Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Umphrey's McGee on PBS

ProfD

Wow. I'm flipping channels and catch Umphrey's McGee performing on PBS. The concert is fairly recent as it supports their 2009 "Mantis" record.

As mentioned in threads here, this band is definitely worth checking out if you dig and/or have an interest in jam bands. Musically, these cats have fused Prog Rock, Jazz, Reggae, etc.

On this concert, KB player Joel Cummins is using a Hammond B3, Yamaha S90, Moog Voyager and Roland JP8000. While he does have (4) KBs on stage, there are no fancy splits and layers. Each KB has a dedicated part i.e. S90 (acoustic piano, Rhodes, Wurly), B3 (obvious), Voyager (leads) and JP8000 (pads).

As I'm listening to these cats, I hear traces of Yes, National Health, Pink Floyd, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Rush, Steel Pulse, etc. The lead singer sounds like a cross between Sting, Joe Jackson and Donald Fagen.

It is refreshing to hear a band playing complex harmonies, slick melodies, mid-song time signature and style changes, etc. Still, it doesn't sound like a wank and noodle-fest IMO.

I'm even more suprised PBS is airing it. Free concerts still exist. This one is fantastic. I may send them $100 anyway. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was that on "Soundstage"? That was a good concert, and they're an interesting band. PBS has two great music shows on friday nights/saturday mornings: Austin City Limits and Soundstage. Soundstage is a little more hit or miss --they tend to have more mainstream acts I'm not interested in, but I DVR both shows every week.

It was on Soundstage. PBS featuring a jam band. May be a sign of the times. They picked one of the best. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Amazing....Umphrey's is a Chicago-based band (more or less) yet I can't find this episode airing anytime soon. I don't suppose someone could "capture" this on a dvd for me???? I'd be happy to provide something I've "captured" in exchange. PM if you're interested! Thanks!
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Amazing....Umphrey's is a Chicago-based band (more or less) yet I can't find this episode airing anytime soon. I don't suppose someone could "capture" this on a dvd for me???? I'd be happy to provide something I've "captured" in exchange. PM if you're interested! Thanks!

I'll check the local listing to find out if/when the concert is being re-aired. Unless someone else can provide it sooner, I will set a trap and send you a PM. :cool:

PD

Archived