Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT ... week numbering for 2010

Dave Horne

My local government changed the pickup dates for trash, garbage, paper\plastic, and glass\metal. We now have four pick up days spread over a two week period.

I meticulously entered in the reminders (just once, each to be repeated at a two week interval) in Outlook assuming week 1 was in fact week 1. Since I don't think in terms of week x, I have since learned that week one is the first week of a year that contains the first Thursday of the year. I never knew that.

I have now been acquainted with ISO, the International Organization for Standardization. Live and learn.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A minimum of three days to call it a week?

Friday and Saturday don't count as a week because they are the weekend?

I'm sure there was a reason ISO felt the need, but I don't know what it is.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Here in Houston, trash is picked up every week. Recycling is every other week, and we recently got switched from week A to week B or vice versa. They send out a calendar for the year with the notice that has the two weeks different colors. It simply continues on alternating weeks A and B for years, or until some new bureaucrat decides a new system is needed. Putting it in my computer calendar is as simple as every two weeks, ending never.

Dave, what's the difference between trash and garbage?

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

A minimum of three days to call it a week?

Friday and Saturday don't count as a week because they are the weekend?

I'm sure there was a reason ISO felt the need, but I don't know what it is.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday do count, they just count as week 53 and not week one. That's how I got things in the wrong week.

When I asked the woman behind the counter at my city hall, she told me that 4 Jan was the beginning of week one. The schedule over here is simply broken down to even and uneven weeks for the trash\recycling pick up days.

I guess also for the religious reasons\influence Monday is typically the first day of the week as well. If you're in the business of printing yearly agendas there has to be a consensus on the numbering of the weeks.

I put a shitload of paper and plastic on the street to be picked up today ... and it wasn't, thus the trip to the local city hall.

Dave, what's the difference between trash and garbage?

That's my differentiation since I'm from Philadelphia. :) Garbage is food and garden waste, trash is everything else to include those items that are not recycled. (We also have a chemical\hazardous material classification well.)

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Dave, don't complain. Here in my town we get trash picked up once a week (unless there's a Holiday, then it gets put off by a day), and we have to PAY to have recycling picked up every week, so instead I take it to the recycling bins myself for free.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Ours gets picked up every Wednesday & Saturday. I guess they figure that garbage left for longer than that can get a bit pungent in the Florida Heat.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

We seem to have garbage trucks rolling through the alley behind my home every Tuesday and Friday. I believe that they pick up one set of dumpsters on one day, and another on the other. Perhaps they are competing mafioso- er, waste management organizations that have come to a compromise over who milks the city for certain amounts of money at certain times. All I know is that I take out the trash and it magically goes away, and that garbage trucks don't care if I am recording or performing acoustic music in here.

waste management

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_iOFGOB1X7cA/SseIGnKhoxI/AAAAAAAABm8/DBI_uFxhRKo/s320/fat_tony.gif

Archived