Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Snow Leopard

zephonic

My perspective probably isn't very interesting because I do nearly zero recording on my Mac. But I use it very heavily in my day job. I'm lucky in that I don't have to interface with "corporate" tools all that much. (MS Exchange, MS Project, etc...)

One of my co-workers is Mr. Bleeding Edge, and he's been on a beta release of Snow Leopard for about a month. He reports no real problems, but I will probably watch him for another month, then look at the support sites of tools I use everyday (VMWare, Thunderbird, Firefox, Adium, NeoOffice) and if I don't see any major reason not to upgrade, I will.

I've been a "computer guy" for a lot of years (I run server farms for startup companies in my day job), and my experience says that a new OS is a Good Thing. A brand-spanking new OS, not so much.

But I suspect that for music-production systems, this is less true. The applications are far less mainstream, which means that stability is harder to come by. So staying a couple of revs back from the latest-greatest is probably wise.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the $9.95 for those of us making recent purchases before 10.6 shipped was mainly a "shipping and handling" fee, so it makes sense to include it as you describe. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Just installed Snow Leopard on my MBP and 2 of my kids MB's. It sure is a lot faster. No doubt about that. The upgrade was really fast too. I haven't tried Logic yet. I'll play with it tomorrow and see if it's any quicker.

Keys: Kurzweil PC3 & PC1se, Nord Electro 2, Roland HP603

Guitars: Strat Plus, Les Paul Std, Martin DC-16RGTE

Amps: Mackie SRM450, Fender Cyber Twin & Studio 85, Traynor Block 12, Boss GT-1

Enjoy it, SK. I'm loving my new MBP and can't wait until the Icy Cat arrives so I can install it.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I was hoping for a picture of a rare member of the cat family.
http://images.apple.com/macosx/images/overview_hero_20090824.jpg

Here's a link to a page that links to several manufacturer's websites statements about compatibility with 10.6.

macmusic.org

I'll going to do the upgrade, in maybe a month or so. It's a cool OS by all accounts, but I'm never first in line for this kind of thing.

I've looked at compatibility lists for applications, and basically everything that's important to me is okay except for Pro Tools. So, I'll be waiting on that, if nothing else.

I took the plunge on Saturday. Upgrade took about an hour on my MacBook Pro. I spent some time with AppUpdater before to make sure I had the latest version of nearly all my apps.

The Good:

- Noticeably snappier than Leopard. The whole system feels more responsive

- Freed up ~20GB of harddisk space (way more than the 7GB Apple claimed it would)

- Lots of little improvements that make sense once you see them.

The Bad:

- System stability has been good doing regular work-like tasks, but I've had some unexpected app quits under heavy load with iMovie and Logic (though not unbearably many).

- There seems to be a MIDI conflict between my MOTU UltraLight and my Novation SL II. If I use my built-in audio the Novation works fine, but when I use the UltraLight it's very easy to get Logic to quit and there are unexpected MIDI events. I haven't been able to diagnose this in detail but if I depended on my Mac for music I'd wait for 10.6.1 and updated drivers.

- My favorite Mail plug-ins haven't been ported yet and I really miss WideMail.

"You'll never be as good as you could have been, but you can always be better than you are." - MoKen

I've been itching to upgrade but Logic 8 and Sibelius are too important to my sanity to take the risk. Once compatibility is worked out, I'm in.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Apple changed the way GB are counted. You didn't gain as much space as you think you did, but I'm sure Apple doesn't mind you thinking so!

Snow Leopard's New Math

So far so good with Logic 8. There is one known issue with some Apple AU plug ins. I don't know if it affects any third party plug ins. I only own one, Ivory, and it's been fine.

Logic Pro/Express 8: Logic may quit unexpectedly when adjusting some Apple Audio Unit plug-ins with Mac OS X v10.6

I received my disc last night in the mail, and took the plunge. It's almost disappointing, as I'm hardly noticing any differences. But that's a good thing. :thu:

Archived