Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Light weight 88-key weighted action keyboard with pitch bend

heehee62

I want to find the lightest weight keyboard that has the following capabilities:

1. 88-key weighted action

2. can be connected to computer for additional sounds and DAW capabilities via computer program

3. pitch bend wheel

4. can attach sustain pedal to it

5. built in speakers

6. only needs one sound on its own, a good piano sound. The rest I can get from a computer connection.

So what's a good keyboard for me? Lightweight is really important cause I want to be able to take it around with me everywhere and I'm not really all that strong.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have not played one myself, but based on the scuttlebutt around this forum, it sounds like a casio px-330. 25 lbs, good piano sound, 88 weighted keys, pitch bend wheel and relatively cheap ($700 at most online shops.) Was a key buy in keyboard mag a few issues back.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Check out the Studiologic Numa Nano if you can find one in the states already. It weights less than the Casios (10 kgs!), has MIDI zones, aftertouch, pitch *and* mod wheels, USB, etc.

Only thing, it doesn't have onboard sounds, so you would need an external module, like a Kurzweil ME1 (half rack) or PC2R (1 rack; still superior to the Casio piano sounds in my opinion)

Just remember these Casios don't have built-in USB or computer connections. However, it's really easy and inexpensive to connect using a MIDI-to-USB interface.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

My CASIO Privia 330 has a USB port.

The electric piano sounds are better on the Privia 300

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench; a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. ............ There's also a negative side"

My CASIO Privia 330 has a USB port.
Oops, my bad! Let me correct my earlier statement.

"Just remember some of these Casios don't have built-in USB or computer connections."

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Based on the capabilities you've listed, I think the PX-330 would be a great fit. Very portable, too. I've found that the PX-330 at 26 lbs, plus gig bag is a nice alternative to my 50 LB S90ES (80+ Lbs. in its' hard case). Though there are still gigs where the S90ES is my 'board of choice, the Privia more than holds its' own on many of my live gigs. Also, it's worked out well for DAW/softsynth control. Regarding the on-board pianos: to me it plays and sound like an instrument that costs more than $700. I feel that, for many reasons, it deserves the Key Buy award that Keyboard Magazine gave it a few months back.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Wow. Near unanimous response from everyone. I'll go test out the Privia.

I'll look at the Numa Nano and keep the CDP-100 in mind too but I'm not sure I'd want a keyboard without any onboard sounds and the CDP-100 doesn't have a pitch bend wheel which I'm not sure I'd want to live without.

Thanks a lot everyone.

I purchased my PX-110 last in June of 2009. $380 delivered from the net. The PX-110 is at the bottom of the Priva line and is basically a stage piano with a few additional sounds. I was pleased to see that the October 2009 copy of Keyboard Magazine agreed with my evaluation of the Priva PX series. They reviewed a PX-330, which has more bells and whistles that my PX-110.. It is my opinion that the PX-... is an unbelievable bang for the buck.

I play one or two gigs a week at different locations. One group is an old folks Ukelele band (30 pieces) which play for assisted living centers, luncheon clubs etc. every Thursday morning. We have done over 500 performances. The other group is 5 old geezers like me who play music of the 40's and 50's for 50th wedding anniversaries, house parties etc.

My Priva lives in the back of my van inside of a box I made that has permanent casters attached to the bottom of the box, and permanent folding legs attached to the bottom of the box. My set-up time at the venue is about 5 minutes. I pull the box to my spot for the gig, lift (one end at a time) and pull down the folding legs on the box, lift the lid on the box and plug my rig into the wall. It takes another minute or two to plug in my Roland KC-60 Keyboard amplifier (25 lbs).

The 26 pound weight of the Priva is very important to me. as is the Piano sounds and the real piano feel of the keyboard. (I also have in my studio a Yamaha S-90ES, an old Alesis QS-8, Baldwin Model R grand piano and a Yamaha HX-1 Electone.) I use Finale and Sonar almost daily in my studio

The Priva has some powerful teaching aids plus some fun things like automatic accompaniment and drum loops. However for my needs a 26 pound stage piano that sounds good and feels as good as the Priva is absolutely remarkable.

Bob Stiffler

Florida P.E. (Retired)

Duffer musician

Archived