Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help WAAAY OT: What to do with Medication after someone dies

Bobadohshe

So if I only play music I dig in a way that sounds good to me, I don't need to know about all that diatonic and chromatic stuff? :thu:

Seriously though, the chemical disposal problem is much bigger than just prescription drugs. It's a shame our litigious society sometimes suppresses the exercise of common sense - like using perfectly good drugs to help others.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If anything, it seems like this discussion has given her a reason, particularly with her working in the legal dept, for her to say "We need to address this." Hopefully the practice spreads from that kind of initiative.
I'm sure she would say that she couldn't do anything, but I'm pushing for it. Even if it means getting one of the attorneys to look into it and get the ball rolling.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Because of the water supply issue, current recommendations for disposal of medications is to mix the pills with a noxious substance (like coffee grounds, for ex.) and put them in the trash and then to the landfill. This is a 'less bad' alternative to flushing, since it is impractical to expect people to bring them to hazardous waste sites.

Sadly, disposing of the medication is the safest solution. If these are cancer drugs, the stakes are too high for the recipient to assume they have been handled properly and to risk their treatment on them (temperature extremes, humidity in a bathroom if not vacuum sealed containers, etc). Part of quality control is proper chain of handling, which cannot be verified once medications leave a pharmacy.

If they are narcotics, transferring ownership runs up against DEA regulations. You are basically dispensing controlled substances without a license. Maybe there is some agency out there who can take them, but without a verified handling history, it is unlikely.

I'm sorry for your friend's loss. Trying to find a way to pass on these valuable medications is a great way to honor her friend's memory. It's a shame there are so many obstacles.

It is a tough thing to deal with, and while the obstacles are there theoretically for a reason, they are also there as part of an industry-sponsored regulatory guarantee that the only way a patient can gain access to the super-expensive drugs they peddle is directly from them, through prescription channels here in the US.

Going CL with them would undoubtedly get you arrested quickly. All it takes is one narcotic (undoubtedly, a cancer patient will have scripts for many extremely potent narcotics) to be transferred from you to another individual (who is more likely to sell them on the black market) for you to be guilty of distributing controlled substances, which carries a mandatory minimum federal prison sentence.

If an organization like Doctors without Borders won't take them, the best thing you can do for yourself is to dispose of them in the safest manner possible.

Something not yet mentioned, take care when disposing of the pill bottle or anything else with prescription information. Dumster divers consider that a jackpot.
Yep. Rip off the labels and shred them
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Archived