Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gear Stolen - need replacement quick - What to buy?!

daBowsa

My stuff got jacked. Argh.

I was touring with a Nord Electro 2 73 and an Alesis Micron. They were insured on the band's policy, but we have gigs tonight and tomorrow in NYC.

Since I've been on the road full time, I have NOT been keeping up with new stuff coming out. Is there anything I need to know about before driving around to various area music stores looking for an Electro and 2nd synth?

New Electros? Stage? Other offerings? HELP!

Thanks,

-Ben .

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Electro 3, like Tom said (since you were using a Nord), Maybe instead of another Alesis, look at a Kurzweil PC3?? http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PC3/

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Aw crap :(. Sorry to hear that.

As for the Micron, a Korg R3 might replace that nicely. Patch selection's loads easier, too :)

@Moody : the Micron's a virtual analog bass/lead synth and pretty compact, the PC3 isn't ;).

Thanks guys - went to a Sam Ash which did not have any Clavia. Bought a used trumpet, so still need keys and a guitar.

Heading into the city now to hit up stores downtown.

Was looking at the R3, X50, and SonicCell as options instead of the Micron. I love the Micron's form factor, for sure, but was sort of hoping to replace with a ROMpler since I use it for leads, but also strings, flutes, and orchestra hits.

I thought I was *done* shopping for gear!

Having gear stolen is a really weird feeling. My SY99 and PC88 were lifted that way.

Your loss is unfortunate. Hope everything works out in getting replacement gear that you really want instead of being pressured to buy quickly. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I know the feeling. I had a Korg M1, Hammond XB-2, a pair of Peavey 3-way cabs, and assorted small stuff stolen many years ago, and had to replace fast. My thought at the time was to find a replacement that would make the transition as easy as possible, while upgrading. At the time, the Korg N364 had just come out, so I went with that.

I really know very little about Nord, but following my rationale, going to the Nord 3 would probably be your best bet. Shorter learning curve, and updated sounds. You don't want to have to spend all your time between getting the replacements and the next gig learning how to get the sounds you need, and then have to worry about stumbling around finding the sounds in performance.

As bad as getting your gear stolen is, since you're insured, look at it as a way to upgrade

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Thanks for the advice everyone - its great to be back, if only for a fleeting moment!

I ended up with an Electro 3, but only the 61 key version. I think this will work out because I'd actually been contemplating getting a nice road case (I previously had a ProTech rigid, but not wood, case for the 73) and was thinking the 61 would be a bit more portable.

I'm rarely doing splits, and not playing any piano other than basic lines and comping - no full range stuff.

So I just ordered one of these - I wasn't aware that these existed, so I'll try and put up a report when it comes in.

http://images.miretail.com/products/optionlarge/Nord/540679jpg.jpg

I also stayed with the Micron- picked up a display model with no box for $299. Didn't really have time to find and evaluate all the smaller boards that are out there, and for that price, what the Micron does, and how solid it feels, and the controller options, it is really a no brainer for me. I'm still trying to figure out a case for this guy, since I don't have time to rebuild my custom Micron/Trumpet/Pedalboard case.

I guess I'm going to rebuy the Yamaha FC-7 and M-Audio SP-2 unless anyone can convince me otherwise. Maybe one of the Roland DP series or Boss FS?

Would the half-damper Roland's with stereo 1/4" work in the Electro's mono input? My long-term use complaints on the SP-2 is that every-once-in-a-while it'll miss (or double hit) the leslie speed switch.

My long-term use complaint with the FC-7 is the pedal coming detached from the base once every few weeks, requiring me to play with that little bracket that keeps the whole thing together.

Uhh...is that a joke?

• Nord NHC 61 Keyboard Case.
  • Fits all 61 key Nord keyboards.
  • Built In wheels for easy transport.
  • Extra Pocket for pedal or cable storage.

What am I missing? The dimensions of 2 vs 3 seems very close. Like, within 1/4" on all sides.

Archived