Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Steinberg rant

zephonic

I've been a Cubase/Nuendo user for many years and although I love the way the software works, some recent troubles have left me infuriated again with Steinberg Europe's appalling lack of after sales support.

Maybe it's just me, but it is all but impossible to get feedback from their staff on the official forum (although there are a few helpful users out there), and filling out a support request form (more than a week ago) has yet to be rewarded with a response.

These are not my first encounters with Steinberg's apparently non-existent support unit. They have frustrated me many times before, and the only decent help I got was 10 years ago when they still had official distribution in Holland, and 2 years ago, when after sales support was briefly subcontracted to a Swedish company (MI7).

From Kenya, I have emailed and made international phone calls to HQ in Hamburg, been put on hold, told I would be called back, then to send emails, which were never replied.

I wouldn't know about Steinberg USA, but if HQ is anything to go by, it is clear to me how Digidesign conquered the professional market.

I want to make prospective customers aware that, although they will buy a generally reliable DAW, they'll find that they will have to rely upon 3rd party expertise when shit hits the fan, and not to expect any help from the company that sold them the product.

disclaimer: As always, of course, YMMV.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And how it should be: I sent an email to Skype yesterday about not being able to "Dock" the latest version of their app. I got a reply today with a possible solution that actually works.

I spend about $10 per week on Skype. I have spent waaay more than that on Steinberg software...

It seems some users have created their own support forum out of similar frustration -

http://www.cubendo.com/

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

It seems some users have created their own support forum out of similar frustration -

http://www.cubendo.com/

Looks exactly like Cubase.net.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Yamaha Montage M7, Nord Electro 6D, Hammond XK1c, Dave Smith PolyEvolver & Rack, Moog Voyager,  Modal Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I'm not sure the nature of your Cubase issue, but if I need help with something, I go to Motifator.com and go to the Steinberg section. Besides the moderator - who is very knowledgeable - there's a very informed and helpful bunch of fellow users who can sort through just about anything.

You might also try Steinbergusers.net. Feel free to PM me if you like and I'll give it a try! - - Pete

You might also try Steinbergusers.net. Feel free to PM me if you like and I'll give it a try! - - Pete

Thanks for that, Pete. Out of exasperation I restored my system from a bootable backup I made a couple of weeks ago, and now things are back to the way they were.

I left Cubase years ago because of arrogant company behavior, and have not looked back.

Good for you. I may join you yet.

I wouldn't know about Steinberg USA, but if HQ is anything to go by, it is clear to me how Digidesign conquered the professional market.
I think Digi conquered that market long before Stenberg was even in it, with a product costing many thousands of dollars, justifying a much bigger support staff.

I think Digi conquered that market long before Stenberg was even in it, with a product costing many thousands of dollars, justifying a much bigger support staff.

And yet I know many great producers who use and love Cubase. One does because he's been with them from day one. He's always raved about it. Personally I've used Cubase a little and found it a decent enough DAW to use; and Cubase 5 looks pretty cool (read the review in last month's Keyb magazine), but I've never had to deal with their support. I'm surprised there isn't a big forum that you can turn to. For Logic, I never need to talk to Apple, I just go to David Nahmani's forum and can get any question answered.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

As I said before, I looove Steinberg's DAWs, but their customer support is a royal fail.

There are forums, and in some cases other users helped me solve a problem, but when they can't, you're left out to dry.

I had missing plug-ins (Cubase's own, not 3rd party), inability to export mp3s, certain projects would open without the VSTi's and these could not be recalled either, and lots more... and that's just Cubase, I haven't even started about HalionPlayer yet.

I solved the problem by reverting to a system backup I made earlier. Lost some stuff, but at least everything works ok now.

To both you and Pete, HalionPlayer works now and loads up its own soundbanks, but refuses to recognize and load additional content from Garritan, Vienna and Scarbee. Any suggestions are welcome.

Again, both Cubase and Nuendo are great DAWs (the best IMO) and I generally run a trouble-free business with them, but for the kind of money that I've spent on Steinberg products throughout the years, I'd expect some assistance when shit goes awry.

Are all your plugin dll's in the right folder? If the installer puts them in the wrong spot, they don't show up in the VST Inst pulldown in Cubase. I've had this happen a couple of times.

I've been using Cubase since it was Pro-24 on an Atari ST.

Used to sync it up to a Fostex R8 using MTC.

I'm constantly amazed at how far these DAWs have come in the last 10-12 years.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Yamaha Montage M7, Nord Electro 6D, Hammond XK1c, Dave Smith PolyEvolver & Rack, Moog Voyager,  Modal Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I have a Mac, no .dll's here :rolleyes:

No, when it happens conventional wisdom dictates that you trash the preferences, but that didn't help this time around.

I started with Cubase 2.0 on an Atari ST as well. I used a Midex to slave it to SMPTE! Anybody still use SMPTE?

Archived