Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Hiromi video

Jazz+

Cute...heavy Oscar Peterson influences. Check out the funky bass solo starting at 2:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB5LEzcGgNo

I see she has a new trio album with Stanley Clark and Lenny White, you can see a video and hear the clips at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Garden-Stanley-Clarke-Trio/dp/B001VFM0QU

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another new one, the lady can solo... check the effortless two handed work at 5:45

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

ahh.. wish I had more time.. but was at Hell for a few days on a course then only had 3 hours in the city before heading back to Oslo... great place... really enjoyed the pub on the bridge at the river...

something like Naboen.. Da Na blah blah... ;-)

Did you have time for the Trondheim hammer dance?

Zees vos zer Trondheim Hammer Donce, vich ees herrd every tventy-five minutes in the town of Trondheim, in vich zee old ladies are stuck around zer head veeth round stick, or KNURTEL.
It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

haha... I did actually see some old people dancing in the town centre... it was really charming for me.. but I don't recall anyone being struck around the head...

PS. Sorry for thread Hijack!

PPS. Hiromi sounds great on the videos and also the Stanley Clarke CD... different mellow sound on the Clarke have to say...

The tracks on the Stanley Clarke CD and the solo video at the top of this page are the best I've heard of her. Very talented, just a slight bit immature and very busy. And that's fine! She may have as many chops as Oscar Peterson - maybe more.

When I was starting out playing jazz, I played a lot of notes. An older sax player on a break told me, "It's Ok though... you're on a honeymoon with your instrument." So Hiromi's on a honeymoon with her instrument.

hehe.. I heard a lot of "forte" in her first video but a lot of mellowness in the second... I don't think its a matter her maturity as much as what the record company demands at this stage....

I for one get tired of the f-fff stuff.. but then again its kind of standard in that style of jazz...

Yeah, we're just talking about different things, orangefunk. I meant musical maturity.

I can't see her becoming a better 'pianist' technically, but I think she'll mature more and grow into an even better musician over time. Just saying, even with her success, she likely hasn't reached her musical peak yet.

Yeah, we're just talking about different things, orangefunk. I meant musical maturity.

I can't see her becoming a better 'pianist' technically, but I think she'll mature more and grow into an even better musician over time. Just saying, even with her success, she likely hasn't reached her musical peak yet.

I guess I'm thinking she hasn't much scope to do exactly what she wants at this juncture... so what we here isn't really the whole picture. I can imagine a lot of suits at the record companies are involved and they want her to do the high octane material..

I did quite like some of the material on Brain though.. esp when played live in her trio... it reminded me a lot of the 70s/80s ECM heyday...

But yep, its all gonna get better now from her I think..

Another new one, the lady can solo... check the effortless two handed work at 5:45

Now I really dig this one. For some reason I dig this drummer and guitar player over who she was using on the CD. Just can't get with Martin V. And the Fuze. I always liked Tony Grey On bass.

MY Toys - Kurzweil PC1X, Roland A-90, Yamaha KX88, Yamaha CS1x, Novation 49SL MkII, Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2, JBL PRX615M

My Music Page

Archived