Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lady Marmalade

Graham56

With cover versions I often go back and listen to the originals again after playing them for awhile. I usually spot little details that I missed when learning the song in the first place.

Ive just done this with Patti Labelles Lady Marmalade. And hell, Ive been playing the signature bass riff wrong for about 10 gigs!

Ive been playing :

G B D Bb(high) F G C

And now I can hear something different. I think Im hearing:

G D F Bb(high) F G C

But, you know, Im having a bit of a wobble at the moment. I cant quite pick all the notes out sometimes I think its one thing, sometimes another. Its getting to be a bugbear.

Ill try the listen from the next room trick tonight.

Many of you here must have played it too. What do you do?

Cheers

Graham

www.talkingstrawberries.com - for rocking' blues, raw and fresh!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way my band plays, I'm ashamed to say that in a lot of cases I don't even know what the original sounds like. We used to work off chords/lyrics sheets and took it from there. I basically did whatever came to mind, and the drummer fed off that.

Makes for interesting comparisons, though. And we heard a version of "Rock This Joint" (Bill Haley) that sounded so much better than what we made of it, that I'm going to go back and listen to that one to see if I can't liven it up.

Oh, I get those wobbles a lot, too !

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

I listen to the original of Mustang Sally for the first time last weekend, I've played that song in gigs at least 50 times. I was a bit far off, not notes wise but rythm wise.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

In general we take a farly 'free and easy' view of copying cover songs. We will do our own version which suits us, our line-up, our abilities and (we hope) our audience.

But the basic bass riff of this song is such an important signature that I'd like to get it right. Or at least, know when I am playing it differently and why...

Cheers

Grahm

In Lady Marmalade, the bass part IS the song.

Sorry, Graham, it's:

D F G Bb F G C

I transcribed the whole thing, I could fax it to you.

I'm sorry, J, but I just listened to it again with your notes in mind (we play it at almost every gig) and I really disagree with it. I'm positive Graham's latest assertion is correct. The first note is definitely the root and is followed by the 5 and b7.

In Lady Marmalade, the bass part IS the song.

Sorry, Graham, it's:

D F G Bb F G C

I transcribed the whole thing, I could fax it to you.

In LIFE the bass part is the song. :D

I must respectfully, and regretfully, disagree with my learned, shaven-headed colleague on the Left Coast. I haven't transcribed the whole thing, just bits 'n pieces to jog my memory, but this is what I have:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/cft3/ladymarmaladebass.jpg

Also, I've been playing LaBelle's original version over and over for the last 10 minutes. The bass line is very audible the way I have it EQ'd, and I stand by what I put on the paper, at least for the main riff.

I haven't had much time to listen to this as I'd hoped (band practice instead!).

But I still hear the riff starting on the G. There might be something going on with the very first note of the song, hidden by the organ. But I haven't been able to pick it out yet.

I've played along using Jeremy's transcript. But I'm sure I hear something different.

Jeremy, that's a very kind offer to fax me me your transcript. Can I take you up on that? I'll PM a fax number in the morning(it's getting late here!)

Cheers

Graham

I'm struggling with picking out a few notes on some songs I'm working. It happens (though I'm OK, I'm not a "master ear").

Poor J - 8 years on the forum and he's been shown to be wrong - once in 12K posts. I'm wrong more than that every time I go to band practice.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived