Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do you tune it?

picker

Whilst browsing through a MF catalog, and I chanced upon a sight indeed wondrous to behold!

It would appear that Schecter is making an 8 string electric guitar. EIGHT!

I gazed in mute dumbfoundedness at this unexpected dent in the envelope of guitar design manufacture, and the thought came unbidden to my bewildered mind;

How do you tune THAT? If you push a string lower than the low B on a 7 string through most guitar amps at stage volume, you're gonna cook a lot of speakers. And, a string tuned higher than the high E on any guitar would be so thin as to break if you looked at them funny.

So, how would you tune an 8 string guitar? Does anyone know? And what tuning is used on those 10 string classical axes people like Narciso Yepes play?

It's gotta be a weird tuning...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this the guitar in question?

Schecter Blackjack C-8 ATX Limited 8-String Electric Guitar

(There are a couple of other 8-string Schecter guitars listed by MF, like the Schecter Hellraiser Devil-8, but no info is provided on their respective 'pages.)

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/3/5/6/648356.jpg

If so, 'says there:

The extended 26-1/2" scale length lets you get the full tonal impact of the low C# and B notes of the 7th and 8th strings...

Tuning: C#/B/E/A/D/G/B/E

...Which seems kinda strange to me; that doesn't seem to make much sense at first- perhaps it's a typo?

EDIT: Nope, guess that's right- at least, it says the same thing on the Schecter 'site...

Strung with D'Addario strings

(gauges: .074/.064/.052/.042/.030/.017/.013/.010)

Tuned (low to high) C#/B/E/A/D/G/B/E

Hmmn, must be a reeeaally low Low-C# below that Low-B, huh? :crazy:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Well, you have to consider the fingering options you would get from that. It may be easier to grab a chord shape with a choice of either of the two low strings than if there was only a single added low string.

Other than that, the tuning listed is still only advice - you could tune whatever way you wanted. Two groups of 4 strings, or 5+3, 6+2. Overlapping tunings. All kinds of things come to mind. Think of the arpeggio voicings you could design!

Well, you have to consider the fingering options you would get from that. It may be easier to grab a chord shape with a choice of either of the two low strings than if there was only a single added low string.

Other than that, the tuning listed is still only advice - you could tune whatever way you wanted.

Oh, yeah, of course you could try other gauges and tunings, all kinds of things. Though I hadn't thought of the possibility of adding a string below the 7th-string instead of committing to one or another tuning, and having both available to choose from.

Looks like fun...

I'd imagine the metal kids would tune string 8 to an E, so they play those one fingered power chords.

BTW

There is an australian Luthier named Charles Cilia who makes 6 strings in a similar scale so he can tune to C# with 10s and retain a 'normal' feeling tension. He's a metal guy, too.

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

I'll stick with six so I never have to worry about tuning one of those 8 strings (or 7 for that matter) but if I must, I'll go with B E A D G B E A (low to high) as a starter and then play around with it from there...
Take care, Larryz

I'll stick with six so I never have to worry about tuning one of those 8 strings (or 7 for that matter) but if I must, I'll go with B E A D G B E A (low to high) as a starter and then play around with it from there...

I'm with you, going with one added below and one added above Standard tuning; but you'd have a hard time finding a string light enough AND strong enough to tune up to that High-A without breaking all the time, even on the more common of shortish-scale guitars. Although, there was a guy who posted here (and over on the Bass Player's Low Down Lowdown forum) a few times, who said he had come up with some custom string-wire for really tough high-tuned, light-gauge applications on wild 11-string basses and guitars like this...

Or, especially if on a long extended-scale like that Schecter, perhaps you could try essentially the same tuning a whole-step down, A D G C F A D G, lo-to-hi, with a .009" or .010" for the High-G. G would be more forgiving than A...

How do you tune THAT? If you push a string lower than the low B on a 7 string through most guitar amps at stage volume, you're gonna cook a lot of speakers. And, a string tuned higher than the high E on any guitar would be so thin as to break if you looked at them funny.

So, how would you tune an 8 string guitar? Does anyone know?

I think Bob Conti tunes low F# and B. At one time he tried a Peavey guitar amp with a 15" speaker, but now uses a PreSonus Bluetube preamp. Not sure what speaker setup.

[video:youtube]XIdQGN45tOU

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

I tune this 27" scale baritone to C#-G#-E-B-F#-C#-F#, its low like 8 string guitar. I have to use 0.70 or 0.68 7th string for F#, if i use less gauge, then there is a risk to pick noodles *)

http://www.ljplus.ru/img4/v/a/valdolopezz/RTA-3-D-small.jpg

www.reigntheabsolute.com

www.myspace.com/reigntheabsolute

www.myspace.com/vladimirkrylov

I tune this 27" scale baritone to C#-G#-E-B-F#-C#-F#, its low like 8 string guitar. I have to use 0.70 or 0.68 7th string for F#, if i use less gauge, then there is a risk to pick noodles *)

http://www.ljplus.ru/img4/v/a/valdolopezz/RTA-3-D-small.jpg

spell it with me everyone...R - O - C - K!

cool axe!

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

Hahh! Do you mean, if you use less gauge, the strings are loose like noodles? :D

(Cool guitar, too! What is it?)

And, I take it that you tune that C#-G#-E-B-F#-C#-F# high-to-low, am I right?

Hahh! Do you mean, if you use less gauge, the strings are loose like noodles? :D

(Cool guitar, too! What is it?)

And, I take it that you tune that C#-G#-E-B-F#-C#-F# high-to-low, am I right?

I'd tune the low 8th string to E, as someone here suggested. Or I could tune the low 3 strings EAD, like a 4 string bass, and leave the high strings in standard tuning, starting from A. That would make it like the 8 string tuning that Charlie Hunter uses. (He's back to using 7's again at the moment.)

Well, the low string on a 7 string is usually a B(Van Eps tuned it to a low A); and Lenny Breau had a 7 string where he tuned the lower strings normally and had a high A string on there, if I remember correctly. That would take care of the 8.

I wonder what gauge you'd use for the high A.

Well, the low string on a 7 string is usually a B(Van Eps tuned it to a low A); and Lenny Breau had a 7 string where he tuned the lower strings normally and had a high A string on there, if I remember correctly. That would take care of the 8.

I wonder what gauge you'd use for the high A.

Lenny Breau's 7-strings were extra short scale-length instruments, particularly his electric steel-string, to accommodate the High-A with less tension (the other was a classical, and it's High-A was fishing-line); you probably won't be able to go with a High-A on "normal" guitars without it constantly breaking. And on a long-scale axe like that Schecter? No way, no how!

I'm with you, going with one added below and one added above Standard tuning; but you'd have a hard time finding a string light enough AND strong enough to tune up to that High-A without breaking all the time, even on the more common of shortish-scale guitars. Although, there was a guy who posted here (and over on the Bass Player's Low Down Lowdown forum) a few times, who said he had come up with some custom string-wire for really tough high-tuned, light-gauge applications on wild 11-string basses and guitars like this...

Or, especially if on a long extended-scale like that Schecter, perhaps you could try essentially the same tuning a whole-step down, A D G C F A D G, lo-to-hi, with a .009" or .010" for the High-G. G would be more forgiving than A...

I could see dropping a half step (SRV style)or even a whole step down and maybe use a .008 to get the high A, G or G# if the strings kept breaking on A...the reason(s) I like staying with standard tuning is to keep all the intervals the same for scale work and playing around with partial chords/triads/doubles, etc...and not worrying about where they are as an old dummy like me will be able to find them...I don't think having the high A string above the E will get in the way of any lead work and would maybe open up new doors to include new bass riffs using that low B...it would keep me busy...

Take care, Larryz

Hey, I briefly tried a partial version of that Schecter tuning on my LP- C# B E A - and it actually works well for chord voicings. I didn't spend much time with it, though. Maybe another day! In any case, I think that they are on to somethin' there; that could work... :cool:

Archived