Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hard drives ?

Jazz+

Which would you chose? (I will later add a fast 10,000rpm HD) But in the mean time:

500GB RAID 1 (2 x 500GB SATA HDDs) - data security

FEATURES: Two 500GB 7200rpm Serial ATA hard drives and a RAID disc controller. BENEFITS: Serial ATA RAID solutions allow you to protect your important data or increase your PC's performance. The default setting (RAID 1) allows you to duplicate (or "mirror") data on multiple drives. This solution provides immediate recovery if a drive fails. Note: System storage capacity is the same size as the smallest drive with RAID 1. 1GB = one billion bytes when referring to hard drive capacity. Actual formatted capacity is less. Up to 12GB of memory reserved for system recovery software.

1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive

FEATURES: 1000GB (1 terabyte) total storage, 7200 rpm speed, SATA 3Gb/s hard drive. BENEFITS: SATA 3Gb/s is a new generation of storage interface technology featuring data transfer rates that are faster than current SATA drives. The actual data transfer rate may be significantly less than 3 Gb/s. 1GB = one billion bytes when referring to hard drive capacity. Actual formatted capacity is less. Up to 12GB of the hard drive is reserved for the system recovery software.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Desktop 64 bit Vista Windows PC with 8 GB RAM and Intel Core 2 Quad processor Q9550 (2.83GHz).

For use with EWQL Pianos, EW Orchestra Gold, EW Player

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Which would we choose what? What are you going to use this for? What is your budget? Are you going to use it in a laptop or in a Cray supercomputer? For playing Solitaire or running a 10 terabyte database?

If you care about your data, RAID is a good thing, but you still need to have offline backups to protect against fire, theft, etc.

If you care about your data, RAID is a good thing, but you still need to have offline backups to protect against fire, theft, etc.

I like a large internal storage drive plus off-line backup.

Currently I'm using a Raptor as my primary system drive plus a Western Digital 750 Gig SATA for (internal) storage of music, photos, video, and miscellaneous data.

For backup I use 7,200 RPM external drives through USB 2.0. I've got four of them. I keep two of them off-site, at my office.

For the other two, one is a Western Digital "MyBook" 1 TB. The other is a small (400 Gig) drive I pulled out of my PC and put in an external enclosure.

I chose USB 2.0 because it's ubiquitous. But I plan to switch to eSATA for the I/O improvement in the future.

It depends on the importance of your data, how often you backup, and your paranoia factor. You may want to use RAID plus multiple external backup drives and keep them in various places besides your residence (in case of fire or theft).

The choice is yours. (It's good to have choices.) :)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Price should be a factor, right? Manufacturer should be as well, as some hard drive manufacturers are known for better quality than others. As with anything else, you usually get what you pay for with the cheaper units.

But assuming all that stuff is equal (since you didn't provide that info), and both of these drives are within your budget, I'd go with the 1TB drive. Nothing else about the the specs for either is distinguishable in my opinion. Might as well get the one with the most space.

Archived