Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Paul McCartney on Letterman

RalphM

I surf YouTube so that you don't have to...

Live music performances:

Get Back & Sing The Changes (from new album)

Back in the USSR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40wbiDgZPQQ

Let Me Roll It

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKn2j2N5Hcw

Band On The Run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQUapVeyweA

Helter Skelter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4WoTOX8Lt4

Coming Up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L66Ce4dM8Fw

Interview with Letterman

Interview: part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTNHD7lDX2U

Interview part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2-S0SoP9GI

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched the show and was a bit disappointed. I got the impression Macca didn't really want to be there. Letterman didn't help things with his line of questioning. He asked super lame, generic Beatles questions ("So, how did you guys get along with Ringo?"). I don't think he asked him anything b=about any of his recent music or his current tour.

The performance was fine but I wish they would have performed inside the theater instead of outside on the marquee. I thought the audio suffered, particularly on the new tune they performed to end the show.

It was a bit of a letdown. Maybe I was expecting too much (especially of Letterman's interview skills for someone like Macca).

EDIT - Hey I just saw that all of those videos were from the street performance. Nice to see he did more than two songs for the folks who came out to see it. Way cool on Macca's part.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

I actually got the feeling from watching the interview that Letterman was starstruck. But then Paul started the interview saying "I don't like the show". You could tell he was joking, but there seemed to be some tension from that point on.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

I agree with some that the interview was sort of lame. Paul has a very dry sense of humor and people not accustomed to him can't tell when he's joking. Letterman is not a great interviewer either.

I liked the performances and I thought that playing outside, on top of the marquee was a great gimmick - reminiscent of the rooftop performance featured in the film 'Let it be'.

Regardless of his talent or sense of humor the man is an icon and looks and sounds great for pushing 70.

I heard my first Beatles record (Revolver I believe) as a very young boy and it instantly changed how I felt about music.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Regardless of his talent or sense of humor the man is an icon and looks and sounds great for pushing 70...
67, in fact. When that fact struck me I suddenly thought I should check out vegetarianism - seriously! OK, he dyes his hair, but he's still slender and vigorous like a man half his age. Hmmm...

67, in fact

...and still sings the original songs in the original keys(!).

...and is still writing and performing - his latest album is very nice.

...and when he performs he plays for like, three hours straight, does everything you ever wanted to hear, they nail every sound, nuance, effect, etc. The band behind him is 'monstrous' as well.

If you've never seen him live, you need to put it on your list of 'to dos'.

Sir Paul at the Quebec's 400th Anniversary celebrations in 2008 - one of the best outdoor show I've ever seen...

EDIT: O/T, Summer Festival in progress here, actually it ends tonight. Last night, Sting, same outdoor scene, 100,000 souls...

Out of idle curiosity, does anyone know if the Hofner PM plays is THE Hofner, the one he played with the Beatles? I'd be surprised if he still took that one out on tour...

This is the second Hofner which was the one he has used since 1963. He had it refinished and the pickguard removed in 1966. I believe he also had some pretty extensive work done on it in the 90s. It had some pretty significant neck/intonation problems at the time, IIRC.

I wish he would break his Rickenbacker back out. That bass has the sound I most associate with his playing.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

...I wish he would break his Rickenbacker back out. That bass has the sound I most associate with his playing.
+1. I didn't even notice the bass tones on early Beatles records, and then "Rain" and "Paperback Writer" came along. I'd go so far as to say Macca's Ric tones were the ones that haunted my dreams until I discovered that my musical "home" was actually the electric bass, many years later. No g****r has the cojones a bass has, no matter how many distortion boxes you put on it. My $00.075 (adjusted for inflation).

I've never been as awed by him or the Beatles as some but I can't help but admit he's a solid musician and a solid performer and I really respect that.

Joshua, you are the king of understatement. I heard he wrote a couple decent songs too. :freak:

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't realize Macca was playing Fenway this past Wednesday and Thursday. I made the mistake of trying to go to Guitar Center (it's right next to one of the park gates) for a few things and spent a couple hours Wednesday afternoon in 90 degree heat with about 400% humidity wading through crowds to get there and back durring a 19-song soundcheck.

What was crazier was when I left the house I think around 9ish to meet the gf after work and distinctly heard Let It Be in the distance.

I live about 1.5-2 miles from Fenway. That was a loud-ass concert.

I've never been as awed by him or the Beatles as some but I can't help but admit he's a solid musician and a solid performer and I really respect that.

Joshua, you are the king of understatement. I heard he wrote a couple decent songs too. :freak:

Sorry dude, it's just not my territory. I respect him but I've never gotten crazy about him or his cohorts the way a lot of people have. My bad.

I wish he would break his Rickenbacker back out. That bass has the sound I most associate with his playing.

You can probably tell from the prior discussion that I don't follow Macca very closely. However I am pretty sure I have read that he whipped that bass out a few times in the early 2000s. Nowadays I guess it's sanded down, rather than looking like an acid trip.

Archived