Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Solo piano gig rate?

Dave Bryce

Hi, guys -

A company would like to hire me to play an hour to an hour and a half of solo piano at their reception at NAMM this year, and are asking me how much I'd charge. When I do solo piano stuff, it's usually during drinks/dinner of gigs that I'm already doing with a full band, and I typically get an extra chunk that varies depending on how much we get paid for the evening. I haven't contracted for solo piano in years...

So, what's reasonable for me to quote?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a NAMM reception, not some ordinary country club gig. How much mileage do you think they're hoping to get out of the fact that Keyboard's own Dave Bryce is playing the piano bar? I say you get a substantial premium for that.

Larry.

Depending on your area market rate, but if I walk in and play the house piano and no setup is involved, I get $100 an hour, with usually a 2 hour minimum (during the week) and usually get a drink a set. Weekends can be higher, or simply have the 3 hour min.

If I have to bring gear, then its either a 3 hour minimum, or my hourly rate for 2 hours, plus $50 setup (so for them, its worth the extra $50 for me to play the third hour).

YMMV.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

How much mileage do you think they're hoping to get out of the fact that Keyboard's own Dave Bryce is playing the piano bar? I say you get a substantial premium for that.

'preciate the thought, but I don't think that's what they're after...I'm just a piano player a friend of theirs recommended.

They just offered me $300. I think that sounds reasonable for an hour and a half of music with no setup or breakdown (piano at the Marriott bar).

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I was going to say $250 for 1.5 hrs., that's pretty quick, especially if you are already down in Anaheim. I'm just under bidding everything these days. If you think you can get $300, give it a shot.

I've played the Kawai Party at NAMM the last few years. It was $400 for a few years then they cut me back to $250 last year. I negotiated the hours down to 2.5 from 3.

Gigs are canceling left and right. I just was told the film composer John Debney would not be having his annual Christmas Eve party at his home in Burbank. Drag for me, great paying gig.

Even if people have the dough, they don't want to appear to be "over-indulging"---not in good taste when over half the people in town in the Biz' are out of work and losing their homes.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Factor in the cost of flying and hoteling your roadie from Indianapolis into the price :laugh:
:thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Record the job, play it for us, and we'll determine how much if any money should be returned. :)

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Archived