Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm gonna dig out the Pro3tm

Skinny

Yeah, probably dumb, but I still like the real rotary sound of the Pro3tm, even if it has it's shortcomings...

I'm gonna try using my Pro3tm live this weekend - I haven't since summer of 2007. I used to run an OB-3 Squared through it, then I made my life easier and bought a Boss RT-20, now I've got an Electro 2 (and just use the internal Leslie sim).

Sometimes it's fun to dig out the old gear and use it. What the hell.

P.S. I've got a Leslie 125 (that I currently have no way of testing) that I got for $50. It sits in my garage. Wouldn't it be interesting to somehow rig up the Pro3tm with the 125 and have sort of a Franken-Leslie? Obviously it wouldn't sound like a 122, but I bet it'd sound pretty good...

Stuff and things.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Pro3TM gets used every gig. Love it.

Go to GoffProf.com, and you should be able to get the cables to get the 125 up and running.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

What do you send the low rotor sim to? Through an amp? Direct to the PA?

Since I'll no longer be using my KC500, and I have started using in-ears, I'm just going to send the low-rotor sim to the board (I pre-mix myself (all my KBs, and now the Pro3tm & low rotor sim), then send to the main board).

Stuff and things.

Skinnykeys:

How does the Roland RT-20 compare to the Electro's Leslie Simm?

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Skinnykeys:

How does the Roland RT-20 compare to the Electro's Leslie Simm?

Mike T.

The RT-20 actually isn't that bad. I think it sounded pretty good in a live mix. There was a bit of a "digital" sound to it, but I liked how on the fast speed, you could always tell it was on fast. I know that sounds dumb, but some Leslie sims are hard to tell in a live band situation. It seems that sometimes my Electro's sim, on fast speed, sometimes is hard to notice. Of course, I have only recently started to properly set up a monitoring system for myself, so that helps. I also remember that it was easy to overload the RT-20; I remember a few times when it shut off intermittently - I was feeding it too much signal. And the overdrive feature sucked big time.

I think the Electro 2's fast speed isn't quite fast enough, and it sounds slightly "phasey", maybe? But that 'digital' sound is not there. Definitely sounds warmer.

I really want an Electro 3, because I'm pretty sure the Leslie sim is improved, as well as probably everything else. I just got my Electro 2 a year ago, and, whaddya know, they release the Electro 3 shortly after.

I know I'm going on a tangent here, but I'm actually not overly impressed by the rest of the sounds on the Electro 2. I owned a '74 Suitcase Rhodes once (I hope I don't get sued for typing "Rhodes" in a public forum!) and the Electro leaves a lot to be desired IMO. I also recently sold my Wurlitzer 200. The my Electro's Wurli sound is pretty good, but it didn't blow me away.

Every once in a while, I consider trading for an XK-1. But I do use the Wurli sound on my Electro from time to time, and since I sold my 200, I suppose I better not trade the Nord.

But for some reason, I still like the Pro3tm (except for the low-rotor sim). It's a pain in the a$$ to set up for live use, but I still like the way it sounds. So we'll see what happens this weekend...

(sorry for the long post)

Stuff and things.

My Pro3TM gets used every gig. Love it.

Go to GoffProf.com, and you should be able to get the cables to get the 125 up and running.

+1 on Goff. Dave have always given me great support. But I don't think this is going to be a matter of just getting the right cables. This could get a little expensive.

I am not an organ mechanic but I don't think all 125 models had power amplifiers. You need to know what kind of 125 leslie you have. You will need some way to send both B+ and the audio signal to the leslie. I think you are going to need a combo preamp for this, depending on whether the 125 has an amplifier or not. That is going to cost a lot more than what you paid from the leslie.

You might be able to rig up something where you power the audio with a guitar tube amp and build a some way of controling the motor speed.

But I am not a mechanic so you need to consult a real tech. I can oil a leslie and I can replace a bad diaphragm but other than that I have real techs work on my stuff.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

There is a schematic available for the Leslie 125.

http://www.captain-foldback.com/Leslie_sub/Leslie_schematics/125.GIF

Same site also has owner's manual in jpg format.

According to owner's manual - that model could be purchased with or without amplifier. Has a single 12" speaker, the amplifier was 20 watt. There were kits to connect to various organs, the 27-1 adapter fit the M, M2, M3, L100, M100, E100, K100

Best I can figure, the speed relay is 110vac, like a 145 Leslie. The owner's manual has schematics of the various "kits" for hookup to various brands and models of organs. Should not require B+ like the 122 Leslies.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Why don't I like the Pro3tm's low rotor sim? I can't say exactly, it just doesn't sound authentic. It just sounds weird to me.

Regarding my Leslie 125, it does have an amplifier. I remember seeing a Youtube video of a Pro3x with a Leslie 110, and it sounds pretty good. I'd like to do the same with my Pro3tm/Leslie 125. A while back I e-mailed Speakeasy and it sounds like they could help me rig this up.

Stuff and things.

The leslie 125 has an amp and a 12 inch speaker feeding a lower rotor. This was my very first leslie. The hookup is interchangeable with a 145/147. In combination with a top rotor like the Pro3TM I think you could have a pretty nice rig as long as you could keep the relative volumes balanced.

It helps if you run the low rotor sim in stereo. That way you get the impression of movement. I run the low sim into my small PA in stereo, and run the mike for the horn into another channel. The result, while not exactly like a full Leslie, is very much like what would be going to FOH from a miked 147.

Or get a LowPro to go along with it. Then you get an actual rotating drum.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

It helps if you run the low rotor sim in stereo. That way you get the impression of movement. I run the low sim into my small PA in stereo, and run the mike for the horn into another channel. The result, while not exactly like a full Leslie, is very much like what would be going to FOH from a miked 147.

Or get a LowPro to go along with it. Then you get an actual rotating drum.

I suppose for the cost of a LoPro (if I could even find one), I could have my 125 modified with a real Leslie horn instead. I know Speakeasy used to do this before they built their own rotary speakers.

Something I just thought of, Speakeasy's single-rotor units (with a horn and a stationary sub) seem to get rave reviews - If nobody misses the low rotor on those, I wonder if I could just turn the pot inside my Pro3tm that controls the low sim speed all the way off. Maybe I'll experiment with that tonight.

Stuff and things.

Archived