Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Primary bands reaction to second band...?

Ross Brown

Anyone care to share experiences on what happened when they started or joined a second band?

My current band seems to be struggling with the idea a bit. No hard data but I see it coming. :snax:

I have been open and honest.

I have invited any and all of them to join me in second band (it is a blues project) if they are interested.

I have openly stated that gigs/practices for second band will be worked around the primary bands schedule.

Primary band plays 2-4 times a month

Probably a boring story but I am curious how such things have gone for others.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am working in 3 at the moment... first come first serve... booking every weekend? That is my band. Rehearsals are one seperate days and don't change.

Biggest thing is doing your homework so when the groups get together there is productive time usage.

Wow, first post in months?!? Where have I been? TimeWarp

Brocko

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

+1

I'm planning on being in 3 projects soon.

Rules: Set rehearsals 1st band every forthnight on Monday.

2nd band alternate monday

3rd band one of the other days.

Gigs first come first serve basis. No band takes priority. If they are not happy with that I can get someone to replace me with short notice.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

I got dumped by my blues band because they were concerned that I was committing to too many pickup gigs where I had to learn a lot of new music but that group still wasn't tight. I didn't have the heart to tell them that I wasn't the weak link. It was cool, though...I'm making money and playing gigs (which they are not) and I no longer have regular rehearsals out of the city. That weekly rehearsal consisted of more than 50% of my weekly driving.

I now only play regularly with the symphony and the rest of my time is pickup gigs. I now play more gigs and get paid more than I ever have before.

That's my story.

I remember the guitarists reaction - not good. He was very threatened and rightly so. I ended up quitting and going with the second band. If he wouldn't have been such a big baby . . .

The 2 bands I play with now are very mature and cool. Everyone respects one another and there is always encouragement and support. The 2 guitarists are very different in style and each has said "Man I wish I could play like that."

If you can communicate your intentions clearly and be honest with everyone involved there should never be a problem.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

My personal experience:

In Stonefly we have a Yahoo calendar, and you put in the dates you are unavailable. While we talk about what's going on in our lives, you don't have to specify why you aren't available. And if you are unavailable for too much time, we come down on you like a bad hammer....er...we talk about it. One guy owned a rental ski house and was unav every other weekend. That was mostly OK for us, but every once in a while he had to give up his trip because everyone else was busy when he was free.

For years I had 7 Fridays in the Spring when I was doing a crucifixion play. We were rehearsing on Fridays (monthly) in those days, and the guys shifted a rehearsal or two.

My thoughts:

I think that if you are playing pick-up gigs, or it's understood that you play as you are called (like Jeremy), it should be "first come-first serve". When you are in a "band", I would think you'd have to decide which group is primary in your mind (my mind might explode if I had to constantly shift priorities).

You've stated which band is first. I'd remind them that up to now, you've never said "no" to anything for band1 because of band2. Tell them to keep an eye on you and look for it, because they won't see it happen. Sometimes it takes time to earn trust (even though it sounds like they should know you better).

And after it is no longer an issue, tell them you are quitting to join your shirt on its world tour. :eek:

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

When I was younger and in my first "real" band that had gigs nearly every month, I confess I was kinda irritated with our drummer because he also had gigs with another band.

Maybe I'm a little older and a little wiser now, but I wish I hadn't been a jerk back then about it. As long as no one had to cancel gigs because someone was committed somewhere else, not a big deal.

A stiffy somewhere in the city sewer system...

I work freelance so it isn't an issue with me. The half a dozen or so bands that I play with are all used to this and nobody has a problem.

Many of my friends are in regular bands. They are given schedules, usually two months in advance, and are free to play with other bands on nights which are not on the schedule. No one (the first band, the player, or someone else who calls them for a gig) has a problem with that.

If you only play a few times a month with a band, how can you be expected to make a full-time commitment?

It seems like there a lot of bands that spend an amazing amount of time rehearsing for a small amount of performances. That's hard for me to understand.

It seems like there a lot of bands that spend an amazing amount of time rehearsing for a small amount of performances. That's hard for me to understand.

I am in one such band. In our case, it's not so much "rehearsal" as it is "get together and rush through the material we know, and just maybe attempt a new song or two once in a while." I'm seriously considering looking for a second band, or pickup gigs, because just like a few years ago when I played with the classic rock coverband from hell (not Tater Nuts-material, but still) I am becoming seriously demotivated about playing bass at all.

And my band should be cool with it, as 1) I've done it before (at one point I played semi-regularly with 3 bands - ah college days) and 2) our guitarist has joined an all-originals punk band. Those guys have hashed out 12 songs in 3 rehearsals, and are arranging them for recording in a few weeks. My face is green !!

