Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Variable/adjustable earplugs??

kitty97

Hey, does anyone have experience using variable or adjustable earplugs on stage? I'm looking for something that will protect me from the onslaught of the guitarist's amp 18 inches from my head (yeah, I'm short!) while still allowing me to hear what's going on. Our band does not have the cash flow for IEM's just yet, so I'm looking for something in the relatively inexpesive range (under $50) that might filter out some of the most painful frequencies. Oh, and did I mention that I have freakishly small ear canals? Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you mean by variable or adjustable?

Your local audiologist can fit you for custom ear molds, and any of a half dozen manufacturers can make ear plugs for you. The little drums that do the actual attenuation come in various dB ratings from -9 to about -25. I own the -25dB models.

But, gee, move the amp.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

My experience is that you can buy them with fixed attenuation rates. Not "Variable" but available in "various" attenuation rates.

I also have freakishly small ear canals. NONE of the IEM's worked for me except the Shure SCL3's and I swear by them! The shafts on most of them are too big even before you put any tips on them at all. I use the squishy foam tips on the SCL3's. You roll them and they expand in your ear canals. Work great, but disposable, so I go through a lot.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

If your ear canals are small, custom molds are the way to go. My wife never was comfortable with off-the-shelf ear plugs, and so didn't use them as much as she should have. Now with the custom molds she wears them regularly without complaint. As Bill mentioned, you can get different filters for them.

Best of all, the sound that gets thru is flat. You almost can't even tell they're filtering. Most earplugs, especially the ones Dave pictured, roll off the highs and change the shape of the sound you hear. The filters for the custom ones sounds just like without earplugs, except quieter.

Oh, this will cost you more than $50. But we are talking about saving your hearing, and when you consider the money you spend on gear, it's worth it.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

+1 for the custom-molded ones. I just got my first pair a few weeks ago, and I swear by them. They took some getting used to, but now I love 'em. It really is just like turning down the volume knob on the outside world. Yes, they cost more than you're looking to spend ($150 including the fitting is what I paid, and it seems to be the norm), but so, so very worth it. And given what you said about your ear canals, it may turn out to be the only practical option.

http://www.frank-blakeley.com/ear_plugs.jpg

very uncomfortable for those of us with smaller ear canals. The design causes them to be trying to return to their normal shape, constantly putting pressure on the ear canal. Custom molds put no pressure on the canal.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived