Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Picks...

GreySeraph

See, they are so smooth, I 'throw' them when I get sweated up, and they shatter. At $6 each (in 1973 dollars) I quickly ran out of the desire to use them.

Hmmm...I don't know about the ones from the 1970s, but I know that some of the modern manufacturers of stone picks have attempted to address that issue with a variety of textured "grip" surfaces.

And, for that matter, have you considered something like Stickum to reduce "throwing" in general? Also, if it isn't your hands that produce the problematic sweat (mine almost don't sweat at all, for instance), a simple wristband should provide enough absorption to keep your hands dry.

Heck, you might even try a fingerless glove- like a weightlifting glove- to alleviate the sweaty hand problem.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For years I used light guage picks. about .50

Usually Claytons. Delrin mostly.

I recently discovered Ultex and have gone to .73 and my picking has greatly improved. I was amazed in fact. I actually ordered myself some custom Ultex picks from a popular pick maker and am looking forward to their arrival.

Laney

Gibsons...All Gibsons

I could see those sticky things to hold picks to your hand, but I dont think a glove would be good. What about all the articulations that need your palm, such as fade outs and palm mutes and stuff? I even sometimes do a right-hand capo technique.

(I mean, I dont really need the stuff...just trying to devil's advocate this to see what's best. the last time I dropped a pick was years ago when I was still just starting)

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

See, they are so smooth, I 'throw' them when I get sweated up, and they shatter. At $6 each (in 1973 dollars) I quickly ran out of the desire to use them.

...have you considered something like Stickum to reduce "throwing" in general?

lightbulb.gifGorilla Snot

______ SnotJar_12-30-2008-3a237984e956447eb25ef810c064f61a.jpg

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Well, like I said above,

Ultex picks solve the problem, as to gator grips, pro grips etc.

No reason to weld anything to my hands.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

^Though actually welding something to your hands WOULD be pretty badass. I'm just sayin'.

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

For me it's the old standard Fender mediums, plastic, in whatever color. Used to just buy a gross box of them as a kid (it was a pain to get to the music store) and never thought about anything else. Recently I ran out and ran into a store on the way to a gig and they were out, so I got some Fenders in the same shape, but they're delrin, I think, and 60mm instead of "medium." By the end of that gig four hours later my picking arm, elbow, wrist and thumb and first finger were killing me... The slight difference in thickness and rigidity threw my entire technique off enough to screw me up for a few days. I said something about this a few days after that at a music store and one guy said I was crazy but an older guy served up an antecdote about some famous pro baseball pitcher who had one slight thing changed for a season and it screwed up his arm and ended his career, and how that's why those guys are almost superstitious about maintaining a ritual to have everything constant, down to types of shoelaces and the way their socks fit.

We're athletes of a sort (especially our drummer friends) and whether we realize it or not we condition ourselves and our muscle memory, plus the entire subconscious thing of wanting to hear or feel a certain thing and compensating in ways when we aren't getting it.

I also will put on a plastic thumb pick and a couple of metal finger picks to play the electric 12 string McGuinn-style. Fun.

I wanted to like thumbpicks and fingerpicks- not to mention heavy-duty artificial nails- btu, maaan, did I hate 'em!! :mad::evil: Couldn't be rid of 'em fast enough!

'Just me', though. There sure are a LOT of GREAT players who get fantastic results with all of the above.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I wanted to like thumbpicks and fingerpicks- not to mention heavy-duty artificial nails- btu, maaan, did I hate 'em!! :mad::evil: Couldn't be rid of 'em fast enough!

I tried metal ones, plastic ones, alaska piks. all sorts of options, more than once. Just never got down with them. I tried just using fingernails, but the strings wear down the nails.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Have a couple of acoustic buds that have false nails (super hard) on their right hand, filed and used for picks...just be careful shaking hands with them...they sound great...but they do scratch their guitars more than picks do...I can't stand metal or plastic finger picks...tried them and that clicking sound was me hitting the pickguards on my strats so I gave them up...they hurt my fingers anyway...now I just hold the pick with my thumb and index finger and use my middle and ring fingers when I want to do some double or finger picking hybrid style rockabilly or latin lead two string kinda stuff...
Take care, Larryz

Super glue should be used for emergency situations because it's HORRIBLE for nails. If you shape your nails properly, using nails on even steel strings wont damage/wear the nails down. Treat it like a classical guitar, thumb especially (because i hate how scratchy it sounds when people try to play with their thumbnail incorrectly on a steel stringed guitar (acoustic or electric)).

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

I just got some of those Ultex Jazz IIIs for travis picking. They're pretty cool. A little on the small side, but Dunlop isn't kidding when they say that Ultex "telegraphs" the slightest nuances of your picking style to the string.

Archived