Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Autotune Creativity - an oxymoron?

Cliffk

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Came across
on Youtube which, in my view, is the only really creative use I've found for Autotune: comedy. Rather good, I think.

That's a vocoder, not Autotune.

(edit)

Still a clever use of a vocoder, and much more interesting than the typical shit.

No....that's autotune (It's one of the reasons they title the series "autotune the news")

I mean....it may be melodyne, but it's definitely not a vocoder. While the pitch correction is on 100%, it still maintains the timbre of the original voice....the pitch is just drawn into the graphical mode to create the melody. If it were a vocoder the timbre would be all....well...synthesized, y'know?

And yes....I LOVE the autotune the news series of videos. Awesome stuff. I think #8 is my favorite:

[video:youtube]

"Made in America!"

"Katie Couric is off today.

But I'm still lookin' at a fine Shawty"

:)

No....that's autotune (It's one of the reasons they title the series "autotune the news")

I mean....it may be melodyne, but it's definitely not a vocoder.

And yes....I LOVE the autotune the news series of videos. Awesome stuff. I think #8 is my favorite:

"Made in America!"

I get why they're calling it "Autotune the news" - it's because "Vocode the news" wouldn't have hit on any searches.

Maybe it is AT or similar, but I'm skeptical.

I mean....it may be melodyne, but it's definitely not a vocoder.

"Made in America!"

I get why they're calling it "Autotune the news" - it's because "Vocode the news" wouldn't have hit on any searches.

Maybe it is AT or similar, but I'm skeptical.

Nah....listen to the sound of the voice. That's not a modulater/carrier synth sound.....that's just someones voice"flattened" and strung into a melody.

I don't profess to be an expert on auto tune or vocoders, but the fact that T-Pain is involved would lead me to believe it's auto tune, because auto tune is definitely what he uses for his "signature" vocal sound.

Funny videos. At least T-Pain seems to "get" the novelty of the whole auto tune thing and doesn't seem to take himself too seriously.

Nah....listen to the sound of the voice. That's not a modulater/carrier synth sound.....that's just someones voice"flattened" and strung into a melody.

Yep. It's particularly obvious when they run the voice of a newscaster or politician through Autotune - it's clearly their actual voice being mucked up by Autotune.

Archived