Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

roland srx12 electric keys card

e-keys

with all the talk about the sv1 I have been thinking about my ep situation. Not being ready to take the leap for the sv1 to upgrade eps, I am considering the srx12 card. I have the 07 card. Just wanted to know what your thought are with how this card stacks up this todays standards

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SRX-12 EP1 sounds very good, Rolands best to date and way better than the 07 card. Although it can be jumpy if the velocity sensativity is not adjusted right... I think how it behaves also depends a bit on which board you plug it into.

There were demos posted on this forum some time ago but I can never find old posts here.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Given the way the MP3 is named, I would think SRX-12 first, Scarbee second. Either way, they sound almost identical, though the first one is louder. In a mix, I don't think one could tell the difference.

I plan to pick up the srx 12 in the next couple of weeks. I figure since we can't figure out whether we like the sv-1 or not around here, I will stay with the most cost effective way I know to have a pro keyboard feel and ep sound, that is my simple sl990xp and xv5050 along with a couple of cards. It ain't fancy looking, but it works.

Given the way the MP3 is named, I would think SRX-12 first, Scarbee second. Either way, they sound almost identical, though the first one is louder. In a mix, I don't think one could tell the difference.

Ah, but they don't play identical. Trust me on this. The SRX-12 is a far cry from the Scarbee. It's usable but it has this sound I can't quite describe. Spitty...and not in a good way. Hard velocities don't thunk as much as spit. It is not a pleasing sound. And the Wurly in the card is awful. The stock Wurly in the Fantom is better.

My band Thousand Houses: www.thousandhouses.com

FWIW I use the SRX-12 in my RD 700SX (to which it is well suited for both editing and playing) and after having tried everything is probably as good a hardware alternative as there is IMO. Wurlitzer is nothing short of horrifically bad. I have not used the Clavinet extensively but recall finding it quite usable.
Fender Rhodes (x4) / Wurlitzer 200A / NE3 61 / Motif XS6 / Korg SV-1 73

You need to edit the patch. Turn off the top layer, shift the upper velocity range of the next layer up to 127. Tweak velocity switch points to suit your playing. I've also used velocity crossfades to remove the hard switching and fatten up the sound.

Given my taste in Rhodes (Herbie's sound on Thrust) this is as good as I've heard in hardware, far more expressive than Yamaha or Kurzweil, and a better tone than the Nord stuff, imo. The SV1 will do you Richard Tee's Rhodes, but not Herbie's.

The SRX-12 wurli is indeed crap and the clav isn't any better than the stock Roland patches.

YMMV.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

FWIW I use the SRX-12 in my RD 700SX (to which it is well suited for both editing and playing) and after having tried everything is probably as good a hardware alternative as there is IMO. Wurlitzer is nothing short of horrifically bad. I have not used the Clavinet extensively but recall finding it quite usable.

+1

I prefer the SRX-12 Rhodes rather than the Electro... but Scarbee of course has the far more authetic sound than the SRX-12 as proved by the demo I linked.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

You need to edit the patch. Turn off the top layer, shift the upper velocity range of the next layer up to 127. Tweak velocity switch points to suit your playing. I've also used velocity crossfades to remove the hard switching and fatten up the sound.

Given my taste in Rhodes (Herbie's sound on Thrust) this is as good as I've heard in hardware, far more expressive than Yamaha or Kurzweil, and a better tone than the Nord stuff, imo. The SV1 will do you Richard Tee's Rhodes, but not Herbie's.

The SRX-12 wurli is indeed crap and the clav isn't any better than the stock Roland patches.

YMMV.

+1 !

I got to hear Taylor Eigsti play Rhodes on a RD-700GX with Gretchen Parlato last night. I don't know whether he was using an internal sound or had the SRX-12 installed, but it sounded quite good. A little thin in the upper range, but the middle was pretty sweet.

I used the SRX-12 last week extensively on a gig... at first it was okay... in fact very very good... but after sometime it got boring to play... I did like the vibrato rhodes (the second one) the best... can't recall the name off hand...

The next night I took out a rhodes MK2 (in -24!!) with the Vox Tonelab preamp and it was a different universe...

Archived