Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which Rhodes is this?

Jazz+

Which Rhodes is this tone produced by?

It's George Duke with Cannonball Adderley.

"Capricorn" From 1972's "Music, You all"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZcvb4ieU3Q

JULIAN "CANNONBALL" ADDERLEY- alto sax

NAT ADDERLEY- cornet

GEORGE DUKE-piano

WALTER BOOKER-bass

Roy McCurdy- drums

guest Artits;

ERNIE WATTS- tenor sax

MIKE DEASY-Guitar

AIRTO MOREIRA-percussion

http://www.cannonball-adderley.com/1502.htm

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sounds like a felt hammer rhodes with a lot of high EQ. I have Miroslav Vitous's LP Purple (from 1970) with Joe Zawinul on rhodes and it has a similar thunky sound though without the high EQ...

Capricorn was indeed a piece he seemed to cut on a few LPs... its also on the Zodiac LP...

A lot of outboard! Its a "fender rhodes" for sure... but its not the early one that Joe Z used with Cannonball its the 1971- mid 70s one... I know an album or two with Jan you would love mate stubb... check out the following (using your fav mp3 blogspot ;) )

Steve Grossman - Some Shapes to Come

Charlie Mariano - Helen 12 Trees

both from mid 70s...

Jan waaaaaaaaaaaaailllllllllllllllllsssssssssss on those LPs... rhodes and moog bliss then some...

It sounds like a felt hammer rhodes with a lot of high EQ. I have Miroslav Vitous's LP Purple (from 1970) with Joe Zawinul on rhodes and it has a similar thunky sound though without the high EQ...

Capricorn was indeed a piece he seemed to cut on a few LPs... its also on the Zodiac LP...

Yep. Felt hammers and the old tine design. Very different tone than what we're accustomed to hearing. Same as on the old Bitches Brew record. Probably a silvertop.

I know that George Duke and Harold Rhodes were good friends... on a visit to see George, Harold attempted to 'fix' George's rhodes thinking it was all out of whack... George had to stop him as his idea of a rhodes sound was a different one to Harolds...

There are a lot of guys who love a messed up rhodes too.. in fact some jazzers insist upon it... Jacky Terrason won't have any perfect rhodes...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived