Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good board for live performance?

80skeys

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quote by tremens:

"get fantom X, can be bought cheaply these days."

Responses like the above are about worthless. Just because tremens likes Roland Fantom doesn't mean its a good fit for 80skeys. If you can get the CS6x at a price you can afford, and you like the way it sounds and feels, get it.

Welcome to music!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

The CS6X a lot in common with the S30, including it's cheap hardware and keyboard.

If you are patient you will find a used Motif 6 for under $500. Sometimes under $400. The same Yamaha lineage but newer, better sounds, better keyboard, better everything. A couple hundred more will get you a used ES6. I wouldn't go any lower than a Motif if you are looking for a Yamaha rompler at today's prices.

The CS6X a lot in common with the S30, including it's cheap hardware and keyboard.

Are you sure you're not confusing the CS6x with one of its lesser siblings (CS1x, CS2x)? The CS6x was a pretty robust piece of gear, if memory serves.

If you are patient you will find a used Motif 6 for under $500. Sometimes under $400. The same Yamaha lineage but newer, better sounds, better keyboard, better everything. A couple hundred more will get you a used ES6. I wouldn't go any lower than a Motif if you are looking for a Yamaha rompler at today's prices.

The Motif won't be as useful for his 'synthpop' requirements; the CS series has far "synth" type controls, and would be a better choice for a knob-twiddling approach. To get this from a Motif, you'd need to add the AN1x card, and even then you're isolated from many of the parameters by layers of menus and required pre-programming. :(

Agreed, if he's looking for a ROMpler the Motif is a great choice, but that's not what the O.P. is looking for. Right tool for the right job, and all that. :)

Are you sure you're not confusing the CS6x with one of its lesser siblings (CS1x, CS2x)? The CS6x was a pretty robust piece of gear, if memory serves.

Yeah, the CS6x was an extremely well built piece that was a much, much, much, much better instrument than the other CS's of that era. It had a killer sound set, a real unique piece. The best comparison I can think of is that it was like the D50 of it's time - lots of programs that are in that Digital Native Dance sort of concept, but also a ton of amazing leads, pads, basses, and so forth. I almost bought the rack module more times that I can recall, it was such a cool sounding synth. It has some traditional ROMpler capabilities, but in reality it's a powerful synth that deserved more attention than it received.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Maybe I am confusing those CS models 80skeys. Try it out and if it's a fit go for it.

You can do synthpop on a Motif without the AN1X board though if you are playing live... don't know the application. There's plenty of synth presets in them.

Just my 2c since I've been doing 80's for a while. The problem I've always had is some of the most basic analog stuff. Something as simple as PWM - depending on speed and depth, you may be able to find a close sample, but if it's more pronounced, a sample won't cut it. Same for Osc Sync (like the Car's Let's Go, which is actually 70's, but you get the idea). In my old band, I used to use a sound canvas triggered by an A-70 and a Jupiter 6 running throuh a Boss FX unit. You figure, you don't need great piano/etc sounds because they didn't have them in the 80's. But they DID use a lot of analog, so it's hard to do it justice without having the ability to do at least some of the most basic analog or VA synthesis.

I'm using the Alesis Fusion now which has VA, sampling, sequencing and even hard disk recording. They stopped making them and I haven't looked for a while, but they were getting pretty cheep ($600-$800 on ebay) - don't know if that's still the case. Be warned that this board is a little buggy and not the greatest user interface, but it will do everything you need if you really want to nail those sounds without spending an arm and a leg.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Give it a long listen. Make sure it provides the sounds and feel you are looking for.....My opinion, for the all around sounds you can't go wrong with a motif es....
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Give it a long listen. Make sure it provides the sounds and feel you are looking for.....My opinion, for the all around sounds you can't go wrong with a motif es....

I prefer the S90 ES for live. Same sounds but with better piano. Also a bit smaller which is a big help.

JP

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

Archived