Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yanni

RodWichita

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/fail-owned-cd-placement-fail.jpg

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

My intent in reviving this thread was only to post the FAIL. Nothing more. :)

P.S. Max, if a successful performer wants to fart cash at me, that's fine. Then they'd finally have a use in my book.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Here in the deep south we pronounce his name Yawni.

...seems kind of appropriate...

Hey, he provides employment for some great players. I'll bet they are well compensated too...

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Over here in Europe, Yanni is nobody. Noone ever heard about him - he's never been on the charts or on tv (like, I'll add, about 90% of US performers regardless of genre). I am only under the impression, based on hearsay, that he does some Enya-like edulcorated and sweetened keyboard mystics, am I right? And he's greek, like Vangelis, correct? I'm too lazy even to YouTube him.
Max Ventura, Italy.

Funny about John Tesh, his first output was pretty okay (Tour De France/Garden City).. some nice sounds, programming and a fair bit of jazz fusion influence...even if now it sounds a bit twee... but by the 90s he really was in that Yanni/Boney James product line approach to music creation...

I actually saw him in '95 with the guitarist in my band. It was a darn good concert and his band and the small orchestra were excellent. Not all the music was my cup of tea but professionally executed with flair and some interesting time sig twists and jazz harmonies kept things spicy. I prefer Mr. Tesh to Yanni.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

• 4 weeks later...

I've always liked Yanni's music, actually.

*ducks*

Early on, I was very impressed with his work, until I watched him perform and realized he's more of a composer than anything. To just label him as a "keyboard player?"

He's got keyboard players, and usually, they are better than he is. Kudos to him for composing and arranging, but the real bread and butter is in his ensemble, if you ask me.

And that is funny what someone said about his stage presence - kinda seems like just an audience member jamming out sometimes!

Archived