the Tetr4?).

Moog debuted the Taurus pedal synth. Earth shaking, indeed!

There is still so much of the show I haven't seen yet- hope to settle in and cover more ground tomorrow. Caveat- this post was written under the influence of multiple Margaritas........

Oh, and markyboard- I do have those files you are interested in, I will forward them to you once I am back on my own laptop!

Can you, or any other forumite visiting NAMM,check with Clavia/Nord what will be the price for the Nord Piano 88?

"This is my rig, and if you don´t like it....well, I have others!"

"Think positive...there's always something to complain about!"

I got very interested on this one:

http://www.akaipro.com/ipk25

http://www.akaipro.com/stuff/contentmgr/files/21/5c83f14f07e1cc424f2b823497536248/medium/ipk25_angle_med_lg.png

So, I went to AKAI's booth and tried it.

* MINI KEYS = A tragedy. Ugly feeling.

* Software was not working, so I could not tell how does it sound -yet-

* Pitch + Mod wheels = great!

* Keyboard has audio connections + volume knob = great!

* Keyboard can be powered by batteries OR a power supply, which I think it is a terrific idea, given I thought it was going to be powered through iPod's port and then drain the iPod's battery in less than one hour.

... still, I did not like the mini keys at all, so paying around $150 for it seems like a lot of money. IMHO, that keyboard should be around $50.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Can you, or any other forumite visiting NAMM,check with Clavia/Nord what will be the price for the Nord Piano 88?

They are my neighbors, I'll ask tomorrow.

:thu:

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Tascam LM-8ST

1U rack mountable

Looks like someone's been lurking round here.

This is very exciting for me. It has all the features /i'm looking for.

Now I just need to know how reliable and clean sounding Tascam mixers are.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Archived