Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"The Contemporary Keyboardist" - any good?

mikeNZ1

Does anyone know how good or useful "The Contemporary Keyboardist" by John Novello is? I'm about to hit the woodshed for a while, and would like some good company. Around here the book is special order, not return so any informed comment would be appreciated.

Any other suggestions for advanced training materials for contempory keyboards?

Thanks

Michael

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a decent book but there are 2 problems:

1. The typeface is like that of an old typewriter (Courier)... so the book is very thick like a telephone directory... a new release with better typefaces would really help... plus the paper quality is kinda rough...

2. Unfortunately John Novello is a Scientologist and keeps talking about Ron L Hubbard all the way through... the music content seems cool.. but I kinda tired of the mantra aftera while..

Its a decent book but there are 2 problems:

1. The typeface is like that of an old typewriter (Courier)... so the book is very thick like a telephone directory... a new release with better typefaces would really help... plus the paper quality is kinda rough...

I have this book as well and must admit this has also been a turnoff for me.

"Advanced training" could mean different things to different people. I'm just grateful to Bobadoshe for turning me on to Bach's Two-Part Inventions as a means of improving my keyboard technique AND studying these great compositions from the inside. I got the Alfred Masterworks Edition (Inventions and Sinfonias) with included CD. It clearly shows the fingerings for each trill too - very helpful!

I also just got Tim Richards' "Improvising Blues Piano" book after seeing the rave reviews on a jazz piano forum.

"The Contemporary Keyboardist" by John Novello

The author of the critically-acclaimed "bible" of contemporary keyboard playing, The Contemporary Keyboardist, now brings students 86 studies that cover 17 contemporary keyboard styles - jazz, rock, funk, Latin, country, stride, blues, pop, gospel, and many more. This pack includes notes on playing, and both a CD and a General MIDI disk featuring recordings of each etude for the student to play along with.

Governorsilver- what your thoughts on the Tim Richards book?

So far Improvising Blues Piano looks impressive - covering a wide range of blues styles, lots of little profiles on great blues pianists, historical information, etc.. I am a believer in learning via music pieces and this book has plenty of them (60). I disagree with the negative reviewer on Amazon who said "never discusses soloing". Every lesson in the book has a "now YOU improvise" section with a suggested pool of notes to use.

http://www.timrichards.ndo.co.uk/bluespianobook.html

This book is so focused on the blues, Richard's jazz piano book series reportedly has no blues at all. ;)

I've heard that the Tim Richards Jazz Piano books are good, much more accessible than the Mark Levine ones.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Governorsilver- what your thoughts on the Tim Richards book?

Just started working through the Improvising Blues Piano book. I think Lesson 1 (Beginner's Blues) is the only one in which the reader is not asked to improvise. It's a basic triadic arpeggio-based groove, following a I-IV-I-V-I progression. From Lesson 2 onwards (not 100% sure because I haven't looked at every single lesson), the reader is asked to try some improv. One difference I see right off the bat compared to guitar-oriented instruction is that the reader is NOT introduced to the blues scale or even the pentatonic at the outset. Instead, the reader is asked to improvise just using the chord tones. I'm sitting here listening to the included CD, and with each new track, I hear more elements introduced to the basic triadic framework - eg. more trills, more grace notes, etc. Everything I hear so far seems to also emphasize a strong, steady left hand bass line. The youtube vid that I posted was indeed a performance of the author's transcription of Meade Lux Lewis' Honky Tonk Train Blues and it is indeed the final track on the CD.

I figured I'd share an update based on actually starting on this book.

• 10 years later...