Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

compressor question

sachimay

this is my set up:

Yamaha Cp300

Nord Electro 61

Yamaha S90-Es module

M-audio controller(the cheap one)

Behringer mixer (2 stereo inputs)

QSC Power Amp

The way I run it is I take the outputs from the S90Es module and run them into the CP300 so I get stereo for all three boards.

My question: I was playing a gig a few weeks go in a rock situation and the sound guy was having a bit of a hard time with the varying levels of the 3 boards...he recommened I get a relatively inexpensive compressor to help make all there levels more even.

Can any one recommend a compressor and or offer any advice in dealing with this issue? Most of my gigs are jazz gigs where I don't use the module/controller and the volume is a lot lower, this is fine....

thanks!

www.dandechellis.com

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." A. Einstein

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've talked about this before, and the sounds in your modules are already compressed. And the problem has to do with patches and their relative levels being out of whack. The general consensus is that this is something that you should fix. But if that is not what you want to do, you can certainly get a limiter, and squish everything down to the peak level of your softest patch.

There are two problems with this that I find insurmountable... first, it is hugely expensive to find a compressor that will not add to the noise floor...all the cheap ones hiss like snakes. And I feel that this usually chokes the life out of the sound.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I'm not aware of an S90Es module. Perhaps you are thinking of something else.

I would also advise against using a compressor to balance the levels. I would set the levels at home. Confirm them during soundcheck. We had a thread on this very subject a few weeks ago.

Here you go.

Am I having deja-vu, or was there not a thread on this exact subject recently? Was that you that posted before, or is there some rogue sound guy out there telling every keyboard player to get a compressor?

Compression on keys is not a bad thing (quite the contrary), but I think it's a bad solution to that problem. Honestly, though, it's not surprising that would be the sound guy's solution. A lot of sound guys like to be able to "set it and forget it" and when they can't do that they get annoyed. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try to keep your levels somewhat even, though. I would just spend some time with your set-up to see if you can regulate the volume in your signal chains, and if you're happy with the levels, it's more the sound guy's problem than yours. Then again, the sound guy's problem can become your problem pretty easily. Sometimes certain sounds are supposed to be louder, and the sound guy may not understand that, especially if he's unfamiliar with your music. That's especially true for us keyboard players, as many sound guys always want to bury the keys for some reason.

I thought this sounded very familiar. I wonder if both of you talked to the same sound guy? That would be pretty funny.

I doubt that. The sound guy I dealt with was at a gig in Gaspesie, Quebec.

Like you said, it's probably a common sound guy solution for this kind of problem.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

A very sinmple way to equalize the output on different boards is to use a small mixer, set the gains, and use the sliders to adjust. Compressors squeeze the life out of sound when used impropely. Losing the dynamics of the board isn't worth it in my opinion. Most people overcompress. A little goes a long way!
SR guy thats finally decided to put his collection of toys to personal use (extremely G.A.S.'y) LOL

Yea this has been a regular topic.

I only use one board (CP300) now but have internally adjusted the volume level for those few sounds I use to be as close to each other as possible. I never have to make any big adjusts in volume when playing.

Even when I used modules and a Voce unit, I adjusted levels at home (using my sound system set up) just to keep things easy on the job.

Having said that, I have no idea why the volume levels within one unit (and I'm talking similar sounds) will vary so much.

I do use a compressor but only the vocal mic goes through that. (When you have speakers that can handle big transients and an amp that can deliver those transients, a compressor is used to save my hearing as well as those of the listeners.)

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

well, the majority of my level problems seem to occur with the Motif Module....I think it might have to do with the fact that I am running it back through the CP300 as opposed to having it go straight to my mixer....I appreciate all the input about using a compressor...i didnt like the idea of using one in the first place..

also, I have read that people have issues with the Nord with regards to getting a strong enough signal...so I need to figure out the way to set up the level of the Nord to balance out with the other 2 boards...

I think I am going to upgrade my small mixer to have enough stereo inputs for all 3 boards which will give me more complete control over each board....as well, when I find time and can actually take my equipment out of the car and set it up I am going to work with the levels of the different patches I use....

thanks all...

www.dandechellis.com

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." A. Einstein

The dedicated mixer will help imo.

I've had similar problems running other synths through a workstation synth, because I didn't want to schlep a mixer. The levels are so easy to mess up ... a tweak of one device throws the other out of kilter.

It will also (hopefully) provide some gain for the Nord.

Archived