Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need advice from those with experience with Nord Lead 1 & 2

Alkeys

Hey guys- I'd really appreciate some advice with this.

I used to have a Nord Lead 2 and sold it a long time ago.

I am thinking about getting a Nord Lead 1 or a Nord Lead 2.

After reading tons or reviews and without having direct experience with a Nord Lead 1 I only have those opinions to go by.

I have heard the Nord Lead 1 sounds better than the Nord Lead 2 and has a nicer keyboard/keybed than the Nord Lead 2 as well. Is this true?

Does the Nord Lead 1 sound better than the Nord Lead 2?

What will I notice in the difference in sound? Thx

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As far as i know, NL2 and NL1 have similar sounds - much more edgy, electronica friendly and harsh than their younger brother (NL3). The difference: NL2 has more sounds (storage capability, esp. with the PSMCIA designated card) and more polyphony than the NL1
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

The difference: NL2 has more sounds (storage capability, esp. with the PSMCIA designated card) and more polyphony than the NL1

Exactly as I remember it. I had both and don't remember a difference in keyboard feel or oscillator and filter sound. I believe the 2 added ring mod, osc 1 sync to noise, and an arppegiator.

Thanks. I'm aware of all the feature differences.

I was more concerned if the oscillators sounded different like if they had a different character to their sound and if the keybed felt different.

Apparently there is quite a big difference in sound between the Nord Lead 2X and the Nord Lead 1. Apparently a lot of people prefer the original.

Don't recall the keybed, except that I didn't care for either. (sorry) There's the usual talk on the internet about the D/A converters being different ... leading to a little more fizz on the original Lead 1. Haven't A/B-ed them side by side, but I have played them both at different times. Perhaps the NL2x sounded a tad clearer, but mostly what I recall is their tonal similarity.

If you want to rough up a sound, there are lots of ways to do that.

I've owned the NL1, NL2 Rack and NL2x (owned several of all of these over the years). The sound difference from the D/A converters in the 2x is not a major differentiator, perhaps a bit cleaner in an exposed recording, but not anything to jump leaps and bounds over the earlier models. The main reason to buy the 2x is the increased polyphony and memory.

The main reason to NOT buy the NL1 is lack of split capability, if that is important to you (but you can control multi-timbrally via MIDI). Also, the NL1 when not expanded to 12 voice is only 4 voice poly and that is not too fun these days considering the sound palette of the NL series.

Regards,

Eric

Archived