Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moderator spam: LA forumites - Police Cars gig

Dave Bryce

Who'd you get to sing lead on Police dB? That's not an easy task!

The band is the brainchild of the lead singer...the guy's name is Tedi Sarafian, and he totally kills the Sting stuff. That's pretty much the main reason he put the band together - he loves singing Police tunes, and he's really good at it...and he's an excellent guitar player to boot. His main gig is screenwriter - he wrote the screenplay for T3 and 80's cult film classic Tank Girl, among other things.

Oh yeah... I'd put I Want You To Want Me last in your encores. Surrender's a great song but not as well known.

Really? Funny - I tend to thing Surrender is the better known tune...go figure...

Tedi's the one who'll be calling out which ones we do - the encore list is really just a guideline.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man I'd go see anyone sing if he wrote Tank Girl! If he can actually pull Sting off that would be a bonus in my book.

I Want You To Want Me is more well known if the age group is diversified. For those of us who were around back then they're both kickin' tunes.

Oh yeah... I'd put I Want You To Want Me last in your encores. Surrender's a great song but not as well known.

Really? Funny - I tend to thing Surrender is the better known tune...go figure...

I think Surrender was probably originally more well known, but for whatever reason, the live version of "I Want You to Want Me" from the 80's really took off, and I think has had more staying power. I think I would have to agree with it being a better finale.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

When was the last time you as a keyboard player and sideman got the most love from the audience by far than any of the other band members?

When was the last time that young, beautiful, sexy, perfect Hollywood ladies who you've never met before were dancing madly and screaming for you?

There are many great bands in L.A., and many lame ones, and many good ones for whom the audience doesn't get a Rip. Los Angeles audiences can be infamously indifferent (because many of them go see a show because it's the cool thing to do, not because they actually dig the music). But dB's band last night was utterly SLAMMING, and the audience couldn't get enough.

I rolled in unfortunately 3/4 through the set; fashionably way late. When I did, I saw dB working the stage and the audience like a true rockstar. The sound at the Viper room was expertly dialed in. Everything was nice and loud but not ear blisteringly loud, and you could feel John Ferraro's kick drum through the subs in the floor. Everyone's gear was way sexy too, not the least of which was dB's Poly Evolver on top of a Kurzweil PC3, which he was working like the moderator of a keyboard forum should!

Again though, the drummer was beyond slamming. Bissonette killed it on bass. The lead singer was a good looking dude who looked like he could pull any chick in any situation. But all the love was going to dB who was owning it! Between tunes, the crowd started heckling loudly, shouting 'KEYBOARD SOLO, KEYBOARD SOLO!' and not just for a minute like 'oh that's cute, they must know him', but on and on to the point where it may have been embarrassing for dB. But it wasn't embarrassing for dB, because he's dB and he looked at the group and then dialed up some gnarly amazing synth patch on his Evolver and satisfied their demand with an amazing riff which ended up leading into the next song.

At the end of the night when they were out of songs to play but the audience was demanding MORE MORE MORE, they had to pull out the emergency reserves and so kicked into an unrehearsed 'Every Breath You Take', which sounded phenomenal. Then, after the curtain dropped, and dB made an appearance 4 minutes later, the same rabble of fans that had been cheering for dB shouted 'KEYBOARDS KEYBOARDS, YEAH', and were thronging around the man like some celeb. When I made my way to the front of the line, I said, 'dB, who are these people? Your homies?'. And he responded, 'I haven't seen any of the people before in my life'.

Freaking great.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

First of all - thanks to Bobby for coming out - always great to see you, brother! :cool::wave:

The gig was fabulous. The Viper Room is an excellent venue, and the sound guys had their total shit together - the room sounded killer, onstage mix was superb, etc.

it wasn't embarrassing for dB, because he's dB and he looked at the group and then dialed up some gnarly amazing synth patch on his Evolver and satisfied their demand with an amazing riff which ended up leading into the next song.

Heh...that was just the beginning of Synchronicity II - it's supposed to do that. ;)

The thing with the guys screaming keyboard solo and jumping on me after the set was hysterical. My wife came down with a bunch of her friends, and I had some other MI types there - all of them thought the people screaming for me were KC members. :D

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

You must have been putting on quite a show dB. And judging from the crowd's response at least you weren't buried in the mix!

Sorry - common occurrence with keyboards in a one-shot show.

Would have loved to have been there. Sometimes it sucks living in the PNW.

What did you use for keyboard monitors? Just IEM or anything on stage?

I love the name "Cheap Police Cars"!!

Sorry, couldn't alter my plans!! Please lettuce know when you are playing again. You are welcome to email me if you have a list going. Sounds like a blast, and I regret not being able to go!!!!

I tried to get out of my plans, but it's difficult since they were made a couple of weeks ago...and involved me being paid!!! :D

I tried to get out of my plans, but it's difficult since they were made a couple of weeks ago...and involved me being paid!!! :D

The funny thing is where I was standing, there was this tall asian dude who looked A LOT like KenElevenShadows in front of me. He was part of the crew shouting 'keyboard solo'. I kept glancing at the dude without trying to be creepy. It was like 80% Ken but I knew it wasn't the guy.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

You could add some other bands:

Cheap Police Cars Clash

Cheap Police Cars Doors Clash

Cheap Deep Purple Police Cars Doors Clash

Cheap Deep Purple Kansas Police Cars Doors Clash

Cheap Deep Purple Orleans Kansas Police Cars Doors Clash

Cheap Deep Purple Orleans Kansas Police Cars Doors Clash on a Green Day Journey

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Nine Inch Nails and the Buzzcocks?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

The funny thing is where I was standing, there was this tall asian dude who looked A LOT like KenElevenShadows in front of me. He was part of the crew shouting 'keyboard solo'. I kept glancing at the dude without trying to be creepy. It was like 80% Ken but I knew it wasn't the guy.

We all pretty much look alike! ;)

Naw, I *wish* I were there!!!!!

We all pretty much look alike! ;)

Keyboard Corner forum members?

We are a pretty good looking bunch! ;)

A lot of us seem to be fairly tall.

And yes, insanely good looking.

Archived