Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT hypersonic sound

Dave Horne

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very insteresting concept ... I still didn't hear anything when he pointed the device towards the camera ... and I even had my hearing aids in Dave!

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

I have heard about this. My understanding is that he uses an ultrasonic (above 20KHz) as a carrier and then modifies it so that the sound is created by phase amplification out in front at select distances. "Hypersonic" properly refers to travelling at better than Mach 5 (5 times the speed of sound which is about 760 mph at sea level at 30 inches of mercury barometric pressure near 70 degrees F.) What is being manipulated here is the frequency spectrum not the speed of wave propagation.

He needs to sell that to Marshall so that it can be focussed just on the Guitar player.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

This is quite fantastic. Wouldn't it be cool if one could design a speaker system which places sound under computer/midi/ADSR/LFO control? A kind of space age Leslie ... ?

Hadn't thought of that - you could put each audience member's head INSIDE the leslie. Add a strobe light and see how long it taks for them to get sick and hurl.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

you could put each audience member's head INSIDE the leslie.

I have a vague memory of hearing that some band in the 80s (wanna say Rush, but I wouldn't swear to it) did something close to that on a tour. They had speaker banks surrounding the audience, and the mix would move in a circle around them. Don't remember hearing whether any hurling resulted.

This is definitely not new technology. I saw this same thing demonstrated at an AES (Audio Engineering Society) convention more than a decade ago (can't remember the exact year, or the institution demonstrating). Maybe it's just a bit more refined/commercially viable now. Major problems with bass response, however (inherent in the technique used to make the invention happen) - there essentially is no bass. Probably best suited to lower-fidelity applications in general. Plus, you have to (or had to, back then) use very high powered ultrasound to get decent volume in the audible band - there was some concern about safety as a result. (What if you're pointing this incredibly high-powered ultrasound at your ear, and it inadvertently creates some sum/difference tones in the audible region at really high volume? Also, hair and clothing tend to absorb ultrasonic energy pretty well - might be an issue if you pounded this straight at your head/clothes from close range for long enough... but this is all speculation.)

Anyway, the guy is a good talker, though it seems to me like he's having some success commercializing/tweaking this technology rather than having actually "invented" it.

C.

I have a vague memory of hearing that some band in the 80s (wanna say Rush, but I wouldn't swear to it) did something close to that on a tour. They had speaker banks surrounding the audience, and the mix would move in a circle around them. Don't remember hearing whether any hurling resulted.

If you have speaker banks SURROUNDING the audience, you can just pan the sound to different speakers & it will change its apparent point of origin - pretty simple.

Alternatively, you can "steer" sound via an array of normal speakers positioned in front of an audience - still no need for any fancy-schmancy ultrasound business. Yamaha has even commercialized such a "linear array" speaker into "virtual surround sound" for home theatre - see here.

C.

Archived