Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Music is universal!

Bluesape

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep. As much as I can't stand Bobby for what he did to us in the 80's, he just completely knocked it out of the park as far as how conditioned we are to the pentatonic scale.

It's become part of everyone's DNA, almost, because it's been fed to us virtually non-stop for three generations (jazz, R&B, rock'n'roll, and all the current variations)

Yep. As much as I can't stand Bobby for what he did to us in the 80's, he just completely knocked it out of the park as far as how conditioned we are to the pentatonic scale.

It's become part of everyone's DNA, almost, because it's been fed to us virtually non-stop for three generations (jazz, R&B, rock'n'roll, and all the current variations)

I recall reading somewhere years ago that some very ancient chimes that were sort of like tuning-forks had been dug up in China, and that they followed a pentatonic scale...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Saw this previously; it is very cool !

Also check out the other 2 McFerrin vids there, as well as some of the other, more esoteric clips.

My fave part is that in the list the description is "Bobby McFerrin Demons..." :eek:

d=halfnote

I love the pentatonic scale, it is easy to play in every key, it has most of the sounds I like, and it simply works great against almost any set of changes. I opted never to learn arpeggios on guitar although I use them a lot on keyboard for recording and I never missed them at all. I do alter my use of the full 8 note scale in whatever mode I am working in using the pentatonic. I may add some notes in scale or out but generally I use the pentatonic in varied modes most of the time.

That was very interesting. I think more than anything else it speaks to our commonality as human beings. I like at the end when he says that anywhere he goes people can follow it. Maybe music is the tool we need to use to get people to look past all the prejudice in the world - exept for metal, metal still sucks.

Just kidding

Ask not what your guitar can do for you, rather ask you can do for your guitar without provoking a divorce or a visit from the police.

- with profound apologies to JFK

You can't kill the metal

The metal will live on

Punk-Rock tried to kill the metal

But they failed, as they were smite to the ground

New-wave tried to kill the metal

But they failed, as they were stricken down to the ground

Grunge tried to kill the metal Ha,hahahahaha

They failed, as they were thrown to the ground

No-one can destroy the metal

The metal will strike you down with a vicious blow

We are the vanquished foes of the metal

We tried to win for why we do not know

New-wave tried to destroy the metal, but the metal had its way

Grunge then tried to dethrone the metal, but metal was in the way

Punk-rock tried to destroy the metal, but metal was much too strong

Techno tried to defile the metal, but techno was proven wrong

Yea!

-Tenacious D - The Metal \m/

I Am But A Solution In Search Of A Problem.

Archived