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Almost everyone I play with is in multiple groups. We just try to communicate well. None of my projects is really busy. One is a Thursday night jazz thing with occasional other gigs. One is mostly "other" gigs right now, nothing steady, so it's no big deal.

I know that for some people rehearsal is a social event and a goal in itself. One of the bands that I play with plays every Tuesday night and never gigs. Everyone has a day job and this is their hobby.

They don't actually rehearse, though. It's a big band (18 pieces) and they sight-read. I've never played the same piece of music twice with them.

Now that's a good hobby.

We rehearse once a week to learn new songs and fix mistakes. We enjoy rehearsal. It is kept to two hours, same time same night of week. Since it is on a Thursday, if we have two gigs on the weekend we cancel because the singer likes to save his voice. (He can play three gigs in a row, just not wasting on rehearsal).

The second band rehearsal is on Wednesdays. I suppose it will just take time for them to see that it is ok... or that I am a jerk...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Jazz band reherses twice weekly - Sunday and Monday evenings. New drummer (December), new keys (February). Once the first gig (tonight) is out of the way, I'm putting a stop to the Monday nonsense. We kinda needed the extra time to establish a three set song list and allow for the drummer, keys and I to do some arrangement.

Bandleader spends a lot of time talking to "committment to the band". The old version of the band played every three to four weeks (just perfect for me).

Now that I've played part of a blues set using the URB with a local classic rock band, I've got the jones for a blues/blues rock side project. The drummer would definately be intersted.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

I forgot about the big band! Mine is very similar to Jeremy's. I'm by far the youngest member and they play for 2 local town functions a year (4th of July and something else) but still rehearse every other week. I think it's an outlet for them and an excuse to get out of their wives' collective hair.

I'm starting to recognise the distinction between bands who rehearse more than they perform and their counterparts...I just don't know how to get a band to cross over. The disco band I'm subbing for now is right on the verge and they're perfectly happy with that. They all have day jobs but they usually gig 2-4 times a month with rehearsals just about every week.

None of their damn business what I'm doing the rest of the week.

What's weird for me right now is that I have four projects on the burner. At least one, probably two, will have to be culled. But since none of them are moving too quickly, I'm just kinda letting it all float. I don't want to cut the wrong branch till after I know which ones will bear fruit.

Is there a country song in there somewhere?

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

I am getting ready to audition with a second band. The first band rehearses every week. We gig once a month. I am too busy for that. We play the same songs over and over and we (read drummer) make the same mistakes. I guess I am ready to make the leap into a better band. I think I am using it as a crutch. I know we are going to screw up so it is what it is.

On topic though, they were not real happy when I told them I was looking for another band. I told them that we were not gigging enough. I want to play out. I don't want to play the same songs over and over again in the basement.

The guitarist was cool with it. As long as it doesn't interfere with other commitments who cares. Worse case scenario for me is I join a better band and make more money....or at least gig more.

How do you sign a computer screen?

I don't have a primary band. I have bands that I'm in. I've been in as many as four actively gigging bands at one time. Generally speaking everything just sort of works out. Especially when you have set rehearsal days. And it also doesn't hurt to have a good sub or two lined up in the event of a double booking.

The "blues" band I was in with Dan the Wonder Harpist, the one thatcaused more blues than it played, ended becaue I got offered a pickup gig for $50 on a Saturdaywhen we were rehearsing on. I had already told them I wouldn't be available that day, but Dan went ahead and scheduled rehearsal anyway. When I told I him had a gig, he got very hyper about questioning "my commitment to this band". I told him to find another guy. End of story.

The point is that it depends on the people you are working with. Some are regular enough guys that they understand if you need to make a little money on a day that the band isn't booked. Then there are people like Dan, who make life miserable for pretty much everyone aroud them. If you are in a band with one of Dan's sort of people, you have the choice to take his crap, or not play out with anyone else, or tell him to take the "A" train with all the other "A"s and go do something else.

I have not regretted telling Dan to take the "A" train. He still hasn't gotten a band up and gigging, and I kinda doubt he ever will.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I know that for some people rehearsal is a social event and a goal in itself. One of the bands that I play with plays every Tuesday night and never gigs. Everyone has a day job and this is their hobby.

They don't actually rehearse, though. It's a big band (18 pieces) and they sight-read. I've never played the same piece of music twice with them.

Now that's a good hobby.

Wow. I need one of those. Beats the hell out of bowling night or some crap.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

I'm about to discover the reaction.

Tomorrow I'm taking my bandleader (also known as my youngest son, the professional student)out to celebrate his 24th birthday. After dinner I'm taking him with me to hear a band that has asked me to be their steady bass player.

Could be an interesting evening! But it's time for him to "poop or git off the pot" with his band. I need to recoup some of my equipment investment.

I think when it comes down to it, we all prioritize our various bands and projects. I've got roughly three things going on right now. One is a friend's original project that is actively practicing for some showcase gigs. Another is a cover band that's in the formative stages. And the other original band is on hiatus.

I've got different goals for each project. And I definitely regard them in varying levels of importance. I try to keep thing above board with band members. If I have a gig with one band, I make sure to let the others know. But as far as scheduling goes, it's first come, first served.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

He still hasn't gotten a band up and gigging, and I kinda doubt he ever will.

But I'll bet he lets everybody know who's fault it is;)

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

The narrow-mindedness of some people ... I send a reaction to an ad saying "bass player wanted" and I get the following response (translated by myself, for obvious reasons)

We rehearse in Leuven [about an hour drive from where I live - EPB] and usually on Sunday afternoons on a weekly or every other week basis. Judging by the MySpace links you added, you play in a completely different genre than ours. We play a mix of rock, jazz, world music ... but for the moment purely as a hobby and with no intention of "making it", if you know what I mean. My gut feeling tells me that for several reasons (distance, style) it will not be possible to play together. But I could be wrong. So, if you're still interested, feel free to drop by and I'll let you hear some tunes.

I wrote back stating I found his mail funny, because I have played in popbands, classic rockbands, metalbands and now rockabilly bands, and my primary concern is what the people I play with are like and inhowfar I can adapt to any given genre (because Yes, Virginia, there IS a difference in playing styles between pop, rock, metal and rockabilly).

I also pointed out that for rehearsals every other week, I wouldn't mind driving a bit further, but I would want to hear the music FIRST and then make the drive, not go up there to potentially hear a load of self-indulgent crap (I left out the part about the self-indulgent crap, obviously).

Whatever he replies next, if he replies at all, he can kiss my hairy *** and look for another bass player. I'm definitely not following up on this, nor will I bother to reply if he chooses to respond.

Apologies to Ross for sort of side-tracking his thread.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

I think we all agree that the biggest issue is availability.

If your #1 project is only gigging 2-4 times a month that leaves 4-6 more Friday/Saturdays in a typical month. And that's not counting weekday nights.

First come first serve scheduling shouldn't change anything. You'll still have (at least) 2-4 openings a month for your #1 project.

Yes, scheduling conflicts can still occur, but problems like these can be alleviated by using subs. You should find your own sub(s). (I have my own sub; I met him at an open jam.)

At least subs work for the rhythm section or sidemen.

Going to see Van Halen but seeing Barry Manilow on vocals and Yngwie Malmsteen on guitar might put you off. :freak: But a lot of people enjoyed seeing Robert Plant and Jimmy Page get together to play some old Zep tunes regardless of who played bass, keys, mandolin and drums.

The only other issue is competition. If your 2nd project is too much like project #1 (both are rock cover bands, for example) then venues may prefer one to the other.

I don't see a problem with rock and blues competing. Either the two bands will play different venues or if they play the same venue they will play different nights. (Friday night blues and Saturday night rock, for example.)

Of course this only matters for bands because we brand ourselves. Like how some people will not accept a Pepsi if they've ordered a Coke.

Some gigs are booked by music directors. The MD then goes down his lists of musicians to fill the spots. If Jeremy isn't available that night then he might call three more bassists before he finds one who is available. No big deal.

Depending on the type of gig the frontmen may not matter. Does it really matter who blows the sax solos in a Big Band? Probably not. But if you specify that Branford Marsalis is going to be there then that's a different story.

Or if the event is billed as "a night of rock and roll". You're just a nameless band then. You can have anyone be frontmen in that case.

I am playing with about 4 or 5 bands/artists right now. One of these has my priority. On the rest, it's first come, first serve. In one of those I have not been able to play a couple times. Fortunately, in that one I am playing guitar -when playing full band-, and the MD is also a guitar player, and I switch to bass when playing smaller gigs. Then, If I can not get there, the "other" bass player -who plays with the full band while I do guitar- fills me in without problem, since the songs are the same. All other bands -which do not gig as often anyway- are on notice that band #1 gets my priority (Better musicians, a repertoire I love, and DEFINITELY better paid than any of the other ones) and know this from the very first minute they talk me in. I have a good friend who plays awesome and knows most of the repertoire I work with, who I can send as a sub sometimes, although I've had not the real need of it. It wouldn't hurt, however, to start training someone as a sub for at least a couple bands...

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

There have been times when I played in two church bands at once. One of them only played one Sunday a month or so, and a coffeehouse or something every few months or so. I always had the courtesy to let people know if I wasn't going to be there. Reactions vary.

Some people say, "well, God bless you, have a great time."

Others seem to feel I'm betraying them and/or God if I play somewhere else that day.

Well, if I'm not doing it for money, and have never signed a contract... it's a free country, ain't it? I don't recall MARRYING any of them! And my wife doesn't care who I play with, as long as I'm sleeping with them!

Archived