Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Buddy & J-style Bluuuuuues!

super combinator

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Super cool video. I think Buddy Guy's guitar tone was too stark for my taste, (although I like almost everything about his music I think his tone suffers from his amp choice or tone settings).
I wondered if he kept it dialed back so as not to overwhelm the Japanese guy's shamisen. Sounded o.k. to me, though.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice! :cool: Love it, thanks, that's great!

That Japanese guy wailin' on the shamisen- his name displayed in Chinese lettering there- is Takeharu Kunimoto, quite the studied and versatile musician. Dig his fretless three-string chops! :D:cool:

And yeah, looking at the Vibro King 3x10 and Marshall half-stack, I think that Guy's and Duarte's volumes were reined in for the television studio, to the detriment of their respective tone. Great playing , though!

confused.gif Say, Super Combinator- can you clear this up for me? I see that there's Japanese written in Chinese "alphabet", meaning one thing in Japanese, and another in Chinese- for example, the Chinese lettering displayed on that video 'page translating to "Takeharu Kunimoto" in Japanese, also translates to (allegedly, according to Google Translate) "State of the Chun" in Chinese. Is it common practice in Japan to utilize the Chinese lettering for Japanese language? Or, am I even more confused than I thought I was? :D

EDIT: (Dang- the Chinese lettering I tried to copy & paste into this post won't display other than as a string of code jibberish!)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

And yeah, looking at the Vibro King 3x10 and Marshall half-stack, I think that Guy's and Duarte's volumes were reined in for the television studio, to the detriment of their respective tone.
Mmmm, I didn't think Buddy's tone was bad, just not as loud or distorted as at some other times. Duarte I've never been a fan of, so I don't care what his tone sounds like. (Yes, for those of you keeping score at home, that's Hendrix, Janis Joplin, The Doors and Chris Duarte that I'm not too crazy about, a minority position hereabouts. http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/reifspano/Smileys/image19.gif )

...Duarte I've never been a fan of, so I don't care what his tone sounds like. (Yes, for those of you keeping score at home, that's Hendrix, Janis Joplin, The Doors and Chris Duarte that I'm not too crazy about, a minority position hereabouts.

Well, except for his first album, I'd have to agree. I haven't heard him do much since that tripped my trigger, but that first album does it for sure.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Caev,

yeah I didnt put part 1 in because there wasnt much playing, as for Japanese its made up of Kanji(Chinese characters), Hiragana & Katakana, the later 2 are just phonetic characters which cover all sounds in the Japanese language, they are all mixed together so to speak. Theres more to it than that but while it looks Chinese, it is & it isnt haha.

Hope that helps, as you can tell I am no teacher haha, I tell people that I am one of the few people who are illiterate in more than one language, how many can say that :freak::wave:

grant

Hahh! :D:thu: Thanks for the further info; now, when you think about it, that really isn't so much different from the way English speaking Westerners utilize elements of the Roman and Greek alphabet and Arabic numerals.

Any idea what the source is for that snippet of a vid-clip that they show briefly in that second vid with Buddy Guy and Jeff Beck playing outside in Las Vegas? I'd like to see and know more of that!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived