Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Snow Leopard

zephonic

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's heck of cheap, but I'm still jaded about being an early adopter (too many years in tech). That old adage about being on the leading edge, not the bleeding edge. Since nothing's broken with my current rig, I'll probably wait a little bit before I jump.

I'll take the jump. However I don't depend on my Mac for a living!
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I've preordered it because it was only $10 due to when I bought my MacBook Pro (that was the plan). I'm pretty excited by what it should bring.

However, I'll have to monitor some sites and contact some software companies to determine if stuff I use will break. A big one is Logic Pro 8 since I don't plan on getting 9 yet. Ivory and iLok might hold me up as well. Most of the other stuff is pretty minor. Meanwhile, the box will wait patiently (I hope).

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

No need to take the jump for me at the moment. Running Logic 9 on a perfectly good 10.5.7 and don't need to deal with any compatibility issues if I don't have to.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I am sitting comfortably with Tiger and 10.4.11 and have no plans to upgrade anytime soon unless I get a new Mac.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

For Logic users, I understand that Snow Leopard is supposed to..and I say again..supposed to enable Logic to utilize more of the intelmacs processor power...thereby enabling Logic to be much more powerful than what is going on now...

Im using a G5 running LP 7.2.3..OSX 10.4.6 and I run great, but if I do an intel mac, I want to hear from users just what is going to go on with the Snow bump..If I do an intelmac, Im going to go to Logic 9..

of course I'll have to sell a few relatives, mabey 2 or 3 of my tires, my clothes, my furniture...have a garage sell...sell the garage...

I'm also at 10.4.11 but will likely have to take the plunge soon, as I've been waiting to upgrade to Protools 8 (which needs at least Leopard to run).

I'm not an early adopter, as I prefer for the dust to settle and the "fixes" come out. For me, Snow Leopard will be at least one update away.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

^LOL....my thoughts exactly....

On a side note, its interesting to hear from LogicPro users running 10.5.7 /LP9 on an intelmac..from my previous post, I am considering making the jump...Ive contacted most of my plug companies, they all report that their products are running great on 10.5.7 LP9 and that I should have no problems doing the upgrade...

I'm in a bit of a quandary about this. I tend to upgrade, stay on the bleeding edge, all that. That said, I am in the middle of so many projects right now that I'm hesitant for the first time in my computing life.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

That articles is interesting, because it puts Apple in damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't situation. No matter when 10.6 shipped, people were going to be upset with Apple, Presonus, or someone else because 10.6 broke something.

Lots of people are excited 10.6 is "early," (Apple said September, they beat it by a few days, and didn't wait until the end of the month), but of course with millions of users, some would not be happy in any case.

Thanks, I had forgotten about my Firepod, as I haven't done any recording for a while.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

In that thread and others, there's good news on the Presonus front.

[quote=Rick Naqvi

Vice President of Sales]Surprise, folks!

You'll have a beta driver tomorrow that works with Snow Leopard for every one of our firewire devices including the StudioLive Mixer!

The final driver is still scheduled for October but this will allow you to load the new OS as well as use your PreSonus devices. Don't worry PC guys, Windows7 is next...

Woo hoo!!

I always used to be among the first to get new versions of operating systems but since I began using my computer to make a living, I'm far more cautious. Will stick with Leopard for a bit, methinks...

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Looks like Logic 8 may have problems:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2955?viewlocale=en_US

Argh. :(

Here are a couple of pages with more info about various apps.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3258

http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/

Actually, the Presonus newsletter just arrived and said this

We are happy to announce that all of our interfaces are ready for Snow Leopard! The AudioBox, FireBox, Inspire, and FP10 work with Snow Leopard right now, no updates required. And we have just released a public beta of our Universal Control 1.1 control-panel software that makes all FireStudio-series interfaces (including the StudioLive 16.4.2 digital mixer) compatible with the new operating system. The public beta of Universal Control 1.1 is available now here.

All day long, my online order said Not Yet Shipped. Late this afternoon it changed to Shipped Aug 27 via USPS. It's supposed to get here by Sept 1. My list of applications is almost 100% compatible so I may take the plunge when it arrives.

Some printers won't work with Snow Leopard either.

CNET gave it a good review, and sooner or later most applications will fall in line with the 64 bit. I just got Digital Performer - their site says it's compatible, but they're staying 32 bit and will upgrade to 64 later.

So it looks like I'll have two computers now. I'll keep the one I have, the last version of iMac's PowerPC's, and for dedicated recording, I'm getting a new 24" iMac this week. If you buy an iMac now, you can upgrade to Snow Leopard for $9.95 until December.

I guess I'm waiting close to December to upgrade to Snow, when most problems should be ironed out.

SK - if you buy that iMac now, depending on where you get it, it may have 10.6 on it already. If you want to keep it 10.5 for the time being, make sure that's what it ships with.

Also, if it does come with 10.5, I recommend you order the $9.95 10.6 upgrade ASAP. You don't want to forget, and it's a limited time offer. I think the window is 90 days or December, whichever comes first. I'd hate for you to miss it and have to pay the extra $20. :thu:

Thanks Joe. Good advice. Yeah, I'll certainly check which system it is before I buy.

The Apple site said the upgrade will stay $9.95 until December for new iMac buyers. I didn't see where it said 90 days, but I'll check into that. I don't want to lose any compatibility, but with two computers, I'll have some workaround options.

The 32-bit vs 64-bit question does get interesting, either with the Mac or PC. My new test PC has capability of both, I'm using a SATA mobile rack that lets me change hard drives, so I'm building one with XP 32, a drive with Vista 32 (since both are with the machine); and (as a dealer in Microsoft's program) have received the final versions of Windows 7 Pro. I've installed both 32 and 64 bit versions on separate partitions of a 1 TB drive. I've already run into some things that break completely under the 64 bit version. There will be an eMu 1616M added to the computer (when I remove it from this one), and I'll try some DAW and soft synth stuff to see - but its looking like at least 6 months or a year before I'm likely to be able to use the 64bit version most of the time. The quad Opteron proc is solid as a rock running either version. So far the highest load I've been able to put on it is playing a BlueRay DVD, and its not pushing hard enough for the fan to speed up.

BTW, most all the stuff I've tried to install has worked with Vista drivers. A lot of stuff loads if the machine goes online and downloads files from MS. I've been using Windows 7 since the beta release last fall, RC1 since it was released - even the beta never ever crashed on me.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Archived