Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your dream rig?

SMcD

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I realize that I'm "bucking the hypo" here, but if I were "dreaming," I would dream of SKILLS long before I would dream of GEAR. Tons of money can buy me tons of Moogs, Rhodes, Clavs, Wurlis, Hammonds, Steinways, etc., but it can't buy me the ability to play like Garth Hudson, Chuck Leavell, Ben Folds, Bill Payne, Jon Lord, or others of my keyboard heroes. If I could dream my way into those kinds of skills, however, I sure as heck would! :thu:

Noah

+1

I would say more chops and less gear, but money can't buy my chops

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Dream Rig ?

My Dream Rig, it took a long time to get there. Follow the link and click on Galleries for photos. The website was made to show the Creamware ASB custom build I did but has photo's of the complete Rig.

Korg Oasys 76

GEM Promega 3

Roland G70

Moog Voyager

Creamware MINImax ASB

Roland PK5, controlling Yamaha CS1X

Kurzweil K2000

For my band, I'd ideally like this, if I had the roadies to move it, the on-call techs to keep it running, and the money to pay for it all:

Hammond B3 + Leslie

Minimoog Voyager on the B3

To the right of the B3, a Rhodes with a Clav, with some sweet stompboxes and a tape echo.

To the right of the Rhodes, a good controller/laptop setup.

Maybe an ARP 2600 to round the whole thing out, or maybe a full MOTM modular setup.

The more realistic rig I might actually be able to get and gig with:

Hammond XK3 or Nord C2: Since I do LH bass in this band, I kind of need the dual manual setup.

To the right of that, a Nord E3 or Kurz PC3 primarily for EPs, and a controller/laptop setup.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I'm pretty much happy with my rig as it stands today....

Yamaha CP300

RD700SX

Motif ES Rack Unit

Novation X-Station

Stereo PA amplication system

It's a little on the heavy side ... but definitely a functional gig rig. The only thing I wouldn't mind adding is one of them there new Roland AX7 keytar thingys!

The SpaceNorman :freak:

This is mine currently, although I'm experimenting with other options besides the Voyager. Behind the organ bench is a Yorkville subwoofer being fed by the Leslie 3300 (which sits on top) and a Yorkville NX550p powered monitor for the Motif and Moog.

Yeah baby.

http://www.organissimo.org/pub/studio/100_1195.jpg

I wish some manufacturer would build a light-weight hammer action controller with built-in audio I/O. That way you could connect to your laptop with a single USB cable and obliterate the need for a dedicated audio interface. I would love to gig with something like Ivory if such a board was made.

I understand that CME actually build this but it's hardly light-weight and I hear horrendous reliabilty stories.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

I don't really have a dream rig. I guess if I had stage space and roadies the old school B3/grand piano/Rhodes/synth rig would be cool. Even then- it's so much easier to play organ with one hand and bang out piano parts with the other when the boards are stacked up.

I'd like to update my Electro 2 with an Electro 3 but right now can't spend the $$. I'm happy with my S90ES and Nord Lead 2 for my other sounds, and I just got a pair of stage monitors to run in stereo. What else do you need when everything you have does what you ask it to do?

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

In the current line-up of hardware keys (and assuming I have a roadie and a crew to keep it all straight!):

- Nord Stage EX 88 (pianos, electric & acoustic)

- Nord Electro3 61 (single-manual C1)

- Nord Modular G2X (great perf. synth, weirdness)

- Nord Lead 2X (solid stock polysynth) with Boss pedal array

- Moog Voyager (because why not?)

- Virus TI2 (arps & effects)

- Korg Electribe MX1 (e-drums & arps)

- Sonic Core Prodyssey (Odyssey clone) controlled with mini-key controller

- Dave Smith Prophet '08 (uh, it's a Prophet)

- 16-channel mixer

- Speakeasy Preamp

- Mackie SRM450 speakers (four - surround-sound!), elevated

- Custom keyboard "stand" (fortress, really) made from Gibraltar drum hardware

- Crane (to lower me into this unnecessary keys behemoth)

- Time to play all this stuff

With Roadies:

Yamaha C7 Grand

Hammond B3 with leslie 122

Fender Rhodes MK1 with fender twin reverb (and accompanying effects pedals)

Hohner D6 clavinet w/ wah and tube screamer with nice vintage tube amp

Minimoog Voyager

Yamaha CS80

Apple Macbook Pro with whatever else I need

Nice 61 controller

Oh, and some people to fix all of that vintage stuff if/when it breaks

Can we get 2 of these, to go please?

It's nice to dream :)

My current rig is rhodes mark II + xk1 on top, with a side of yamaha p120. Not a bad rig, but I could use an upgrade.

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

I am pretty close - excepting pie-in-the-sky things like having a grand piano on stage......

My Current Rig:

Yamaha P250

Hammond XK-3 through Speakeasy AMA and Roadbox III

*or* Nord Electro 3 using internal sim

Muse Receptor 2 Pro- running White Grand,Ivory, Rain Piano, Scarbee electric pianos, Minimonsta, mellotron samples, VB3(when no 2nd keyboard),assorted plugs.

Peavey 1600x or Voce V5 as a drawbar controller/preset chooser.

Ashley mixer

DBX graphic EQ

MOTU midi patchbay/router/filter

2 EV sxa360 powered speakers.

The upper keyboard sits directly on the Yamaha, so I can comfortably play dual manual organ. All the rack stuff is in one rack, connected by a combination midi/audio snake to the keyboards. Pedals all on a pedalboard with power cords. Set up is pretty quick.

So with 1 button push I have on the bottom keyboard: Piano, Wurly, Rhodes, Mellotron, Synth, lower manual of the organ, and if the Electro is there as opposed to the Hammond, any of the Electro sounds.

The top board has upper manual organ, or whatever sounds are in that board.

Planning on getting a smaller digital piano for the scaled down rig - which only gets used as a controller when I have the Receptor anyway.

The super scaled down rig will be: digital piano, Nord electro 3, Barbetta 41.

And then anything within the 2 extremes.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Archived