Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Losing touch

zephonic

I have become aware that when I don't play acoustic piano regularly, I tend to lose "touch", or rather the ability to instinctively produce good sound. It seems as if playing keyboards has gradually eroded my acoustic skills. Anybody else with similar experiences?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I miss a day of practicing or playing and I can feel/hear it.

I miss two days and I suck.

3 or more days and it will take me a week minimum to get back to where I was.

Aside from no work, there's a reason my keyboards (Yamaha CP300, P120,S90) have gone untouched for over a month now.

I'm totally with Dave: There's no substitute for regular practice on the piano. And at the risk to sound impossibly snob, I'll add, a *grand* piano. Even an upright doesn't respond in the same way.

I have many commitments, so I can't practice every day for as long as I should - and my hands feel very frustrated. I try to at least do a bit of technique every day, and as soon as time permit, I do a more in-depth session (improvising, composing, etc.).

I recently came back from a two week vacation and it took me about a week before I felt back to normal.

There is always though that brief period when you return from vacation where for just a few minutes you feel great and can play anything. That doesn't last long and you soon realize you have to practice regularly.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

There is always though that brief period when you return from vacation where for just a few minutes you feel great and can play anything. That doesn't last long...

I've noticed that. Always wondered why that is. :confused:

If I miss a day of practice, I know it.

If I miss 2 days, my crickets know it,

and if I miss 3 days, all the rest of the insects in the audience know it...

...where is that "near quote" from anyway?

Seriously, if I miss a couple of days of practice, my left hand goes to hell, and Righty tries to cover for him by overplaying. I have to remind him that he's really not helping by doing that.

I practice some just about everyday and can't imagine going on a two week vacation without taking a keyboard with me...

Day

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Taking a break from piano (for vacation or whatever) just rejuvenates your 'discovery' mode. Fortunately, it always comes back. I remember Bill Evans once said he hadn't touched a piano in two weeks because he was in the process of moving.

A good acoustic develops and maintains muscles, making keyboards, synths, and organs easy to play - whereas other keyboards won't prepare your technique for piano.

The problem is, you guys are really good and have tons of technique and play professionally- you are all fine surgical instruments that need to be constantly sharpened. When you are a semi-dull cleaver like me, you can take up where you left off practically anytime. But then again, that is why in the hotel after the NAMM dinner I watched you guys play and didn't dare come near the piano!!!! :D

I miss a day of practicing or playing and I can feel/hear it.

I miss two days and I suck.

3 or more days and it will take me a week minimum to get back to where I was.

Aside from no work, there's a reason my keyboards (Yamaha CP300, P120,S90) have gone untouched for over a month now.

I don't put in the hours I used to but because my concentration is more focused, I feel one hour now is equal to 2 hours 20 or 30 years ago.

I try and get in at least 45 minutes- an hour minimum a day. Probably average in the neighborhood of 2.5 hours. Even just a little bit a day works for me has opposed to nothing.

Archived