Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Way OT: History according to the BCS

Jode

If history is written by the winners, what if the BCS chose the winners?

BCS DECLARES GERMANY WINNER OF WORLD WAR II

US Ranked 4th

After determining the Big 12 divisional champions, the BCS computers were put to work on other major contests and today declared Germany to be the winner of World War II.

"Germany put together an incredible number of victories beginning with the annexation of Austria and the Sudetenland, continuing on into conference play with defeats of Poland, France, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium and the Netherlands. Their only losses came against the US and Russia; however, considering their entire body of work--including an incredibly tough strength of schedule--our computers deemed them worthy of the #1 ranking."

Questioned about the #4 ranking of the United States, the BCS commissioner stated, "The US only had two major victories-- Japan and Germany. The computer models, unlike humans, aren't influenced by head-to-head contests--they consider each contest to be only a single, equally-weighted event."

German Chancellor Adolph Hitler said, "Yes, we lost to the US, but we defeated #1 ranked France in only 6 weeks." Herr Hitler has been criticized for seeking dramatic victories to earn 'style points' to enhance Germany 's rankings. Hitler protested, "Our contest with Poland was in doubt until the final day, and the conditions in Norway were incredibly challenging and demanded the application of additional forces."

Hitler also stated that one of the major factors in ranking Germany number 1 was the strength of the German schedule. "If you want to be number one, you have to play a tough schedule."

The French ranking has also come under scrutiny. The BCS commented, "France had a single loss against Germany, and following a preseason #1 ranking, they only fell to #2."

Japan was ranked #3 with victories including Manchuria, Borneo and the Philippines .

Russia remains BCS-ineligible due to recurring recruiting violations.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The BCS is not perfect by any stretch, but the one thing that makes college football even greater than it would be is that every game matters...it's a season-long playoff. College football rivalries are great -- Ohio State vs. Michigan; Stanford vs. Cal; Texas vs. Oklahoma. One of the reasons those rivalries are so hot is because most of them are played the last game of the regular season (not Texas vs. Oklahoma, but they should), and a loss then really can ruin a season (see Alabama this year). If college football went to a playoff format, the regular season would soon be as interesting as college basketball -- Ho Hum. Only the tournament matters in college basketball. It is great yes, and a college football playoff would be exciting, but it would make the regular season just about meaningless. I hope they never go to a playoff.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Texas has a few rivalries, several of which go way back to the old SWC. I think the importance of the rivalry depends on how well the other team is doing. You'd be talking about Texas vs. A&M as a key rivalry in many years, just not this one. (I'm not a fan of either, but I can't help but hear about it. The Aggie fans are awful quiet this year.)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The Aggie fans are awful quiet this year.

That's because they're still trying to get the foul taste of Dennis Franchione out of their mouths. Bama fans were quiet for a while, too - it takes a lot of gargling to kill that flavor.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

That's because they're still trying to get the foul taste of Dennis Franchione out of their mouths. Bama fans were quiet for a while, too - it takes a lot of gargling to kill that flavor.

:facepalm: Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I wonder why, it brought me so much joy. ;)

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

If college football went to a playoff format, the regular season would soon be as interesting as college basketball -- Ho Hum.

You obviously don't live in ACC territory...

...a college football playoff would be exciting, but it would make the regular season just about meaningless.

So you're saying the Division I-AA (or whatever they call it now), Division II, and Division III seasons are all meaningless? How about the NFL?

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

If college football went to a playoff format, the regular season would soon be as interesting as college basketball -- Ho Hum.

...a college football playoff would be exciting, but it would make the regular season just about meaningless.

So you're saying the Division I-AA (or whatever they call it now), Division II, and Division III seasons are all meaningless? How about the NFL?

Stepay's just worried that Ohio State would get embarrassed in the first round of a playoff instead of in the Championship game... ;)
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Stepay's just worried that Ohio State would get embarrassed in the first round of a playoff instead of in the Championship game... ;)

Very funny Kanker. I'm never worried about an Ohio State loss. I'm always glad when they get an opportunity. This year the opportunity is clearly a bit big, and quite honestly while I'm glad they made a BCS game, I'm not sure they deserved it. They lost AT HOME to Penn State. Penn State was pretty good this year, but they should have found a way to beat a team at home that lost to Iowa.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

1) ACC basketball is big, but only for those who live in ACC areas. Nationally no one cares about how those teams do (and quite honestly even diehard fans don't care THAT much) in the regular season. College basketball is all about the tournament baby!

2) In college football, only Division I really matters (and I went to a Division III school and even ran cross country and track there -- Ohio Wesleyan!). But to answer your question, NO, the regular season in college football other than Division I doesn't matter. Get in and you have a shot. Otherwise it doesn't matter.

3) The NFL regular season really doesn't matter much either. Teams can lose several games and still make the playoffs. There's just no where near the urgency to win each game as there is in college (DI) football. The NFL is very popular, but other than people who bet money on the games, there isn't the interest each week in how the best teams did. In college if Texas loses in week 6 then it's a BIG DEAL. In the NFL...not so much. A playoff would kill regular season college football. They couldn't hype each game like they do now. Losing a single game and thus being out of the title game makes the game so much more urgent than losing and dropping from a potential #1 seed to a #3.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

1) ACC basketball is big, but only for those who live in ACC areas. Nationally no one cares about how those teams do (and quite honestly even diehard fans don't care THAT much) in the regular season. College basketball is all about the tournament baby!

Is that why I see Duke and NC (and sometimes Terp) stuff all over the country? Is that why Fox Sports has had "ACC Sunday Night Hoops" nationally broadcast for years?

Signed,

A Terp in Texas

Is that why I see Duke and NC (and sometimes Terp) stuff all over the country? Is that why Fox Sports has had "ACC Sunday Night Hoops" nationally broadcast for years?

Signed,

A Terp in Texas

There are a couple of teams (you pretty much named the two) that people have a slight interest in each week, but generally speaking people don't care about the regular season; rabid fandom begins in March. I've watched half a game of the Buckeyes play this year, and that was only to see how they were doing. The games just don't have urgency...bragging rights perhaps, but no urgency.

Regarding Maryland, I used to live in Maryland (Gaithersburg) and the madness surrounding regular season basketball there was nothing compared to the football madness that is here in Columbus each week of the fall. It was that way for football when I was living in Ann Arbor, MI too (for Michigan of course). In fact, when I was living in Maryland, the football team got way more coverage than the basketball team. I still remember the football coach -- Mark Duffner. Of course I know the basketball coach too because he came from Ohio State (Gary Williams), but basketball in Maryland was an after thought until the tournament.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

I would think that if basketball was as popular as football, the basketball arenas would be much larger. :)

I think I know what you mean about Gary Williams coming from Ohio State, but he played for the Terps as a student before he became a coach. Just in case you didn't know. ;)

Since my entire time in Maryland was on campus except for my last two semesters, I can't say what coverage was like outside of that. I'll take your word on that. I suspect that the basketball team's success the past few years has increased their attention, while the football team is probably slightly better than it was the down years when and after I was there.

:facepalm: Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I wonder why, it brought me so much joy. ;)

Hell, I missed the whole story somehow. I only knew Coach Fran was out of there because I heard him on the radio doing color commentary on a ballgame and said, "Wait a minute..." Then I went home and read the sordid, deliciously ironic story of him being forced out of his 'dream job' at A&M.

Oh well, as the Bible says, pride goeth before the fall. :D

Les Paul

Archived