Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is it true? Is Michael Jackson dead?

Davo-London

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OH my God, Agence France Presse is reporting that TMZ is saying he's dead.

I really hope this is wrong.

I was thinking about seeing his opening show on July 13...I can't believe it. What a shame if true.

He was an 'odd' guy with a lot of circumstantial evidence against him but never convicted of anything.

God I hope it's not true.

TMZ is just a celebrity news rag but they have a lot of credibility for breaking a lot of scoops in the celebrity market.

You can get tix for his shows in, say, September for unbelievable prices - I saw Row C front section for just over 100 pounds. I can't believe this. You could get in the building for July 13 opening night for about 150 pounds.

Glad I didn't buy them right away. I sure hope this is false somehow. I was so excited to go see him.

He never did anything for Gary, which is a hugely economically depressed town. Probably the poorest city over 100,000 people in the US. They even asked him to come back to do ANYTHING, but he refused.

A lot of Garyians were not happy about that, but when he was acquitted of child molestation I never met one person who didn't support the decision and MJ, even though it seems 99 percent of people elsewhere, biased as hell by media reporting, were sure he was guilty.

I was hearing the extended Off the Wall recently - some of the bonus tracks he recorded with just Jermaine and Janet show what a genius he was. I couldn't believe he was doing so many shows in London - thought it was too good to be true....

That's crazy man, only 50. He was reportedly training with Lou 'the Hulk' Ferrigno, passed a 4.5 hour insurance physical to get his shows ensured...crazy.

Wonder if he was on drugs...he let so many people down over the years about tours...I would not be surprised if he killed himself with a drug overdose. TMZ said cardiac arrest.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2009/06/in-memorium-michael-jackson-dead-at-50.html

Billie Jean at the Motown 25 Live show - what planet was he from?

Thriller was the first album I ever bought. Cost me $7 - I wonder where I got the money from...I was maybe 7 years old. This was on vinyl too.

James Brown said when it came to dancing rhythm, Prince had what JB had, but MJ had the precision. I'd say MJ was even more precise.

The thing that always got me about MJ was how shreddingly awesome his voice was. He could go high falsetto, he had awesome technique but he could absolutely shred a growl as good as anyone and I always thought he never got enough credit for that. But they just don't make them like that anymore, sadly.

It is really the end of an era of music - who else has that link to the golden era of the 60s and 70s? Besides Tom Jones.

He was only 50.

"And then "Dangerous" was knocked out of its No. 1 spot on the album charts by Nirvana's "Nevermind," an occurrence noted for its symbolism by rock critics."

So that's where the wrong turn happened....

To be more a master of the obvious...his voice on the Jackson 5 stuff just defies explanation for its depth and mastery.

There's a million classical child prodigies but you aren't supposed to be able to master blues or soul that early because it's not technical or mathematical - you have to imbibe the nuanced language and that takes years. But he did it.

I've been working on the story for the past couple of hours. There's quite the crowd gathered ourside the UCLA medical center.

Tragic news about a genuinely talented performer, despite his personal demons.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

NBC nightly news confirmed it. Wow, just a little less than a year younger than me. F'n weird. Despite all his mental problems he was first and foremost a great talent and a monster performer. The world will miss him.

RIP MJ.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

I remember when the Jackson 5 first hit the radio in the 60's, with 'Little Michael Jackson' fronting the band. He had incredible talent from an early age and just got better with time.

RIP Michael.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Most shocking music death since Lennon. Got Thriller on this morning.

Tenderoni you've got to be.

OMG, I just posted that as a joke - here's the wikipedia definition - dates from the 70s:

Tenderoni is a slang terminology which refers to a younger male or female love interest or someone too young to talk to or become involved with. It is composed of "tender", which is a synonym for young and "roni" which usually serves as an affectionate diminutive towards a male or female. It denotes your younger sweetheart, your younger better half, your younger boyfriend/girlfriend, and more recently used as an alternate word for jailbait.

He liked living this way, he liked loving this way - tell 'em that it's human nature.

Boy oh boy.... he could sure sing.

No, No, No; You need to start off with, "Michael was playing on the roof with a ball and fell off, but he's OK..." :rimshot:

I preferred his work with te JAckson 5, which gave us all some great grooves, but I know that Off the Wall and Thriller

really made him a start, nad for better or worse in fluenced pop music in a lasting way.

I think it was 1985 when MJ had at least 6 songs in the top 20, and the "Summer Hits all the Time" radio station at work had them in heavy rotation.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

He had the world several times over, and wasted everything, god given talent included. "Oh, poor me...." I never got it.

I want to say so much more but our of respect for the people that posted above, I'll hold back. One thing I will say though, at least maybe now his kids will have a shot at a normal life.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Archived