Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

the Moog guitar

mhuxtable

Is anyone else completely stoked about this guitar? I hesitate to call it a guitar...it's really like an instrument all unto itself. If you're a classic rock/jazz/blues kinda guy, probably not to into it. BUT if you're into the next frontier, the new ideas...I think this is groundbreaking.

Backstory...So I cut hair and I cut the hair of the brother of Mr. Adams (owner of Moog). So I've been hearing step by step about the production of this guitar, and when it came out and the videos came out I was BLOWN AWAY.

Too bad I don't have $6500 this Christmas for it...oh well.

PS. My guy informed me a month or so ago that John Paul Jones called his brother wanting to order this guitar. How freaking awesome would it be to have JPJ want YOUR guitar!!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's price excludes most of us, and I doubt it's more playable than a benchmark 1/6th its price. The electronics are no doubt amazing, but it might as well be an Enzo or Veyron. Only a select few will ever know....
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I think playability is the least of the cost. From what Mr. Adams brother told me, it is more expensive than Mr. Adams had wanted, but it had to be to be profitable.

I think the bulk of the cost comes from:

1. the handbuilt and wired analog electronics. (the filters etc)

2. only 2 luthiers are making bodies right now, by hand.

3. the pickups and the different sustain modes are completely revolutionary.

one day man...Im gonna have that guitar...*single tear*

I love the moogerfooger pedals, and like everything moog. I don't love the prices, but they're all US made right? That I love, unless they're not and then I just love the illusion in my mind that they are.

I guess I have to find out if they'll do a lefty. I can't really afford it right now, but I got a serious thing for all things moog.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

I think playability is the least of the cost. From what Mr. Adams brother told me, it is more expensive than Mr. Adams had wanted, but it had to be to be profitable.

I think the bulk of the cost comes from:

1. the handbuilt and wired analog electronics. (the filters etc)

2. only 2 luthiers are making bodies right now, by hand.

That's pretty much it. Quality electronic components add quite a bit to the cost of any electronic product - that's why Apple stuff costs more than Dell's for example.

I know Zion Guitars is one of the Moog Guitar luthiers. Heard nothing but compliments from people who purchased Zion-made guitars. Of course, they cater to the custom guitar market, not the folks who buy $500-ish Asian-made Strats and the like. Who is the other luthier working for Moog?

Don't forget all the research and development that went into this- that's gotta figure-in...

:cool: And, yeah, that's cool, having an order placed by "John Paul Jones"; he always was into cutting-edge technology in musical instruments. I bet he's had a lot of Moog gear over the years.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Who is the other luthier working for Moog?

I cannot remember. They needed a second because their first luthier (I don't know if Zion was the first or second) couldn't produce enough per month.

Couldn't produce enough guitars per month? I guess Moog underestimated the demand even at that price. Just took a look at the website and now it says the guitar will be built by North American luthiers (plural) instead of just Zion. Other well known custom guitar luthiers that I know of in North Carolina (Moog is in Asheville) are McInturff and Gadow.

Remember the Syncalvier guitar to MIDI device at a quarter of a million dollars a pop? A few months later Roland came out with the GM70 at less than a grand, it worked as well or better with the addition of a few MIDI synths.

Listening to the demos on Moog's site leads me to believe this would be a welcome addition to any guitarist/producers quiver. I can see all kinds of uses for it in production. I would not need it myself, the older I get the less interested in production I am, and I want to get back to simple stuff. But for those composer producers there is a myriad of possibilities with that instrument. Someone will probably have something that can do similar stuff a lot cheaper soon.

Moog Music through their Moogerfooger pedals made control voltage (instead of MIDI) cool again for a lot of people. The Moog Guitar looks like a similar reaction against MIDI guitar.

Some have found ways to simulate quite a bit of the Moog Guitar sound and behavior on a Roland VG-99, which is approximately 1/6 the price and can be mated with whatever guitar you like.

There is a Youtube video of Fareed Haque doing vibrato on a note with one hand with infinite sustain AND tapping on other strings with the other hand at the same time, with the built-in electronic mute feature dampening open strings. This is one thing the Moog guitar is capable of that cannot be done on the VG-99 or any other "infinite sustain" product (Sustainer, Sustainiac, Ebow, etc.).

There was one person here who claimed he could build a Moog Guitar knockoff with all the functionality for a much lower cost. This could certainly be done with the electronics know-how and an Asian factory making the body and other parts. However, he hasn't posted since.

Well my hat's off - way off :laugh: - to Moog and those involved in the design of this instrument.

Ya gotta admire it when someone has the vision, knowhow and daring to push (and break) boundaries like this. :thu:

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

I'm also impressed by this guitar ! I'm just trying to

find out, how the moog guitar sounds with chrunch or distortion

amps settings. I mean pickup frequency characteristics and dynamics compared with classic single coil or humbucker pickups. I read on the Moog Guitar page the description about the pickups sound compared to classical ones, but I did'nt found much of those sound demos to get an impression ...

--- MPVibes ---

http://www.vibesware.com

I wonder if you'll be able to buy them cheap second-hand? :confused:

I would think not. Simply because of the type of instrument it is (I view it as much more than just a guitar), I would guess this is one of those instruments that 1. people won't get rid of once they buy it and 2. it won't depreciate too much.

i hadn't heard about this until just now! holy shit. i think i'm going to sell my car so i can buy this.

111.jpg

Just don't let any weasels rip your flesh. ;)

http://www.science.uva.nl/~robbert/zappa/files/gif/Weasels_Ripped_My_Flesh.gif

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

I'm also impressed by this guitar ! I'm just trying to

find out, how the moog guitar sounds with chrunch or distortion

amps settings.

Check out this vid:

It has clips of Fareed Haque and others jamming on Moog guitars. The first example of Moog guitar with distortion/overdirve is about 0:48 into the vid.

I know Zion Guitars is one of the Moog Guitar luthiers. Heard nothing but compliments from people who purchased Zion-made guitars. Of course, they cater to the custom guitar market, not the folks who buy $500-ish Asian-made Strats and the like. Who is the other luthier working for Moog?

The other luthier is in Chicago. I saw Mike's bro today and Zion was only able to produce 6 or 10 a month and Moog needed more, so this luthier in Chicago is producing 24-25 a month. So with both Zion and the guys in Chicago, I guess they're meeting their demand.

The other luthier is in Chicago. I saw Mike's bro today and Zion was only able to produce 6 or 10 a month and Moog needed more, so this luthier in Chicago is producing 24-25 a month. So with both Zion and the guys in Chicago, I guess they're meeting their demand.

Interesting... I wonder who that is. I heard Parker Guitars moved to Chicago after Ken Parker gave up the business.

With me, it would be a cost/benefit analysis.

Sure I'd love to have a Moog Guitar, but would I play it enough to justify the expense?

Reminding of Allan Holdsworth saying (perhaps somewhat facetiously) that a SynthAxe cost as much as a house!

It's simple economics: if it cost megabucks in research and production to develop a new instrument, and it's unlikely to ever be a mass production item, there's no way they can sell it at bargain basement prices... unless they're billionaires taking a $1 year salary like our current mayor in NYC. I doubt if HE even would!

Archived