Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Motif XS vs. S90ES......am I missing something..???

surreal mccoy

I apologize ahead if this topic has been beat to death. I tried a search but didn't find the results I was seeking.

BTW.....I've been out of the "keyboard loop" for a couple of years and only recently began searching for the best sounding rompler.

I had a few minutes to kill last night while my daughter was shopping, so I ventured into the local GC.

Hearing some brief examples of acoustic pianos, violins, & horns thru identical speakers......the Motif smoked the S90ES.

Is this the general consensus.....or do most feel the other way around..?

My interest is strictly for live real time performance....FWIW....

Thanks for your patience with my "newbie" ignorance....

Next stop...NAMMM! :eek:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know, sound and action are all very subjective. Keep in mind that the XS is one generation newer than the ES class of KB's from Yamaha. In addition to sounds being different, the XS has a sequencer and a sampler, the S90ES does not. There should be an S90XS coming out at some point, so if all you need is a performance KB and not the sequencer and sampler, there should be something coming from Yamaha. Who knows when.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I don't know, sound and action are all very subjective. Keep in mind that the XS is one generation newer than the ES class of KB's from Yamaha. In addition to sounds being different, the XS has a sequencer and a sampler, the S90ES does not. There should be an S90XS coming out at some point, so if all you need is a performance KB and not the sequencer and sampler, there should be something coming from Yamaha. Who knows when.

Mike T.

Thanks Mike,

Yeah, sampler and sequencer aside......I was just referring to my initial take on the voices. The S90ES in a nutshell sounded more "synth" colored vs. what I was gathering from like acoustic samples off the XS. I'd be curious to see a S90XS at NAMM.......who knows.....maybe I will.... :idea:

I don't believe the ES "smokes" the XS. Similar sounds with a few tweaks.

For live performance mainly, the S90ES still sounds great and is a good bargain compared to the XS. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

quote by Surreal McCoy:

"The S90ES in a nutshell sounded more "synth" colored vs. what I was gathering from like acoustic samples off the XS."

Both instruments are sample based in ROM. Many of the sounds on the XS are the same as on the ES, but there ARE new sounds specific to the XS. The Piano is different on the XS, whether its "better" is subjective. I like some of the strings on the XS, but I also like the ones on the ES. And....what kind of parts you play on string arrangements is equally as important as the sound itself.

Things to consider, the S90ES can be bought at a very reasonable price at this stage of its model life. The XS is much newer and you will pay more for it. If the ONLY criteria is sound, I would give the XS the node. However, I'm not about to run out and buy an XS when I own a Motif ES8, the differences are not great enough to warranty the $$$, IMO.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I'm actually on a mission to find the best sounding rompler. I'm more concerned with "truer" strings, horns, pads & EP's vs. acoustic piano & B3 voices. For my live usage, there's a real Yamaha grand as well as a software B4 via an Oxygen controller.

I also own one of the original S90's as well as using an older Roland RD700 for live performance. In fact, I'm looking to replace the RD700.

While at NAMM, I'm hoping to check out the Kurzweil PC3x...

hmm......I wonder how the PC3 voices will compare to the Motif XS..? :idea:

I also own one of the original S90's as well as using an older Roland RD700 for live performance. In fact, I'm looking to replace the RD700.

While at NAMM, I'm hoping to check out the Kurzweil PC3x...

Considering you already own a Yamaha S90 and need more realistic sounds, the PC3X is worth investigating. Good luck. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

It's looking like the S90XS won't be announced yet. Maybe Summer NAMM? Yamaha typically posts all their new products ahead of NAMM by several days to a week or so. Their website already lists their two new products, and they aren't keyboards (although there is an announcement about a "hard to categorise" new piano coming out).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Looks like Yamaha has no new products this year. Maybe they're holding the S90 XS back for release when people are more willing to spend. In which case, maybe they'll use the time to throw in some nice additional features :-).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived