Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ithaca College music school piano rooms damaged

Dave Horne

link to original article

Ithaca (WSYR-TV)- Ithaca College is trying to find the person or people responsible for damaging more than 60 piano rooms in its music school this weekend.

Melodies filled the building once again at Ithacas music school, but it wasn't like that this past weekend.

Elizabeth Leger was supposed to practice for her final Sunday.

I looked at one of the pianos and the rack was on the floor this section of the piano was taken off and all the lids were open, Leger said.

Gregory Woodward is the Dean of the music school. He saw all the damage on Saturday and he couldn't believe what was left behind.

Hinges were broken and wood was torn off the wood surfaces of the pianos. So a lot of repairs are going to be needed, Woodward said. A couple of them were tipped over so that you couldn't even open the door.

Woodward and others spent the whole day Sunday getting the rooms back in shape so that students could prepare once Monday came.

The school doesn't know yet how much it will cost them to repair all the pianos. It was able to fix a majority of them over the weekend, but some still require extensive repairs.

Anyone with information should call Ithaca campus Public Safety at 607-274-3333.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This happens EVERY TIME someone tries to tackle Rachmaninoff's 3rd Concerto!! :eek:

Seriously though, while my first reaction was to curse some random vandal a-holes, I think it's almost as likely that it was a piano student who went off the deep end as finals approached...

"If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J. R. R. Tolkien

Ithaca is about 90 minutes from Rochester in the Finger Lakes region. The college has a very nice music school. They have maybe the best music ed program in the country with a job placement rate at or near 100%. Great college town, too. I can't remember but Ithaca might be an "All Steinway" school which would make the crime that much worse.

Damn, that's terrible. I remember, in college, access to the practice rooms became more and more restricted as security increased. Luckily, the night security guard was a friend and I could manage to sneak in after the building was closed ;)

Someone actually stole a piano from the music building.

Archived