Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT ... Mary Poppins and Soccer

Dave Horne

My wife watches a Dutch idols type show where week after week they whittle down a group of very talented singers to just one who will, in this instance, appear in the lead role of Mary Poppins. I really don't like this kind of show and would love to see this satirized - a runoff for Nobel Prize winners, for example, might be entertaining for some.

At any rate, soccer is very popular over here and just after the end of the last Mary Poppins runoff, they had a live preview of the next program which was about soccer. This live preview\commercial (a round table discussion) featured one expert who said (in Dutch, of course), Are we going to have to watch this shit every Sunday evening? I assume he knew this was live, but at any rate, he was referring to the Mary Poppins runoff and I pretty much agreed with him.

You gotta like Dutch TV. :)

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mate, thanks for those videos! I must have missed those episodes when they appeared. Wonderful!

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Re: The Dutch guy saying:

Are we going to have to watch this shit every Sunday evening?

Can't tell you how disappointed I am. I'd always assumed the Dutch were smarter than us Usonians--smart enough to know that the simple solution is to TURN THE D$^N THING OFF!

This live preview\commercial (a round table discussion) featured one expert who said (in Dutch, of course), Are we going to have to watch this shit every Sunday evening? I assume he knew this was live, but at any rate, he was referring to the Mary Poppins runoff and I pretty much agreed with him.
I would have hoped he was referring to the soccer...
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Re: The Dutch guy saying:

Can't tell you how disappointed I am. I'd always assumed the Dutch were smarter than us Usonians--smart enough to know that the simple solution is to TURN THE D$^N THING OFF!

Dutch TV is a tad more laid back than US TV. Programs here don't start automatically to the second. If one program happens to run a little late, the next program also will begin a little late. I can imagine that happened with the Mary Poppins runoff.

All things considered the Dutch might actually be smarter than we Americans. ;)

Kanker, do you realise that is blasphemy ? ? ? :evil:

Shame on you ! ! !

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

Kanker, do you realise that is blasphemy ? ? ? :evil:

Shame on you ! ! !

Sorry, soccer's not a sport. Any game that the Rockettes are uniquely qualified to play is not a sport. Any game that involves 22 kickers is not a sport. Any game where refs can arbitrarily add time to it is not a sport.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

[quote=Dave Horne

All things considered the Dutch might actually be smarter than we Americans. ;)

In this usage "us" Americans is correct. Or, more correcterer. Betterer.

"Than" has served as both a preposition and a conjunction in English for at least 400 years. Here, "than" is acting as a preposition, not a conjunction. There was a movement in the 18th century to Latinize English, at which point some rigid thinkers (led by a Latin scholar, Robert Lowth) tried to limit "than" to its use as a conjunction. But they were wrong to do so, which is why "smarter than me, him, her, us or them" still sounds better than "smarter than I, he, she, we, or they."

The same misguided movement created confusion around the use of who and whom, and the odd notions that sentences should not end with a preopsition and that infinitives dast not be split.

As in music, the ear is often a better guide than theory. (Of course, it matters what you grew up hearing what you grew up reading.)

Should give you some fun stuff to google today, Dave.

You might be more knowledgeable than ... me? :rolleyes:

grammar link

Rule 5. To decide whether to use the subject or object pronoun after the words than or as, mentally complete the sentence.

Examples: Tranh is as smart as she/her.

If we mentally complete the sentence, we would say, "Tranh is as smart as she is." Therefore, she is the correct answer.

Zoe is taller than I/me.

Mentally completing the sentence, we have, "Zoe is taller than I am."

Daniel would rather talk to her than I/me.

We can mentally complete this sentence in two ways: "Daniel would rather talk to her than to me." OR "Daniel would rather talk to her than I would." As you can see, the meaning will change depending on the pronoun you choose.

Because I would think any time someone runs over 30 Km for 90 minutes or more, uses a lot of strategy and yet a lot of improvisation and creativity, kicks a ball probably over 30 Km/h, use every part of his or her body except the easiest one to control the ball, where the goalie has to defend a net about 10 feet by 10 yards using only his body, where the only protective equipment is a little piece of plastic on the shin and a cup if you want it, where people jump head first at each other, where you receive the kickoff on your head, and I'll stop there, but I could go on, is a sport. But that's just me.

Kanker, quick question. Is Nascar a sport?

It's actually a metaphor for politics. Artificial celebrities (who are admittedly skilled at what they do) riding nearly identical machines at high speed, jostling each other to see who can be the first back where they started. Lots of people watch with slack-jawed interest; others only care when one of the racers fails spectacularly.

(not mine, sadly enough)

Archived