Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jude Gold Leaving GUITAR PLAYER

Editor Boy

Hi all...

Today is Jude Gold's last day as an Associate Editor of GUITAR PLAYER.

It's a sad day for us, because Jude is all kinds of wonderful, talented, hard-working, full of ideas, and overall groovy, but it's also a GOOD day, because he is taking a fabulous job at MUSICIAN's INSTITUTE in Hollywood, California as Department Head of GIT (Guitar Institute of Technology). He will also continue to contribute to GUITAR PLAYER as our "Los Angeles Editor."

During his tenure at GP, Jude has evolved our lessons content into (admittedly biased opinion ahead) some of the most innovative, useful, thoughtful, challenging, and entertaining educational material for guitarists. I'm certain he has helped tens of thousands of our readers play better, and, man, GIT is really in for some exciting times with him at its helm.

Jude is also one of the most humble, honest, moral, and caring people I know -- which is a strange mix of good qualities for someone as ferociously talented as he is. Meaning, for me, that he is one of the best guitarists I have ever heard in my life, and I've heard everyone from Eric Clapton and B.B. King to Yngwie Malmsteen and Johnny Ramone! If you think this is insanely high praise, then go out and listen to him someday, or search for performance videos on YouTube. He is one of the treasures of the world guitar community, and yet he's someone who would sit down and have a beer or a burger with just about anyone.

Despite the fact that, being a native San Franciscan, I detest the fact that Southern California is getting him as a resident, I'm sure that the opportunities available in the media center that is Hollywood will soon blast Jude into the large-scale notoriety and success that he truly deserves.

Please keep an eye out for him, and post any congrats or advice you might have for him here on this forum.

Best,

Mike

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jude Gold has been one of my favorite GP Staffers for quite a while now, up there with the likes of Tom Wheeler, Andy Ellis, Joe Gore; always hip as Hell, yet totally personable, easily coming off as a good guy while not seeming to have been trying to. I've appreciated his occasional posting on these boards and the friendly, direct way he'd reply to its members- and his being a member, not just an "official" from some sort of MP/GP Central. And, anyone who's read any of his contributions to GP or his posts hereabouts could tell that he's obviously a complete and total guitar geek, and I do mean that in the best of ways!

I'm glad that he will still be a part of the GP Staff, that this isn't a full departure. The magazine can only be the better for that! (If he forgets and leaves one of those cool MJ guitars behind, send it to me, I'll be sure to get it to him.) :thu:

Here's to his position at GIT being a great career move! I wish him all the success he can stand! :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

The little bits I've heard of JG's playing lead me to agree about how talented and skilled he is.

I keep thinking HE should also be the subject of a GP feature interview, and this sounds like it's leading in the right direction. :thu:

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Thanks all, very nice words indeed. Much appreciated. And thanks, Mike, for the very nice posting here! The superlatives you offered are far and above my worthiness, though I'm very thankful for them. The talent level of the players here on our forum alone is more than enough to bring us all back to earth and remind each and every one of us that we are and always will be mere students of the guitar.

GP is most definitely family to me -- a band of brothers, just as many people are here on the forum -- and I'll definitely remain involved, finding groovy stuff in L.A. to bring to our readers, and beaming it in to GP headquarters each month. GP is beacon in guitar culture, and takes all of us to keep it brightly lit.

This forum rocks.

Cheers,

--jude

Jude Gold

Associate Editor

Guitar Player Magazine

Jude, keep rockin at GIT, and although I am dissapointed to see you go, it is refreshing to hear that there will still be contributions. I always appreciated your transcriptions and your gear reviews, because we have similar taste in tone.

Best of luck

I just looked up Jude's playing on Youtube. Wow, he has played with some really top notch guys. I liked what I saw. Nice solos etc. I am sure he is well qualified to do whatever he wants at MIT.

Too bad for GP, but maybe he will contribute when he can.

Oh, yeah; his work in the pages and 'pages of GP has always stood out. Good man to have in our collective corner.

Jude, since you'll be in L.A., I'll try to use the local vernacular: "Dewd! I'm like, totally totalled by the total....totality, dewd!"

(In slight NY accent) Funny joke, eh? Take off! ;):laugh: What's this all aboot, Reif? :thu::D

(Ducks Labatt's and Molson bottles)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I just looked up Jude's playing on Youtube. Wow, he has played with some really top notch guys. I liked what I saw. Nice solos etc. I am sure he is well qualified to do whatever he wants at MIT.

Too bad for GP, but maybe he will contribute when he can.

Oh, yeah; his work in the pages and 'pages of GP has always stood out. Good man to have in our collective corner.

Jude, since you'll be in L.A., I'll try to use the local vernacular: "Dewd! I'm like, totally totalled by the total....totality, dewd!"

(In slight NY accent) Funny joke, eh? Take off! ;):laugh: What's this all aboot, Reif? :thu::D

(Ducks Labatt's and Molson bottles)

Ya makin' fun of my Canadian accent, eh? I don't be thinkin' so ! :wave: Now 'scuse me whiles I goes n' puts mayonnaise on me pancakes!

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

You'll be missed, Jude!

I remember your kind note to me when you printed a submission of mine in an old Guitar Player on how to end a song with a cool chord.

It seems you're ending your service at GP on a cool note, and I pray there will be whole SYMPHONIES in your future......

Not to wax poetic...

Congratulations to Jude Gold on his new job. Sadness for GP. I hadn't posted in a long time, but had been lurking every once in a while, yet had to log in to post this, b/c Jude Gold is one of my favorite GP dudes! Good luck in your new job! :thu:

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Archived