Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Where you wear your bass - a scientific view.

Davo-London

Bass position  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Bass position

Ah, but in respecting your learned position - I should point out this is not a popularity poll, but a scientific assessment of positions actually used by active bassists. One presumes in making conclusions that the participants truthfully polled their positions. Clearly as a scientist I cannot compute participants lying about their positions. Nor can I do anything about that.

Thanks all the same for adding a bit of rigour to the proceedings. I was a little surprised to see the spin-off into insults - I don't really understand what I did to cause that.

Finally, the term BEST has no significance to me. It isn't a scientific word.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the margin of error on this scientific poll? Is this a double blind random sample with enough of a population spread to guarantee an even distribution of equality????

HMmmmmmmmmm??????

I don't think so!!

You people and your so called "science"! Give me Alchemy any day! Alchemy proves that any position can be transmogrified into any other position, therefor proving this poll is irrelevant as all position are really one and the same position just in a different state or reality.

So there!

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Yes, I am a little troubled that whilst I am trying to proceed with an important scientific experiment there seems to be many with the intent to derail me from my path.

Imaginary numbers are not the subject of this debate. Nor is one's fruit selection.

So, in the middle of Tenstrum's flawed thesis he does make an interesting point about demograph of the pollsters. Now, does age, race, sex matter in this poll? I would and will argue that they don't. However, if additional info could be supplied within the poll I believe that music genre would have been useful.

I don't believe that the current polling system allows such complexity.

I also note that we have had 52 votes in the poll, which is a very high turn out. This adds rigour to the experiment.

Good day

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

I think sex could enter into the preference. I would tend to think most women would rarely be a 6 or 7, as those would be a touch uncomfortable due to pressure on the breasts.. Most would tend to stay in the high 5(firmly nestled under a breast) and lower range I would think.. I could be wrong though.. I've known very few female bassists.. In fact all of them I've ever known are through forums such as this so I would be interested in that input.

Feel free to visit my band's site

Delusional Mind

I was clicking through the bassists on that page getting a feel for the positions used.. i'm on the D's (so far most are 2-5) and came across this.. It made me smile so I thought I'd share..

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ef/HorrorPops_live_in_Montreal%2C_2006.jpg/800px-HorrorPops_live_in_Montreal%2C_2006.jpg

Feel free to visit my band's site

Delusional Mind

Why hasn't this thread devolved into random quotes by charaters from Monty Python, Mel Brooks, or Jeremy C?

I'm guessing the upright doesn't fit within the paramaters of the study, so I'm copping out.

I'd like to welcome our forum's newest member and only #1 position, Msr. Henri de Toulouse-Lartrec!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Here is a List of Female Bass Players.

Someone should do some research (Purely in the interests of science of course).

That's a pretty incomplete list. The first two coming to mind are Lydia Kaboesj who's just signed an endorsement deal with Fender and Rhonda Smith who probably had one of the highest profile gigs. To say nothing of Divinity who definitely has a massive profile gig with Beyonce. I wouldn't say those were not notable. All are monster players too. Then there's Debra Killings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyRqQwdN-Lw Wow!

and Amanda Ruzza

I guess it was a fairly rock-centred list.

Perhaps the biggest omission was Kim Clarke from Defunkt.

Sorry Davo, this should be another thread!

We've had some notable female forumites over the years and I've hung out with a few female bassists and taught one in the past. I think there are plenty out there. I wonder if generally there are less women on forums in general - or if the reason we have less on here is to do with the atmosphere of the forum or a gender difference in forum use or that they're all too busy working.

Why hasn't this thread devolved into random quotes by charaters from Monty Python, Mel Brooks, or Jeremy C?

I'm guessing the upright doesn't fit within the paramaters of the study, so I'm copping out.

I'd like to welcome our forum's newest member and only #1 position, Msr. Henri de Toulouse-Lartrec!

No Time Toulouse.

Push the button Frank.

Considering the turn the topic has made, we can count ourselves lucky the thread hasn't degenerated into a list of boob jokes... :blush:

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I wonder if generally there are less women on forums in general - or if the reason we have less on here is to do with the atmosphere of the forum or a gender difference in forum use or that they're all too busy working.

They're probably all too busy playing the gigs we didn't get because we were too busy on the forum.

In my humble but insanely sexist opinion, if I were female, I'd have an easier time getting past the auditions. Most of them are with bands consisting of sweaty, over-weight, out-of-shape, fourty-something men trying desperately to regain some shard of their forever lost youth

.... myself included!

A mildly attractive female with a wink and a hint of clevage will have a serious advantage over me if all other factors are equal. Fourtunealtly, not many of Jeremy's stundents live here in Eastern Washington.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Archived